"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #281
Assistant Cook

Hello, all!! I think the hot dry weather this year causes cukes to be more bitter, even tho we water them. We had some bitter ones, but it seems the smaller ones are better tasting.
The plants even look yellowed now; we did plant more, and hopefully with the cooler weather now, they will be a bit sweeter.

I had better luck with the burpless ones, but this year only planted straight 8's.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #282
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekaboo
Hello, all!! I think the hot dry weather this year causes cukes to be more bitter, even tho we water them. We had some bitter ones, but it seems the smaller ones are better tasting.
The plants even look yellowed now; we did plant more, and hopefully with the cooler weather now, they will be a bit sweeter.

I had better luck with the burpless ones, but this year only planted straight 8's.
That's what mine are, Peek, Straight 8's. We had temps in the triple digits for quite awhile. I've never had them this bitter, have you?

Old 08-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #283
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
That's funny, Addie, that was one of the recs on one of the sites I looked at! They also called it an old wive's tale.
Like I said, I do it out of habit. But I have never had a bitter cuke.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #284
Chef Extraordinaire

Today's gathering was restricted to about 1 doz tomatoes, 4 green peppers, enough cukes for a batch of bread and butter pickles, onions, and 7 doz ears of corn. I'm freezing most of the corn and starting the B&Bs tonight. I'll probably just eat the tomatoes. There are a lot more to come, yet. The DH is going back out to the farm tomorrow to gather more stuff (the stuff gathered today must be processed first). I'm going back out Thursday evening/Friday to get stuff for processing this weekend. And it is only Monday.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #285
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We have had a lot of dry weather over the summer here too. Waterin' is good, but it sure ain't the same as rain.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #286
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
We have had a lot of dry weather over the summer here too. Waterin' is good, but it sure ain't the same as rain.
We've been irrigating (watering) since about July 8th every other day. It seems to have worked--the corn is amazing, the beans are great, and our cukes are producing (as is everything else). We've had rain 5 days in a row now (not heavy, but rain!!!). We have possible rain in the forecast almost every day this week. I don't know if we're out of the level 2 drought or not, but the rain has really helped. I might have to mow the lawn. It hasn't been mowed since June.

My disappointment is that it looks as if I might only get 3-4 eggplant. Only 3 of the 20+ eggplant plants survived.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #287
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We finally been getting some rain here but it is not gonna do the corn or peanuts much good now. Our blueberries were smaller this year than usual too. Oddly, most of the tobacco around here seems to have fared ok...
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #288
Chef Extraordinaire

Our berries all dried up. Maybe next year. We can't grow peanuts--I tried!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #289
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My blueberries were lovely when green. As they ripened, something et them despite all the bird netting and covering. Am thinking it will take me and my shotgun babysitting them.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #290
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver
My blueberries were lovely when green. As they ripened, something et them despite all the bird netting and covering. Am thinking it will take me and my shotgun babysitting them.
Oh so sad.