"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 07-20-2012, 04:23 AM   #241
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes we only water early morning and evening...or put the sprinkler system on

Old 07-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #242
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
What's in my garden now? Lots of dying, dehydrated plants of all sorts. Hottest, dryest summer in local memory, and can't keep up with the watering.
That's so disappointing. We are experiencing the driest summer since 2001. We have been irrigating, but with 6000 row feet planted at two properties, it takes a lot of water (we are on well water) and time. At the farm, we have a separate well for the barn, so have been using the water from that well. We figure we are putting 400 gallons of water on the gardens a day. That's a lot of water. The zucchini, cukes, and squash are suffering. The beans love it and are very prolific, the tomatoes have set fruit, but nothing ripe--yet. These are heirloom varieties. The season started as a very promising garden season--now, well, we're trying our best to keep the gardens watered. It isn't easy.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #243
Chef Extraordinaire

Barely after high noon here--have picked cukes (not enough for a batch of pickles...have to do refridge pickles), broccoli (one head for lunch, the rest for the freezer), pole, bush, and wax beans; plus kohlrabi, okra, beets, carrots. lettuce. onions, potatoes, peppers (sweet and various hot ones), bok choy, cabbage, kale, Swiss Chard (always), and summer squash (3 varieties). The tomatoes aren't ready yet and I'm not picking corn until the car is loaded and I'm ready to head home (except for the corn I plan to eat here--that I'll pick once the pot boils). Inside hiding from the sun for a few minutes.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #244
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Wow, CWS, quite the harvest!

I've got a nice basket full of ripe tomatoes, some cukes, and green beans. The cherry toms are starting to come on. Peppers aren't as prolific as last year. The ground squirrel population IS prolific this year, and the critters are also enjoying my tomatoes. It's been so hot and dry, I put out a big dish of water for them, as I think they're looking for moisture from the toms. I do vegetables in large containers in a fenced in area, so it's fairly easy to keep watered.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #245
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Barely after high noon here--have picked cukes (not enough for a batch of pickles...have to do refridge pickles), broccoli (one head for lunch, the rest for the freezer), pole, bush, and wax beans; plus kohlrabi, okra, beets, carrots. lettuce. onions, potatoes, peppers (sweet and various hot ones), bok choy, cabbage, kale, Swiss Chard (always), and summer squash (3 varieties). The tomatoes aren't ready yet and I'm not picking corn until the car is loaded and I'm ready to head home (except for the corn I plan to eat here--that I'll pick once the pot boils). Inside hiding from the sun for a few minutes.
Busy, busy, busy!
Old 08-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #246
Chef Extraordinaire

it's hot here but we are managing to keep things watered. Tomatoes are great and so juicy and sweet. Only problem are some neighbors down the road who think this is a farmers market that doesn't ask for cash, check, or plastic. It drives me mad when I have to chase the small youngsters home with an ask me first cuz mom and dad are to chicken to say may I....
Getting apples, peaches, not so many nectarines, cherry and mini yellow tomatoes, plus green stripe heirlooms,along with the Krim black,red yellows as well. Zucchini, jalapeno,s plus some that are blazing hot and were supposed to be Italian sweet frying peppers wonder what they are? Have 3 cubenelle's that are really prolific and I love them Had a fried batch last night with some foccacia yummy, there are 3 new fig trees, tons of Sun flowers that are making DH crazy, lots of California poppies,2 apple trees, each child will be getting a nice large pumpkin for halloween, yellow squash,all kinds of flowers which I'm really enjoying. Other things like pomagranates, oranges, Meyer lemons, tangarines. I know there is more but right now I don't remember it all.
kades
Old 08-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #247
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oooh, nice stuff, Ma! You've been busy too!

Maybe an electric fence for the little thieves, or a loud alarm system....
Old 08-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #248
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oooh, nice stuff, Ma! You've been busy too!

Maybe an electric fence for the little thieves, or a loud alarm system....
I need to do something. I feel like I've allowed some of this hit and run by not being more vigilent. But these kids are pretty darn smart. that's for sure. Maybe I should just pick a bag of something and go door to door and and say this is so the kids don't have to feel guilty for looting or is it plundering
ma
Old 08-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #249
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
I need to do something. I feel like I've allowed some of this hit and run by not being more vigilent. But these kids are pretty darn smart. that's for sure. Maybe I should just pick a bag of something and go door to door and and say this is so the kids don't have to feel guilty for looting or is it plundering
ma
If you know who the thieves are, I think that would be a sweet idea, as well as giving you an opportunity to speak to the parents. It might shame them into curbing their kids. This is ridiculous. You shouldn't have to sit outside with a shotgun in order to protect your stuff.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #250
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
ma
It is outright stealing. It could be the parents are unaware of what the kids are doing. If you choose to speak to the parents, ask them if they would be willing to pay for whatever the children steal in the future.