"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 02-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #21
Master Chef

Good to know - thanks!

Old 02-20-2008, 12:20 PM   #22
Executive Chef

So here's the first problem I've encountered. The lights. I can't get them to go on when I want, they keep going on at 5:55 am and I want them to go on just a little later. They go off at the right time, but not on.

And the other problem is I'm impatient. I want results now, not a week from now.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #23
Master Chef

Callisto - the major point & advantage of the Aerogarden is that it's supposed to be as self-sufficient as possible. The lights are set to go on & off to provide an optimum "light" time frame for the plants. I'm sure you realize that you can't decide how long the lights are on or off & still expect good results. I don't think you're supposed to fiddle with it. If you want to adjust the time-on/time-off while still keeping the same light time frame, you may want to re-read the instructions or contact Aerogarden's customer service.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Callisto - the major point & advantage of the Aerogarden is that it's supposed to be as self-sufficient as possible. The lights are set to go on & off to provide an optimum "light" time frame for the plants. I'm sure you realize that you can't decide how long the lights are on or off & still expect good results. I don't think you're supposed to fiddle with it. If you want to adjust the time-on/time-off while still keeping the same light time frame, you may want to re-read the instructions or contact Aerogarden's customer service.
But you can pick the 8 hours you want the lights off. I want them off 10:45 - 6:45 but they keep going on at 6 instead of 6:45. I have re-read and re-read again the instructions and they go off at 10:45 but on at 6, which is too long for the lights to be on. There are instructions so you can pick your 8 hours (obviously grow lights can be a red flag for some people's neighbors). Mine just doesn't seem to be cooperating with the full 8 hours. I've emailed the company and am just waiting for their response.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #25
Master Chef

Speaking of the lights - I just did an online investigation on them, & apparently Aerogarden says that they have to be replaced every six months to the tune of $20 apiece in order to get the results you see in their ads. Apparently they don't mention this point in any or all of their online advertising stuff - it comes with the info when/after you've already bought the unit. And the bulbs can only be bought from Aerogarden.

At two bulbs per unit, that comes out to $80 per year (plus shipping) just for the lights (not counting the pods & nutritional tablets, yadayadayada).

I could buy a helluva lot of supermarket herbs, greens, tomatoes, & peppers for that.

I'm thinking I'll be taking a pass on this until Aerogarden figures out a way to make this a little less greedy & a little more consumer friendly.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

Thank you very much for that BreezyCooking, that's just the sort of info I needed. That's definately put the tin hat on that idea.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Mine's definitely going back. It's annoying. The lights stay on 17 hours a day which has got to effect my electric bill and at only two dollars a fresh pack, getting fresh from Harris Teeter is just easier. My only problem is I left the box in the rain so I have to wait for it to dry out.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

unless they've got a proprietary system going, i'll bet you can get the same or similar bulbs from another manufacturer or supplier much cheaper.

i will look into this as i eventually get my system set up.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Well Bucky, the lights aren't like anything I've seen before. For as long as they are on per day, I can see the need for replacing.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

it could be proprietary, as i said callisto. that would sucketh.

but that just means a chinese company hasn't found out yet about the profit margin that can be made by making slightly inferior but matching parts.

the internet is a great thing for finding even the most bizarre spare parts.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote