"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 03-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
Master Chef

Upside down tomato plants

Has anyone tried the Topsy Turvy™ Tomato Planter - Harriet Carter - Customer Favorites They are containers you hang and plant with tomato plants (in dirt/potting soil) that then grow out the bottom of the container. I don't have the yard for a garden and would love to have some fresh tomatoes this summer and thought about trying these but wasn't sure how well the tomatoes grow.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Executive Chef

My neighbors had those last year and they grew beautiful tomatoes.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
Master Chef

You might want to check out this thread we had last year about this: Upside-Down Tomatoes
Old 03-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

i currently have two, planted tomatoes in both. about two weeks ago, plants not seeds. one died , the other seems to be holding its own. will know more as season progresses. i think i will do some other vegs, in one that is now empty. have tomatos in a pot as well.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
You might want to check out this thread we had last year about this: Upside-Down Tomatoes
Thanks for the link. Somehow I missed that thread. I'm thinking about trying it. They are only $10 so I won't be out much if it doesn't do well. Thanks for all the info.

Babetoo, let me know how yours grows. I'll let you know when I get mine started.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
Head Chef

I have a similar product from Gardener's Supply. It was a gift from my parents for our anniversary and we love it! My husband had our local welder make a stand that would support the weight so it sits at the corner of the garden. If you are prone to storms, you will want to be sure it is protected as the vines will break easily if it gets tossed about or falls over (speaking from experience here). Also, they dry out really fast - it seemed faster than our potted things. The one we have has a gallon reserve on top and it needed to be filled at least once a day.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
Master Chef

I ordered one last year, but they were so popular that I didn't receive mine until August! Obviously, way past tomato planting season. I do plan on using it this season though. When I plant in the ground I use "early girls" because our season is so short. But I've also grown plum tomatoes and, last year, what was called "Amish Paste" tomatoes. Any advice about what varieties work well in the topsy-turvey?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
Head Chef

I think any variety would work well. We put a beef steak in ours and until it fell over, it was doing really well. The tomatoes we did get off of the vines that were left were perfectly shaped and delicious!
Old 03-25-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
Cook

I am fixing to make my own up side down planters for tomattos. Going to drill a 2-2 1/2" hole on the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. Cut circles out or roofing paper that will cover the bottom of the bucket. Over the hole cut a slit big enough to slide the tomato start through. Than fill the pot up with dirt.

Bonus: You can now plant herbs on top of the tomato plant. Your basiclly getting 2 for 1. You can also plant flowers on the top if your not into growing your own herbs and spices.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:45 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Thanks for the link. Somehow I missed that thread. I'm thinking about trying it. They are only $10 so I won't be out much if it doesn't do well. Thanks for all the info.

Babetoo, let me know how yours grows. I'll let you know when I get mine started.

i am so excited, i have tomatos in the topsy turvey planter. 7 little ones, it is a cherry tomato plant, early producer. now if the birds will just leave em alone. replayed in the one where plant died. to soon to tell on it. little green worms at a bunch of lettuce. guess that is the risk you take, so did you plant in yours? how doing?