What to do with lots of parsley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I have just harvested a bunch of parsley:

IMG_3299.JPG

and I have more in the garden that has to be harvested very soon.

Other than tabbouleh, any suggestions for using up a lot of parsley?

How's about whirling it in the blender or FP and freezing it in ice cube trays with a bit of water. Then pop out and bag 'em. Then you can use it in whatever you want.

I've also had luck digging up basil and parsley, potting them up, and bringing them inside to a sunny window. They may not end up looking pretty, but they still taste good.

Pesto is always a good one too.

Last edited:
Yes...parsley pesto would be nice :)

You could dry some of them Taxy and have a few dried herbs :)

Maybe use them half and half. I've seen lots of recipes that recommend that. Half parsley, half basil.

Last edited:
I also had an abundance of parsley this year (along with oregano, chives, basil, and mint). I ended up making Chimichurri sauce - which freezes very well, by the way.

Chimichurri Recipe | Simply Recipes

I put it in quart size ziplocs and stick it in the freezer. The olive oil will turn a little cloudy, but will clear up again once it thaws.

I also had an abundance of parsley this year (along with oregano, chives, basil, and mint). I ended up making Chimichurri sauce - which freezes very well, by the way.

Chimichurri Recipe | Simply Recipes

I put it in quart size ziplocs and stick it in the freezer. The olive oil will turn a little cloudy, but will clear up again once it thaws.
Now that sounds like an idea. I just happen to have fresh oregano growing in a pot in my living room.

I have never eaten chimichurri sauce. What sorts of stuff do you use it with?

How's about whirling it in the blender or FP and freezing it in ice cube trays with a bit of water. Then pop out and bag 'em. Then you can use it in whatever you want.

I've also had luck digging up basil and parsley, potting them up, and bringing them inside to a sunny window. They may not end up looking pretty, but they still taste good.

I don't have room for more plants in the house. :LOL: I already have a very large pot of basil and one of mint. Medium sized pot of rosemary and a large pot of parsley, thyme, and two kinds of oregano. And one small pot of parsley that I dug up today.

I may use your whirl it in the FP method, but I think I'll use some vegi stock instead of water.

I freeze my parsley this way too, it works well.

Parsley soup. It freezes well if you don't add the cottage cheese until you are ready to eat it.

Parsley Soup Recipe | Cookthink

Pistou

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/pistou-80521.html

Italian "salsa verde" which is a bunch of chopped (finely) parsley, garlic, EVOO, red wine vinegar (3:1 EVOO to vinegar), some anchovie paste, S&P. This freezes well. You don't use the FP for this--you see the parsley floating in in the EVOO. It is great on fish or roasted chicken, toasted garlic bread, seafood.

Last edited:
Mango Parsley Smoothies
2 servings

Bunch of Parsley

2 fresh or frozen Mangos

1 frozen Banana

1/2 Cup Almond Milk

1/2 Cup Orange Juice

If using fresh Mangoes then you might
want to add 2 ice cubes. You can use any
kind of juice. I use pomegranate juice in
my fruit smoothies.