"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Old 05-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #31
Master Chef
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I'm making a trip to the local nursery today so get the plants for my herb pots.. I think a variety of basil is in order again this year. I'll report back later today...
Slim pickings today, I guess I waited too long. I got sweet, Genovese, Thai, Purple Ruffle, and one globe ( but it was a large plant).

No it is not to late to plant at all. I just planted some lemon basil seeds today and some more sweet basil seeds.

Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:47 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Of course, Genovese Basil for our Pesto ...

As we do not have a terrace for plants, I grow 6 of them indoors, and they are stunning fragrant and sweet ...

Very informative thread, Grazie.

Have a lovely Memorial Wkend.

Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:45 AM   #33
Master Chef
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Because I am deathly allergic to pine nuts, I never use pine nuts in my pesto (that's how I found out I was allergic--I was making pestio--that was kind of an interesting way to end the day--luckily, I wasn't home alone when I went into anaphalactic shock!). I like to make pesto using cilantro and basil. I will usually use almonds or walnuts, although I've made it with pecans or hazelnuts. I have also made pesto with Swiss Chard. Besides the normal kinds of basil (of course, I love purple basil), I grow Thai and Vietnamese basil.
I don't know what all you are allergic to, but a few years ago I found myself unable to find pine nuts (which aren't my favorite anyway), and found a bag of shelled pistachios. Wow, what a pesto it makes! Where I live the pine nuts are not exactly a shelf standard at stores, and they go rancid easily anyway. Pistachios really give the pesto a different character, and I prefer it to walnut.

I grow "lime" basil, and make a "pesto" using the basil, peanuts, some lime zest (if you have lemon grass, so much the better), garlic, and fresh green hot chillies. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. But I freeze this and over the winter I buy a can of coconut milk, add the frozen "pesto", et, voila! Great Green Thai curry!
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #34
Assistant Cook
I recently picked up some Cuban Basil at a greenhouse near by. It's winter over here now so I manage the plants indoors of course. Cuban Basil has a very similar taste and scent to the Italian basil. The only difference I notice is the shape the leaves. The Italian is more of an oval leaf and the Cuban has a rounded shape.
Brian Nametko
Brian Nametko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #35
Executive Chef
Basil is one of several herbs I prefer using fresh rather than dry. I grew 9 regular basil plants last summer. boy did I make a lot of pesto, froze it. I find if I want to add flavor to a tomato sauce etc., just whack off the equivelant of 1- 2 ice cubes size chunks and stir that in. It works nicely and I don't have to pay out of season prices for a few sprigs of basil at the market.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #36
Senior Cook
I tried a bunch of basils last year. I have the best luck with sweet basil. That's all I planted this year. Don't care for pesto, so I use it fresh, in oils and chopped frozen.

Raspberrymocha55 is offline   Reply With Quote

basil, recipe