What to grow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since we are surrounded by timber, I have only one 8x10 patch in my yard with pretty much full sun. I grow veggies in containers from Gardeners Supply. I currently have radishes, lettuce, bush cukes, tomatoes and peppers, and Walmart shallot bulbs.
They did well last year and are thriving now. Also have bush green beans in containers on the deck. They have been extremely prolific every year, and I can harvest them up to the first frost.

Last edited:
Did she grow them in the winter or in the summer? Depending on where you are in Mexico, you get more of a hot/cool season than hot/cold season. In Texas at least, you simply can't grow much of anything vegetable-wise after about late June because it is too hot for the pollen in most plants to work (except maybe okra and eggplants). I find that a curious topic.

Right now I have tomatoes in 5 gal buckets, bell peppers and jalapenos in 3 gal nursery pots, and I just started some green pole beans in 3 gal pots with a trellis. It's way late for those but my patio only gets around 4 hours of good sun so that might compensate for it being hotter.

She lives on Cozumel, where the temp rarely gets below 70, though they had a pretty cool winter this year (60s at times.). I think she grows year-round. She sent me pics, they looked great!

Interesting about the pollen. Folks are saying it's hotter in Texas than some places in the tropics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom