"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 05-18-2011, 02:35 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by web-collage View Post
What sort of shallots do you plant? Any recommendations?
I live in the UK so the names might not relate but this may help http://www.suttons.co.uk

Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia View Post
The garden looks great. I don't remember where you live, but it must be a very mild climate. Dh just built me a garden spot - 4 feet x 10 feet x 10 inches. We purchased the soil today and I can't wait to get planting. I've noticed that many people are planting late this year.
Thank you, I live in North Wales UK before climate change we did have a wet and mild winters and summers the coldest this winter was a record -19c this April was the driest and hottest on record my second home is Croatia they too are experiencing freak weather. Two weeks ago it was 28c the usual temp is 22c on Saturday it snowed they very rarely get snow in the winter but it has never happened in the spring in that part of Croatia.
Best of luck with your garden although I know South Florida well and if you live there with your climate you don't need luck or hurricanes.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
Senior Cook

"The shallots I've grown are a bit too mild for my taste. In your area, I'd suggest you give garlic chives a try. Garlic chives (Chinese leeks) are a perennial that can survive summer heat averaging 90+F and thrive in the 40 - 70F spring and fall temps and survive 0 deg F. winters."

Will givethem a try. Local farmers don't grow shallots and even those in the grocery store are large and bland. Maybe will have to order some from a specialty garden source.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by web-collage
"The shallots I've grown are a bit too mild for my taste. In your area, I'd suggest you give garlic chives a try. Garlic chives (Chinese leeks) are a perennial that can survive summer heat averaging 90+F and thrive in the 40 - 70F spring and fall temps and survive 0 deg F. winters."

Will givethem a try. Local farmers don't grow shallots and even those in the grocery store are large and bland. Maybe will have to order some from a specialty garden source.
Walmart had some shallots for planting, I am giving them a try, supposedly will produce 5 or more bulbs for each bulb planted. They have gorgeous shoots which are absolutely delicious, if I keep eating the shoots, we may not get any shallots!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

beautiful lawn and garden, bolas! i'm quite envious.

jpb, i grew garlic chives in my garden last year and they not only survived the past rough winter (under a drift of 5 feet of snow most of it), but are twice the size of last year and are flourishing!

i wonder if they'll grow into a leek like plant as you'd mentioned. will have to look it up.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
beautiful lawn and garden, bolas! i'm quite envious.

jpb, i grew garlic chives in my garden last year and they not only survived the past rough winter (under a drift of 5 feet of snow most of it), but are twice the size of last year and are flourishing!

i wonder if they'll grow into a leek like plant as you'd mentioned. will have to look it up.
My neighbour grows it in her backyard. It just keeps coming back like chives. It will probably spread if it has the space.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Gosh, will try garlic chives and WalMart shallots. We had an early spring here but it can't seem to warm up, still snow and sleet last week. Seems like good weather for shallots and chives.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Beautiful, BDF! Mmmm, strawberries...