When do you pick your green and yellow beans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I have just a few that are about 4-5 inches long... probably a bit early yet but within the next few days I'm sure...
I wont have enough for even a serving when i start picking, but I know I need to pick them to get more growing....
So how big should they be and what should I do with them while I wait to have enough for a meal?

I grew haricot vert last year and learned the hard way that the earlier you harvest the better. The mature ones were terribly bitter. Too bitter to eat, even. So if it looks like something you want to eat, eat it! Don't wait. That's my 2cents.:)

I pick them at various stages. The really young ones i like to steam or stir fry. The medium ones i like to cut in soups. The bigger ones, I like to cut in 1/4 inch thich the long way , bread and fry them up and make a Zuc parmesan hero, with sauce, cheese ... they fit perfectly on an italian bread when u cut them that way. The huge ones, are tough and more bitter and seedy.

OOPS!!! we're talking about beans :-p
for me, as long as u cant see the individual 'beans' swelling through the outer pod, I consider them ok. Once the inside bean gets too big, the outer part gets fibrous and chewy, and the bean is more starchy. So, for me, better too soon then too late. When i get an excess i pick, cut, blanch and freeze for later use in soups, but much better raw or freshly cooked.

I pick them when they are about as thick as a pencil.

I'm not concerned with the lenghth as much as the thickness.

The yellows have just the slightest green tint to then, along the string....
Stiil ready enough?

I try to pick them before they get that segmented bumpy look from the seeds inside (does that make any sense?). I find that after they get to that point they become bitter.

I wish I had your problem Suzie. I haven't had a garden in several years and do miss it. I did like to pick the beans very young. They get tough after awhile.

And I used to love fresh picked beans dipped in hummus. Just can't do that with the store variety.

well I snatched the biggest one, just to make sure it was edible...
It was!!!
:)
Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom