What's in the Garden?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you will love container gardening, Katie. We're surrounded on 3 sides here by timber, so I have to run around and find the sunniest places, or be content with hostas and ferns! Been using containers for years, and the yields can be really good, especially for bush beans, toms, peppers, and cukes for us.
I've had no luck with container gardening til last year...Now it's part of the way to go because I had a hard time getting out back to pick and water plants. I can do it now but I fell in love with the half barrels I put jalapeno's in one sweet Italian peppers for frying in an other, one has gladiolas another tomatoes a black krim, trees you name it my s-i-l has potted it, Calif poppies, strawberries, a blackberry, , plus all types of fruit trees. but out back there is corn, grapes,cucumber, melons but I love the half wine barrels best...
ma

Here is the start of our small humble trellis garden.
img_1144205_0_4dbc427085817a0056a5fea13828c068.jpg

Today
img_1144205_1_af53e32847ad97cc1dc264f70a9bceea.jpg

img_1144205_2_6bf8bcc66fff324382e5c63d610b7728.jpg

img_1144205_3_3fa10a3f70bb60f879a3ace55dda357f.jpg

img_1144205_4_382b2085ae0fe5b26f7f24a525d53cfe.jpg

img_1144205_5_cc78eaec30013333bf0523ba1f996204.jpg

img_1144205_6_13f1992683b8f6540a669b3a35814249.jpg

img_1144205_7_c2838ab07c687286249bcb00257667db.jpg

One of the herbs I bought in a small pot is winter thyme. Should I plant it in a pot or in the ground? Would it be likely to survive the winter in the ground? I live on Montreal Island, which is zone 5.

taxlady said:
One of the herbs I bought in a small pot is winter thyme. Should I plant it in a pot or in the ground? Would it be likely to survive the winter in the ground? I live on Montreal Island, which is zone 5.

Thyme doesn't overwinter well for me here, also zone 5. I've been planting it in the ground, then digging it up and bringing it inside to overwinter. I do have some groundcover creeping thyme, which does well outside year-round, but it doesn't have the good flavor of the cooking thymes.

I do like to have thyme in the house during winter, as I can snip and use it "anythyme"!

Last edited:

German winter thyme is a perennial and like most perennials, they come back in the spring. If you place a lot of mulch around it I would think it should do all right to winter it outside. My daughter has thyme and every year it comes back better and better. She started out mulching it and putting a plastic bag over it the first year. After that she just lets it do it own thing. The yard smells so nice though in the spring and summer from the thyme and other herbs she has growing. :chef:

Is your daughter in Boston, Addie? You're in zone 6. A lot of thymes are marginally hardy in zone 5. I've used mulch on mine, and they've croaked anyway! Used to replace them every year, now I just dig 'em up and bring 'em in, replant in the spring.

The creeping thyme is hardy to zone 4, but mine has little to no flavor.

Last edited:
Savannahsmoker said:
:ohmy:That's to bad because we have been using the up side down method for five years with great results.

A friend who lives in Mexico uses the upside down method with great success too.

Garlic & onions

just got back from a couple of days with bolas & madge.last november we planted overwintering japanese white onions,reds & thermidor garlic.madge lifted them this week & they are now in the shed drying ready for storage.i guess you don't know what an onion or garlic tastes like 'til you've had fresh.... they are sweet,sweet,sweet:yum:!!
the garlics are damn near the same size as the onions so maybe there are some pluses for the lousy weather with all the rain we've had this year:ermm:!!

Attachments

• ONIONS & GARLIC 11 JULY 2012 001.JPG
    ONIONS & GARLIC 11 JULY 2012 001.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 132
  • ONIONS & GARLIC 11 JULY 2012 003.JPG
    ONIONS & GARLIC 11 JULY 2012 003.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 149
  • ONIONS & GARLIC 11 JULY 2012 004.JPG
    ONIONS & GARLIC 11 JULY 2012 004.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 145
  • ONIONS & GARLIC 11 JULY 2012 005.JPG
    ONIONS & GARLIC 11 JULY 2012 005.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 179
They look great Harry
thumb.gif

The garlic looks huge...that is really good and I bet they taste lovely...nothing like homegrown :)

They look great Harry
thumb.gif

The garlic looks huge...that is really good and I bet they taste lovely...nothing like homegrown :)
g'day mate
they are sweeeeeet,i was eating chunks of raw onion like an apple & the garlic is sweet enough to finely chop & sprinkle on food raw.nice kick of heat from the garlic too:yum:!
never grown thermidor garlic before but will be planting twice as many this autumn:)!

Things are just starting to take off now. Here are a few of my pix. Tomatoes, peppers and strawberries. These are on the deck and patio, our other garden is at my MIL's house. We have potatoes, beans, carrots and onions over there.

Attachments

• IMG_20120713_091448.jpg
    IMG_20120713_091448.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20120713_091635.jpg
    IMG_20120713_091635.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20120713_091606.jpg
    IMG_20120713_091606.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 154
Is your daughter in Boston, Addie? You're in zone 6. A lot of thymes are marginally hardy in zone 5. I've used mulch on mine, and they've croaked anyway! Used to replace them every year, now I just dig 'em up and bring 'em in, replant in the spring.

The creeping thyme is hardy to zone 4, but mine has little to no flavor.

Yes, she is right around the corner from me. I think one of the reasons folks in this area are so successful in growing gardens, is because the ocean is only a block from us. Every morning in the summer there is fog covering the plant life. So even in a drought, the plants seem to be very happy. Go inland a mile or two and you have to put more effort into caring for the garden.

I have a theory of my own why this is. Folks who raise roses know that Epsom salts are very good for the flower. And I think the salt air does the same for the plant life close to the ocean. We have one of the last salt water marshes in this area Belle Isle Marsh. It is loaded with natural plant life that comes up through the salt sea water. In the summer you see folks there cutting down Cat O Nine Tails, and other plant life. Then next year that patch comes back even better. Cape Cod is a peninsular. When you get to Truro and Provincetown, you can walk from Cape Cod Bay to the Atlantic Ocean in less than five minutes. The land mass is very narrow. The sand dunes are covered with salt marsh grass. It holds the dunes in place. I don't kow the chemistry, but I think the salt air is good for plant life. :)

Things are just starting to take off now. Here are a few of my pix. Tomatoes, peppers and strawberries. These are on the deck and patio, our other garden is at my MIL's house. We have potatoes, beans, carrots and onions over there.

Wonderful lot you have there Alix :)

I really like the idea of growing strawberries...are they difficult to grow?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom