What's in the Garden?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
taxlady said:
My chives are doing well and the spring onions from many years ago are back and have buds.

I am chiving everything I can possibly chive, replacing shallots and onions, as the chives are so prolific this year. I've had to transplant lovely clumps growing in the gravel driveway to where they should be. Shallots are looking good, and my mints, balms, oregano, thyme and sage look fine.

The first of the radishes are up. This is the earliest I've tried radishes....21 days and counting (the same amount of time it would take to hatch a clutch of eggs if one the girls would go broody....they seem more interested in spending time following the Big Chickens than they do sitting on a clutch of eggs...).

The first of the radishes are up. This is the earliest I've tried radishes....21 days and counting (the same amount of time it would take to hatch a clutch of eggs if one the girls would go broody....they seem more interested in spending time following the Big Chickens than they do sitting on a clutch of eggs...).
I guess I should go throw a few radish seeds in my "garden".

I guess I should go throw a few radish seeds in my "garden".
Go for it! I find if I seed late May, often the radishes bolt because it gets too hot in June. We have had good luck planting radish seeds mid-August for fall radishes. I have also put in the winter radishes then. Don't forget you can eat the tops (before they get fuzzy!).

Go for it! I find if I seed late May, often the radishes bolt because it gets too hot in June. We have had good luck planting radish seeds mid-August for fall radishes. I have also put in the winter radishes then. Don't forget you can eat the tops (before they get fuzzy!).
Thanks for the tip on radish tops.

Here is a photo of one of my raised vegetable beds. Potatoes and onions!

img_1134519_0_ca760f8c4cc886ffbee850a96519a541.jpg

i live in an apartment & don't have a garden but,as you will have seen from my big bro' bolas's posts/pics i do get my hands dirty when i visit him & madge each weekend!!
i have however got two potato growing bags outside my apartment front door with jersey royals(they have appellation controllee which gives them the same status as champagne.can you believe it spuds......but they are delish:yum:!)just starting to break through,a couple of hanging baskets with garden pearl trailing cherry toms just started(one is destined for brother b's house wall!) & garlic/herbs in troughs attached to my balcony railings....where there's a will....(in estate agency we finish the phrase with "there's a family"!)
i planted the potatoes the same weekend that i planted the potatoes @ brother b's but,because he lives about 60 miles south of me & closer to the coast his are about two weeks ahead of mine,that's just one of the many things that fascinates me about gardening:)!
harry

Harry, please tell us about the potato growing bags.
Tax what Harry will not tell you is that he was a renowned orchid grower who has won a number of Royal Horticultural Society medals. I was very proud when he won the gold medal, which in the horticultural world is like winning the 100 metres at the Olympics.

Harry, please tell us about the potato growing bags.

Tax what Harry will not tell you is that he was a renowned orchid grower who has won a number of Royal Horticultural Society medals. I was very proud when he won the gold medal, which in the horticultural world is like winning the 100 metres at the Olympics.
you're absolutely right bro' b i wasn't going to mention it!.i am,as you know,of the shy & retiring persuasion,which is why i am an estate agent!!
it is true that in a previous life i had a large collection of orchids that i showed at various venues around the country with the north of england orchid society.one of the more prestigious sites was the rhs show at tatton park in cheshire(a magnificent country house set in hundreds of acres of parkland in rural cheshire)and yes i did win a gold for an encyclia citrina growing "au naturale" on cork bark.the other medals were awards from the orchid society.i'm flattered that you are proud bolas,really,thank you:)
back to spuds the growing bags are about 3 cubic feet & made out of woven rot proof material.you put about 4 inches of compost(i use organic veg growing compost)in the bottom,put in 4 seed potatoes,cover with another 4 inches of compost,water well & as the haulms break surface top up with another 4 inches & repeat until you are within 2 inches of the top to allow for watering.once the haulms have flowered leave for a couple of weeks(or as long as you can stand the suspense!) then tip out the contents & enjoy!
doesn't have to be a growing bag,ive done the same with carrier bags from the supermarket & waste sacks.i set one up at brother b's but,thanks to bolas & loopy(the merry tiller) the soil is so good i used that mixed with our own homemade compost instead.
harry

Thanks Harry. I thought it sounded like a variation on growing potatoes in a barrel. In the barrel, you just put soil/compost at the bottom. Then you keep adding straw. That way the spuds stay clean. :)

I was wondering where I would get a barrel. Now I will try it with a bag.

Thanks Harry. I thought it sounded like a variation on growing potatoes in a barrel. In the barrel, you just put soil/compost at the bottom. Then you keep adding straw. That way the spuds stay clean. :)

I was wondering where I would get a barrel. Now I will try it with a bag.
what a fantastic idea tax,thank you.bolas,guess what we're doing next weekend? you,me,some soil,seed pots,straw & one of the water butts...c'mon tax:LOL:!!
harry

Peas, carrots, beets, kale, and kohlrabi have joined the radishes and onions. It is still very early for where we're at--typically last frost is mid-May, so the tender seeds and seedlings have not gone in, even though April brought us warm weather and we could work the soil. Potatoes are starting to poke through the soil (real estate expensive but I so love digging the potatoes up in the fall--so much fun to find the potatoes under the soil).

I am suitably impressed and am happy to welcome Harry to the forum! ;)

good morning leo
glad to be on board.i genuinely wasn't going to mention it as this is culinary gardening but then it occured to me that it does have some relevance as vanilla is the only orchid that has another use other than as a decorative plant(as far as i'm aware).used to have a vanilla growing as a vine across the roof of my conservatory.it provided shade,beautiful blooms but,sadly,never got it to produce any pods!i've attached(if i've worked out how to do it!) a photo of a beautiful vacherot et lecoufle phalaenopsis that i grew from a seedling.the blooms were the size of saucers!
harry

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 136
ps leo
love the signature:The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look.
as a 60 years old male going on 18 i shall adopt it as my battle cry henceforth;)!!
harry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom