"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 03-23-2012, 03:49 AM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
Such beautiful pictures!

My parents have a huge John Deer tractor/ tiller thingie but I don't believe it would even fit into my squatty little piece of land that Im going to grow in this year! and I haven't started yet although the weather has been fabulous!
if it like GLC pic thats a belter. I had never gardened till 4 yrs ago.My wife and brother deal with the flowers and planting. I do all the heavy work.
We produce all our own compost so the soil after 3 seasons of compost and the tiller is like crumble topping.
The main pot patch is ready for planting this weekend.
PS my early cold frame potatoes are sprouting through and we should have a crop in 6 wks.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:22 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

I belong to a forum only it is a bunch of just friends. One of them was mentioning using her John Deere to clear her driveway full of snow. One of the city gals asked what is a John Deere. The rest of us were so helpful. Oh its a lawn mower. Another piped in with its a snow plow. And one by one we answered her. Its a hay baler, its a combine, its a plow, its tiller, its a seed planter, its a corn picker, etc. She signed off and we didn't hear from her for a week. All she had to do was google John Deere. But it still was fun to play with her.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

We have celery, lettuce, kale, and rhubarb up. The celery was a bit of a surprise. We've never had it overwinter before, but it was a mild winter here. We don't have a John Deere, but we do have a Massey and a Neufield, as well as a Honda lawn tractor. Going to an auction on Saturday--hoping to get a 3 pth rototiller.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
We have celery, lettuce, kale, and rhubarb up. The celery was a bit of a surprise. We've never had it overwinter before, but it was a mild winter here. We don't have a John Deere, but we do have a Massey and a Neufield, as well as a Honda lawn tractor. Going to an auction on Saturday--hoping to get a 3 pth rototiller.
I looked longingly at a hand twowel the other day. Remembering when. If I tried to get down to the good earth, they would be planting me in it next. I would never be able to get back up.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I looked longingly at a hand twowel the other day. Remembering when. If I tried to get down to the good earth, they would be planting me in it next. I would never be able to get back up.
What about doing some things in pots--herbs, lettuce?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
What about doing some things in pots--herbs, lettuce?
My apartments gets no sunshine at all. It is on the north side of the building. I am lucky to get any light. We have little plots that management has provided for us. They are about the size of cemetary plots. One time a visitor thought they were cemetary plots of residents who had died and had no family. She was deeply upset that they had no headstones and were not kept up. I stayed on the floor laughing for days after that. We used to have residents that planted in them. But they got too old also. If I could get maintenaince to turn over the plots for us, I would probably be out there planting veggies galore.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Addy, have you heard of straw bale gardening? Sounds like just thing for you. It's raised and you don't need to do any tilling.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #48
Head Chef

I saw a thing the other day where someone used one of those hanging cloth shoe pocket things.

And a pallet planter. It has weed control cloth stapled down the back and across the bottom. Fill and plant while it lays flat on the ground, stand it up, and plant the top.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
I saw a thing the other day where someone used one of those hanging cloth shoe pocket things.

And a pallet planter. It has weed control cloth stapled down the back and across the bottom. Fill and plant while it lays flat on the ground, stand it up, and plant the top.

That is so neat. What a great imagination. When you live in an apartment building it doesn't leave you much choice. And when you are on a very low fixed income, you don't have much cash left to play so you can plant $50 tomatoes. Believe me if I coud, I would. We are very limited in what we are allowed to do here. The building has been designated an historical building and you can't plant certain plants on the premises. There is no where to do potted planting. And around here bucket planting is very popular. You know those five gallon buckets that pickles and other food items come in for restaurants. Well a lot of folks in this part of Boston plant in them. And the plants thrive in them. Can't have th buckets showing on the outside.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #50
Executive Chef

Weeds! And I don't think any of them are edible.