"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 03-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
What's in my garden? Well, this morning it's snow!

Old 03-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #72
Head Chef

My asparagus is not up yet because of the thick mulch of leaves and hay. It keeps the soil cooler and it has not warmed up enough yet.

That's ok because I will have asparagus later in the season.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #73
Executive Chef

Not much will grow down here in the coming months. Gonna get way too hot.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Not much will grow down here in the coming months. Gonna get way too hot.
Can you grow stuff in Spring or Fall? What about in Winter?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #75
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
A friend in Rochester, MN has asparagus up. I checked, but I didn't find any hint the same is happening here. I have a hard time getting my head around asparagus up in MN already. Officially, we always went out to collect wild asparagus about the same time that walleye season opened (around May 15th as I recall). In Northern MN (about 6-7 hours north of Rochester), they are still collecting maple sap.

I can report, at least in South Mpls, my asparagus is not up yet. I am just 2 hours or 90 minutes on a good day North of Rochester. I have a heavy mulch layer of mixed maple and oak leaves on my garden. I am not about to disturb yet. Due to still expected frost times and even an unexpected late snow. Well, I admit this year is different. I Really should get out the Lawn Mower IN MARCH ~~~!!. Just because it's one year I can say I did/ can-do so. I have Dandy lions in Bloom Already ( On the south exposures)

I suppose I better get my feet in gear and do a hike over to my "secret" place to look for wild asparagus growing. Even if it seems early this year. It's near Someone's family cemetary plot . I suppose they may have even planted this. I donno. I know we planted Lilac Bushes surrounding my parents graves. The bushes have since grown naturally. This was out on the prairies, so it was legal to do, expansive sort of. I don't know if this was a planted event, or the asparagus just grows wild. At any rate, come summer, the asparagus all gets mowed down. and grave sites gets supplanted with plastic flower "arrangements" by memorial day and beyond.

No. I don't consider this morbid. I always say " thank you for the gifts"

Does anyone else do Urban Gleaning or look beyond your back yard garden gate for the possibilities . ? .
Old 03-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

My sister and I used to go into the woods looking for Jack-in-the-Pulpit. Sometimes if you look down into them, you could see the unlucky insect that was foolish enough to go after the sweet smelling liquid in the bottom. And we would often find wild onions. They are plentiful here in the Northeast if you know what to look for. I miss our trips to nowhere. We were never lost, we were somewhere. Just where, we weren't sure. But we always found our way back home. There are also a lot of wild herbs in this area. Up on the North Shore there is an Iron Works that used to make iron plows and hinges for the first settlers. There is an original log cabin on the site. Outside the door is a small garden planted with wild herbs and onions. It looks like a bunch of weeds. (Which they are) They are all labeled. I told my sister to put labels on her weeds and folks would think she was wonderful for saving our wild plants for prosperity.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:28 AM   #77
Executive Chef

The reason I have been quiet is the weather, since last week its been dawn to dusk sun with temps peaking each day at about 20c, usually at this time of year its about 11c.The veg patches are fully planted, all we have to do now is the Greenhouse which I pressure washed yesterday and the raised salad bed which we manured and dug on Tues.
We have never been so early, we should get our first new potatoes from the cold frame in about 5 weeks.
The best new pots in the world have just started to appear in the shops, The Jersey Royal has to come from Jersey and they are the "caviar" of pots costing at present $3.5 a lbs.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

We don't even think of turning over the earth until May 31st. Last week, temps were in the 80's, tonight in the 20's. The ground may be soft, but it is still too cold to plant. And we haven't seen out last frost.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #79
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Can you grow stuff in Spring or Fall? What about in Winter?
We can usually get started in late "fall". Haven't you heard, we only have two seasons, tourist and summer! Depending on our "winter" and "spring" temps, we may get stuff to grow through March and April. Of course, there are somethings that seem to thrive in 90F+ temps, like eggplants.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

We forage. We collect high bush cranberries, wild grapes (and the leaves), maple sap, asparagus, wild blueberries. My dad collects the same, as well as morel mushrooms (when the weather cooperates). Last year wasn't a good year for morels where he lives. And, milkweed.