What to grow in Phoenix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

USA Kiwi

Assistant Cook
It's hot here already, and I was hoping to grow some herbs this year (just in pots, not in the ground).

Has anyone had success with this, or have suggestions as to what grows best here?

I'm new to the desert climate - and already suffering in the 99 degree heat in APRIL.

Hi, Kiwi. I would suggest checking with your local university extension office. They should have lots of information on what and how to grow things there. Good luck.

also simply go the a store that sells plants and seeds. they should be able to help you. we have been having a heat wave that is like the desert. mine are up and growing. water becomes the cruical factor. i use a moisture meter, so no guessing. so far so good.

i planted from seeds, mostly and just barely misted the soil til they came up. if u overwater seeds, they will simply rot. good luck

When my folks lived there, mom did her growing at other times, not the summer. The plants burned up. It depends on what you want to grow. I would second the recommendations to seek information from the county extension agency, look for master Gardeners.

Having lived in Phoenix for 20+ years with an herb garden on the east side of the house, I grew tons of rosemary, Italian parsley, basil, thymes, sages with no problems at all. They did take a lot of water to keep them healthy, though. I tried some of the herbs on the south side but it was far to hot and they got too lanky instead of being lush looking.

Back
Top Bottom