Upside-Down Tomatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael in FtW

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I was watching TV the other night while sitting with Mom at the hospital and saw a commercial that really interested me - and reminded me of the thread about planting tomato plants sideways. How about upside-down?

The product was the Topsy Turvy™ Upside-down Tomato Planter - they made a claim that got my attention - that since the plant was upside-down more nutrients traveled to the fruits easier ... but, after doing a Google on upside-down tomato plants ... it seems this just might be a valid technique - not only for tomatoes but other vegetables as well!

Humm ... could I really just build an arbor and hang my vegetable garden upside-down from it?

Interesting, we could hang these off the side of the garage and house and they would be decorative and productive.
Kinda reminds me of hanging gardens, but I don't think they were planted upside down, just allowed to cascade down.

Michael,
I saw this several years ago and am really considering doing several plants just to see how it goes. Since I have to be careful what I do now, I plan to hang the plants from the patio. They will get full sun as requested and we shall see what I get..
I think it's going to be fun for the grandkids...

kadesma

I have to tell you - this idea works!!

My dad saw the commercial and decided to try it for himself. I don't think he bought them - he's the kind of guy that can figure out how to make virtually anything. Anyhow, the tomatoes grow out of the bottom of the pot, and he planted annuals on the top. The tomatoes are super healthy and need no stakes! Also, since the pots are hanging, they are beautiful additions to the landscaping.

My mom brought me an upside down tomato about 5 years ago--she just put it in a big terracotta pot, and it did fine.

A plastic pot would hold water better, and be lighter to hang.

seems like those planter would be easy to make out of plastic buckets with lids or even garbage bags..lol..just not as pretty.

seems like those planter would be easy to make out of plastic buckets with lids or even garbage bags..lol..just not as pretty.

Well, I don't know about trash bags (they would need a wire cage to support them probably?) but a 5-gallon bucket would work fine (see here for instructions) and if you leave the lid off - you can grow herbs in the same container!

I was watching TV the other night while sitting with Mom at the hospital and saw a commercial that really interested me - and reminded me of the thread about planting tomato plants sideways. How about upside-down?

The product was the Topsy Turvy™ Upside-down Tomato Planter - they made a claim that got my attention - that since the plant was upside-down more nutrients traveled to the fruits easier ... but, after doing a Google on upside-down tomato plants ... it seems this just might be a valid technique - not only for tomatoes but other vegetables as well!

Humm ... could I really just build an arbor and hang my vegetable garden upside-down from it?
hanging plants would be good, animals would not be able to get to it.

I've seen print ad's for these for quite awhile. I saw a tv commercial for them tonight and thought I might buy them for my sister. She and her hubby grow as many tomatoes as possible in the little spot they have. They would be able to grow more off of their garage by hanging them.

I'm wondering about other's real-life experience with them as well...

Hi... I'm new at DC! I tried a hanging tomato... I made a container out of an empty kitty litter bucket. The tomato died, however I think it died because I started it too early. Our spring has been much cooler than normal, and it just couldn't get going. I'm going to try another though!

Michael,
Grow toms any way, which way they grow - they will find the light and be glorious. BUT just make sure that you feed them lots and plenty - as you progress the little plant from one pot to another, place a banana skin on the bottom. Toms love the potassium given by banana skins. I skid you not!

Archiduc

:) I think this would be a fun way to grow tomatoes all year. In the winter you could actually suspend your plants from the ceiling in front of a sunny window it would look great in sunny kitchen. I wonder what else one can grow upside down?

any vine will grow "upside down". squash and pumpkins are the first that come to mind.

the only problem that i've heard about growing upside down tomatoes is that the juice runs up your forehead when you bite into one fresh from the vine...:cool:

I just planted six tomato plants upside down last night. I bought the 5 gallon buckets at the 'helpful hardware place" and they happened to be on sale.

I drilled 2.5 inch holes in the bottoms and put some foam rubber in the bottoms. Cut an "X" where the hole is. Stuff the plant up thru the hole and the foam. The foam keeps the dirt from washing out.

Holding the plant by the roots, put in dirt about two-thirds of the way up. The lady who told me about this system uses small plastic bottles with one small hole punched in the side to trickle water the plants. The bottle is put in the bucket so just the top opening is above the rim of the bucket. Then fill the bucket on up with dirt.

She also bored a hole in the side of the bucket and stuck herbs in it. I did not do that.

I nailed a 2X6 board between two sheds, bored holes in the boards and used nylon rope to suspend the buckets.
Now I just need to watch and see if I got them high enough off the ground.

Bob

Gee, I ordered one of these ... they must be very popular, it's been on backorder forever. I'll have it on time for Christmas at this rate, when there's a foot of snow on the ground and we don't have enough hours of daylight to grow anything besides low-light house plants!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom