What's in the Garden?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cheryl J said:
That's awesome, dawg. Hope to see more pics! Sure wish I had the space for a garden. :)

Thank you! I grow all my vegetables in containers as we're surrounded by timber, and sun is at a premium. It seems to work!

Me too, I was just going to post my amazement at dawgluver's successful container gardening!

I too have to chase the sun as there are so many trees here, but am now inclined to think about branching out to something other than tomatoes, onions, and herbs next year. :)

If the critters in question are birds, in my experience they only strike when the tomatoes turn color. When I've had a problem, I went to a fabric store and bought green nylon net. It camouflaged the ripening tomatoes but let enough sun through.

I am picking tons of tomatoes and making bunches of pasta sauce which we eat all winter. We freeze ours. Still a bit timid to try canning. Most of the batches we like sweet and mix and match our varieties but a few batches we put in a good dose of our home grown hot pepper.

Well I can tell you what's "not" in the garden :)

DH cleaned out of the volunteer tomatillos and gave them to our neighbors. I was slightly disappointed, but then he showed me the quart jar of salsa that she gave him in return. :) she and her husband are Mexican and they cook authentic Mexican the majority of the time. I tried the salsa tonight on my leftover Mexican restaurant dinner.... It was excellent!! :)

Well I can tell you what's "not" in the garden :)

DH cleaned out of the volunteer tomatillos and gave them to our neighbors. I was slightly disappointed, but then he showed me the quart jar of salsa that she gave him in return. :) she and her husband are Mexican and they cook authentic Mexican the majority of the time. I tried the salsa tonight on my leftover Mexican restaurant dinner.... It was excellent!! :)
Sounds like an excellent exchange to me.

I agree!

Right now, we have one big pot of cherry toms outside, which we covered. And I potted up the basil and rosemary and brought them inside. Frost killed everything else. I did pick all the green toms, and made Alix's green mincemeat, which is excellent, btw. Everything else is pretty much shot.

We have not had a freeze yet, so there are still toms, potatoes, carrots and green onions in the garden. The kale has not fared as well, it has aphids :(. I guess I will need to get the tomatoes in soon....the rains will surely come soon. I would like to try green tomato mincemeat, MIL always used to make it.

Last edited:
My brother grows tomatoes, but doesn't eat them. He gives them to the neighbor who makes wonderful salsa. My brother doesn't eat salsa either. Once when I was there the neighbor gave me some of the salsa and it was SO good! Now every Christmas my brother sends me salsa!

My brother grows tomatoes, but doesn't eat them. He gives them to the neighbor who makes wonderful salsa. My brother doesn't eat salsa either. Once when I was there the neighbor gave me some of the salsa and it was SO good! Now every Christmas my brother sends me salsa!

My youngest one doesn't like tomatoes either. Or anything made with tomatoes. No ketchup, pasta with gravy, none in his salad, nothing. :angel:

That worked out well for you Chopper ;) :LOL:

I love homemade salsa :yum:

My youngest one doesn't like tomatoes either. Or anything made with tomatoes. No ketchup, pasta with gravy, none in his salad, nothing. :angel:

Is he allergic to tomatoes Addie, or is it just that taste he doesn't like?

Back
Top Bottom