vegetables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

africhef

Sous Chef
this summer we planted 3 varieties of tomatoes, peppers, canteloupe, strawberries and squash. so this past weekend we rented a roto-tiller and tilled a15/30 ft garden planted spinach, radishes, cress, turnips and rape. It was impossible to find onion, garlic,shallots, leeks and rhubarb locally so had to order it online. I am going gung-ho with this organic thing. When do I have time to finish my mosaic comissions?

Do you guys have leaf footed bugs in your neck of the woods? If so, I would love to hear how you combat against them organically? They ruined my tomatoes this year!

I had them here in southeastern Virginia. Luckily I had more tomatoes than we could eat, give away or preserve, so I let them be, but our extension agent recommended Sevin; you have to wait at least 14 days after applying it before eating the fruits.

I think the only organic control for them is hand-picking early in the season, before the population gets too large. Throw them into a jar of soapy water and throw them away.

africhef, I don't have answers - we live in diffent areas. I applaud your efforts in organic gardening. I've gradually made a shift in the same direction and haven't used anything else in the past 5 years.

If you keep looking for answers you will be rewarded tenfold.

Best of Luck!

simplicity, thank you got my mail order stuff in still need to plant garlic, shallots and onions. also brought my mosaic work inside so am going gung ho with that

GotGarlic, Yea, sevin is what Im going to use next year. I tried the handpicking approach this year. I spent a good bit of time picking those bugs off, and the next day I would find twice as many. I read on another forum that someone recommended using a dust buster to suck them up. That may make picking a little faster. But I think I'm going to go with the sevin next year. Our garden is a little bigger than the average back yard garden and with a little baby in the house time is at a premium.

I've had good luck with a spray that's called Schultz Garden Safe (1% neem oil). It's primarily a fungicide, but it repels the bugs, aphids, etc. also. No wait for harvest. So non-toxic, you can spray it on your skin. It's supposed to be better than DEET for repelling mosquitos (but you'll smell funny):LOL:
Google "neem oil" for details.

I've had good luck with a spray that's called Schultz Garden Safe (1% neem oil). It's primarily a fungicide, but it repels the bugs, aphids, etc. also. No wait for harvest. So non-toxic, you can spray it on your skin. It's supposed to be better than DEET for repelling mosquitos (but you'll smell funny):LOL:
Google "neem oil" for details.

Have you had luck using neem oil on leaf footed bugs or stink bugs, squash bugs?

Back
Top Bottom