"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 07-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #231
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Addie, you sound like my DxW-- "Son #1 doesn't know it yet, but he is going to help me. I will let him know about it around May. " She never clued me in on any plans she hatched right up until it was time for the action to start. heheh.

I've got green beans, cucumbers and green tomatoes but no red ones yet. Basil, tarragon, mint and a few tabasco peppers coming in. I'm still picking blueberries ( got buckets frozen) and raspberries are all done and frozen waiting to make preserves when it's a tolerable bit cooler.
We are sneaky that way.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #232
Senior Cook

Addie, unless you are really poor, maybe it's just easier to hire someone with a rototiller to turn the soil in those plots for you.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #233
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae View Post
Addie, unless you are really poor, maybe it's just easier to hire someone with a rototiller to turn the soil in those plots for you.
The Building Management will have the landscaping people do it all for free. They even supply the water source and hose.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #234
Chef Extraordinaire

So--it looks as if I have to plug in my big freezer...I ended up with 10-12 lb beans, broccoli, swiss chard (thinking swiss chard pesto), kale, kohlrabi, cabbage, beets, onions, lettuce, peas and a few cukes. I used my spirolli to make the zucchini slaw yesterday--what a fun toy! Heading out to the garden tomorrow to pick yet more beans...
Old 07-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #235
Executive Chef

It was a perfect day to spend in the garden. As is everyday, if you get out there early. More important. cool enough to work in the house afterwards. My Kitchen is the least airconditioned- west and south facing part of my house, lots of windows and even with shades pulled, it gets too hot as the day goes on. I froze 3 bags of baby green beans. Mine are a little late as the rabbits devoured the first planting. Then I made 3 pints of bread and butter pickles and a small batch of pesto, which mostly I froze. Saved some pesto and beans out for dinner. Altogether, it was a productive day!

I shoiuld also add, I have a smaller size garden, I have been cutting it back little by little over the last 5 years or so. The garden had grown to encompass approx 3/4 of my back yard with lots of windy paths and just a small grassy area large enough for the grills and picnic table. It is now now about 50-50 grass and mostly flowers. I have cukes growing up on the fence instead of allowing them to spread out and a small plot for a few other veggies, some dedicated herb space and a few others just tucked in. Otherwise, I kept my rose bushes, perenials and a few annual flowers. This is so much more manageable. No room for zukes, which I guess is not a bad thing anyway.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #236
Senior Cook

Whisk, it would be nice to see a photo of your garden.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #237
Master Chef

What's in my garden now? Lots of dying, dehydrated plants of all sorts. Hottest, dryest summer in local memory, and can't keep up with the watering.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #238
Master Chef

Whiskadoodle, I got a very good visual of your garden from your lovely description. Sounds very nice.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #239
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
What's in my garden now? Lots of dying, dehydrated plants of all sorts. Hottest, dryest summer in local memory, and can't keep up with the watering.
Awww that is no good Claire
Old 07-20-2012, 02:07 AM   #240
Chef Extraordinaire

claire, unless it's a lost cause, buy those thin sheets of spun material called floating row and fly them over your garden, and water twice a day: at sunrise and sunset.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote