"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 05-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What do YOU do with radish greens?

I minced some up and threw them into the taco meat last night. I grow organically, and hate to waste anything. Just wondering if anyone else had any ideas?

Old 05-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Garnish green salad.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Salad. I also mix them with other steamed greens. You can also steam kohlrabi tops if you grow kohlrabi, and don't forget pea sprouts are lovely in salads.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I minced some up and threw them into the taco meat last night. I grow organically, and hate to waste anything. Just wondering if anyone else had any ideas?
Dawg try making soup of them they are really good in salad I use the whole thing radish and leaves, for the soup I chop them then saute with sliced green onions,garlic and several potatoes that I bake then cut into dice mix all together with a small can of chicken stock and some milk and half/half yummers.I mix the leaves with orange or lemon zest, some evoo, arugula or curley endive or even watercress or all three, add fresh chopped parsley, tarragon, a few thyme leaves sweet onion or shallots, avocado, heirloom tomatoe chunks. Hope this helps.
kadesma
Old 05-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Just a note on radish greens--they are best when the radishes are most tender--as the radish gets woody, the greens get a bit prickly. The other thing I do with them is grind them (raw) for the dog veggies...
Old 05-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
Just a note on radish greens--they are best when the radishes are most tender--as the radish gets woody, the greens get a bit prickly. The other thing I do with them is grind them (raw) for the dog veggies...
The radishes are the size of marbles now. I sliced and mixed them up with the greens and the lettuce volunteers and we had a very nice taco salad!

My beagle would love them in her biscuits!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Dawg try making soup of them they are really good in salad I use the whole thing radish and leaves, for the soup I chop them then saute with sliced green onions,garlic and several potatoes that I bake then cut into dice mix all together with a small can of chicken stock and some milk and half/half yummers.I mix the leaves with orange or lemon zest, some evoo, arugula or curley endive or even watercress or all three, add fresh chopped parsley, tarragon, a few thyme leaves sweet onion or shallots, avocado, heirloom tomatoe chunks. Hope this helps.
kadesma
Thanks, Kadesma! I will also try this with the wild nettles in my wild flower garden!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Thanks, Kadesma! I will also try this with the wild nettles in my wild flower garden!
Let me know how it goes. I love all things green for salads and fixed like we do spinach.
kades
Old 05-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
Master Chef

There's a French bistro-style soup that uses radish greens, but for the life of my I can't find my cookbook that has the recipe. While there are a number of cream-type radish-green soups online, the one I'm thinking of is tomato-based. If I can find it, I'll post it.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Nettles--I have lots of those, and we thought we'd try them one spring...no thanks--must be an acquired taste. (I found that they taste like "manure" because that is what they smelled like to me when cooked). But I love milkweed buds...those are worth the time it takes to boil, drain, boil, drain, boil again.