"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 09-01-2015, 12:07 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Waxy Breakdown....wahhhh...my garlic

We've had extremely above-normal heat this summer. I harvested 500+bulbs of gorgeous garlic and got it all cured, only to find many of the bulbs have something called waxy breakdown. Some cloves on many of the bulbs are like they were roasted in the ground. Edible and not bad tasting but they won't store well and affected cloves probably won't sprout.

For years I've been cultivating several varieties with the goal of huge cloves that peel easily and store until May. And I was down to 10 or so varieties (from 39!) Argh. I guess I'll be making garlic jam or something and we'll dehydrate what we can. At least the cloves are big, sighhhhh....

Old 09-01-2015, 12:12 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh no! I have no advice, Bookbrat, only sympathy.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:48 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh no! I have no advice, Bookbrat, only sympathy.
What Dawg said.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Master Chef

Sorry to hear that the garlic went wonky for you. One use for all those cloves: some stores around here sell peeled cloves in oil. Haven't a clue how they process them to make them shelf-stable, but if you have refrigerator space or a cold-enough cold storage area you might be able to keep them safe. Sorry, that's all I got. Better luck with next year's crop.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Sorry to hear that the garlic went wonky for you. One use for all those cloves: some stores around here sell peeled cloves in oil. Haven't a clue how they process them to make them shelf-stable, but if you have refrigerator space or a cold-enough cold storage area you might be able to keep them safe. Sorry, that's all I got. Better luck with next year's crop.
You have to be really, really careful about garlic in oil because of the risk of botulism. I vaguely remember something about max one week in the fridge. I would guess that garlic infused oil might be safer, but I would do some research first.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You have to be really, really careful about garlic in oil because of the risk of botulism. I vaguely remember something about max one week in the fridge. I would guess that garlic infused oil might be safer, but I would do some research first.
I always put a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice in the oil. The acid helps hinder the development of botulism. I also will soak the cloves in lemon juice first. And no, it doesn't affect the taste of the garlic at all. But it does give me a small piece of mind.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Commercial garlic in oil preparations have to be treated with acidifying agents, like citric acid, or antimicrobial agents.

Addie, unless you're testing the pH of your mixture, a couple of tablespoons probably isn't enough to make it safe. Also, since oil and water-based liquids like lemon juice don't mix easily, there are probably pockets of the oil that aren't treated where botulism can grow.

Bookbrat, sorry to hear about your garlic. One preservation method you could try would be to bake chopped garlic in oil with lime juice, to essentially make roasted garlic in oil, then refrigerate it.

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/sl...d-garlic-mojo/
Old 09-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Waxy Breakdown....wahhhh...my garlic

I would probably roast the whole waxy shebang, then freeze it smooshed flat in a ziplock. Then you can break off a chunk as needed.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:57 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I like having options I've processed my garden tomatoes into purée, roasted and diced, and halved and roasted, and tomatillos into diced and frozen, and made into salsa and frozen. So I would make this garlic mojo and also freeze some the way you describe. The mojo can then be used as-is in salad dressings or marinades or for sautéing or brushing on meats or veggies for the grill.

I'm making myself hungry I'm going to get a bunch of garlic headset at the farmers market this weekend and make some mojo
Old 09-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Bookbrat, I wonder how onion and garlic jam would be... 😉

Tags
garlic