While you guys shiver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
We swelter, it got to 35C today but more importantly, the mango season is in full swing. Once again though, our tree has let us down, it decided to share with the flying foxes and the possum so we will get very few.

Last weekend I went for a visit to my home town which is virtually the mango capital of Australia so there was no problems in finding some of these fine fruit. They grow mainly a variety called Kensington Pride [Bowen Special] but over the past 5/10 years some have diversified to a fruit called R2E2. These are grown mainly for export to Japan and Europe but, in my opinion, are not as nice as the Specials. Just the same, they are fetching up to AU$60 per piece in Japan this year.

The R2E2 is named after the row that they were first established in by the DPI in Bowen. These mangoes originated in Florida as Kents [hows that] but, the kent variety will not tolerate our local diseases and climate but if it is grafted to a Kensington Pride trunk it will, it also grows much larger.

This photo is of two average size Kensington and two R2E2
3104508856_f7d43cc131_m.jpg
taken on the back lawn today. The R2E2 on the top right weighed 1.2kg [2.65lb]

The waste is incredible as you will see in this link to a post I have made to a gardening forum. Forum: R2E2 Mangoes

So, enjoy a bit of trivia about our mangoes from down under.

Shiver is right -11C here in Oregon this weekend. Many plants could suffer (I am in the nursery biz). Never gave mangoes a sniff until I moved to Oregon. Many of my co-workers are from Mexico so I have been given Mango 101. What a wonderful array of flavoors from the different cultivars.

Shivering? Who's Shivering?

Just because this was one of the lead stories in the paper this morning...
DETROIT -- What do Moscow, Russia, Stockholm, Sweden and Juneau, Alaska have in common?
They're all warmer than Detroit this morning.

:)

Oh the wife loves mangos! Considering our temps here, I better not tell the wife about this or I may find her and her suitcase missing shortly!! LOL.

I usually try to avoid gloating about our wonderful weather this time of year, but our old friends in Portland are really suffering, and I can't help making comparisons. Highs in the low 80s, lows in the low 60s - not a cloud in the deep blue sky. We feel very lucky to be here.

I LOVE mangos. I think my personal record is eating 6 in a row once in Mexico. And a long time ago I was lucky enough to rent a cottage in the USVI during the height of mango season, had a tree full of them right outside my window - heaven.

It is very cold here and I know that right now, somewhere someone is sitting in shorts and drinking a tall cool one on the beach.

Yeah- it's me....Quite a few tall cool ones, in fact.

I'm a bit south of Attie ( Hi Attie) near Coffs Harbour in NSW..a certain phone-throwing aussie movie star has his home not too far away, as the crow flies, but that ain't something to crowe about :)

we had very old mango trees in Cairo and when you sat outside you had to be careful or they'd drop one of top of your head.......and they weren't the little ones either but the great big, smelly ones...............our son was super allergic to the sap as we expensively found out in London on our way back to the states when his tongue was protruding out of his mouth and the rest of his face puffed out.....no Benadryl was to be found in the pharmacies..........remember that if you plan a visit.......

Mango sap is very toxic expatgirl and unless you wash it off ASAP you stand to get blistery sores at the very least.
We get Mexican mangoes here as well during their season but I've never tried them, to expensive.
I picked our fruit with a chain saw this year because it's an old tree with diseased limbs. Once it starts to shoot I'm going to try and graft a couple of different varieties to it.
3183556203_dec0d1ac43_m.jpg

Back
Top Bottom