What are you planning for your kitchen garden this spring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so far I have growing 12 celery, 6 flat leafed parsley, 15 broccoli and cabbage, 3 hot peppers, 9 green peppers and about 600 onion plants. I am still 8 weeks away from my last frost date. That means I will start tomatoes and basil in about 2 weeks.

My deck is far too shady for growing herbs, but I do have room for a one large and one small herb pots on the steps to the front entry, which faces the south. I put Italian parsley in the smaller one, and the larger one holds rosemary, thyme, and oregano. As those are all perennials, when it gets cold, I move it inside the entry, and leave it there until the temps start getting below 20. I bring them in to the greenhouse then, because I want to use the herbs all winter.
But they could stay in the protected location all winter, as long as it doesn't get too dry. The water in the soil freezes at 32, and stays that temperature, protecting the roots from colder temps. Don't over-water though, or the roots will rot.
My greenhouse employees used to think I was crazy when I sent them out in January to water the perennials in the cold frames, because the plants looked dead. But when they starting popping up the next spring, they were amazed.

I plant sweet basil, sage, and more Italian parsley out in the vegetable garden. They grow much better in the ground than they do in pots.

Last edited:
Interesting on the blueberries in H-Town wonder how they will do in all that heat and humidity I am surprized that you do good with grapes. I need to find a grape variety that will do well here in cold hot humid dirty philly....

I know, they said it was a variety good for this area. We grow something called muscadine grapes which are native to Texas and the SE. There's actually tons of species of wild grapes in Texas. We usually just make jelly out of 'em.

When we lived in an apartment, DH wired window boxes to the outside of the fire escape railing - that was my first herb garden :) Maybe if you can put the herbs on the railing around the verandah (since presumably the containers are smaller and lighter), you'll have more room on the verandah for the larger tomato and chile plants? HTH.

i REALLY like that idea....
have a SO who's not so keen on greenery hehehe, im pushing it with the corner of the balcony and am growing him chillis LOL
:huh:*wonders how to incorporate the idea* *wonders really really hard*:huh:
ok now i just have to a Railing Herb Garden

So far just...cilantro and cherry tomatoes...some basil,garlic chives and vidailia onions are next an the agenda. I have to plant in pots as I live in an RV named "Herbie"-on a lake in the Florida Panhandle...42/72 here and beautiful.:cool:

muscadine wine...

I live in the Florida Panhandle and mucadine grapes are bountiful:cool:
I know, they said it was a variety good for this area. We grow something called muscadine grapes which are native to Texas and the SE. There's actually tons of species of wild grapes in Texas. We usually just make jelly out of 'em.

I always plant flowers among my veggies and herbs. They add a lot of color, attract butterflies and insects that pollenate the veg and they make the garden look great There are many edible flowers to choose from too. Just to a web-search for edible flowers.

I always plant flowers among my veggies and herbs. They add a lot of color, attract butterflies and insects that pollenate the veg and they make the garden look great There are many edible flowers to choose from too. Just to a web-search for edible flowers.

I plant marigolds, basil and chives as companion plants with my veggie garden, to discourage nematodes and other pests. It's a square garden, so the inside and outside corners get the marigolds. Here's a photo from a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• veggie garden.jpg
    veggie garden.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 199
I'm probably a week or so late but I'm starting my eggplants and peppers today. I can plant around mother's day here, maybe a little later.
There's not much I'm not planting this year!

I plant marigolds, basil and chives as companion plants with my veggie garden, to discourage nematodes and other pests. It's a square garden, so the inside and outside corners get the marigolds. Here's a photo from a couple of years ago.

That looks nice. If I had more room in my yard I'd like to try that! (Previous owners had a thing for pavement, and a trampoline pit--what a waste of perfectly good yard space!)

You could actually count marigolds as food though. You can use the petals to garnish salads and such. Pansies too. I prefer to leave mine in the ground though. :)

btw, is that turtle real?

That looks nice. If I had more room in my yard I'd like to try that! (Previous owners had a thing for pavement, and a trampoline pit--what a waste of perfectly good yard space!)

You could actually count marigolds as food though. You can use the petals to garnish salads and such. Pansies too. I prefer to leave mine in the ground though. :)

btw, is that turtle real?

That garden is only a 10'x12' space. I'd get DH to rent a (shoot, what is the name for that tool that breaks concrete?) or get a sledgehammer and get rid of the pavement.

I might try the marigolds in salad - that sounds interesting. The turtle is actually a water sprinkler.

a jackhammer?

you need a big belly to hang over the handle to operate one properly, gg. :)

Well I qualify for that one, I just don't think my doc would recommend it. Might jiggle the baby out. ;)

Seriously though, I'd love more than anything to get a jackhammer and haul the cement away and fill in the pit. But I think it would be cheaper for us just to buy a new house--which is the long term plan. (Long term as in, hopefully about 5 years).

Back
Top Bottom