White spotty blackberries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JillBurgh

Sous Chef
Please excuse me for not rotating my images...

Our blackberries are as big as my head this year, but they are not ripening uniformly black:
picture.php

You can see that they have the white spots before they even ripen:
picture.php

BF claims that the spotted ones taste "funky."
Is this a fungus or disease?
Can I just make these ones the baking berries since they are not perfect for hand-eating?

That's okay, for some reason I thought you'd be the one to come to my rescue, elf! It's funny because BF asked me to post the question, "If you talk to your cooking friends, could you ask..." And here's the one time I've stumped y'all!

That's okay, for some reason I thought you'd be the one to come to my rescue, elf! It's funny because BF asked me to post the question, "If you talk to your cooking friends, could you ask..." And here's the one time I've stumped y'all!

I can't grow much of anything due to our shade...and I don't bake; that's no secret...sorry. I did try to look something up on Google for you - apparently I didn't word it right because I couldn't really find anything.

I tried to google also, but could not get a definitive answer either.
The only thing hinted at is air circulation; lack of, seems to cause major problems.
Why not call your local extension service for your area, if no one here helps you.
I'd like to know the answer myself.
They sure look healthy in all other respects though.

You may have a local gardening club who may be able to help. Mine sometimes fo like this but I've not noticed an issue with flavour - they are almost like very unripe bits.

Thanks everyone. We tried the googler first, too, and the only thing I could come up with was that the air temp may have been to high and they "burned." That doesn't sound right to me, though. It went over 90 F a couple of days last week, but that doesn't seem intolerable as far as plants go. Thanks for the extra research and for chiming in.

Blackberries grow wild on our farm, and we see ones like that from time to time. I've never known what causes them, but usually when we see them, it's only the odd berry. It would be frustrating to have a whole lot like that.

Any berry farms in your area? I bet they'd know what it was.

Thanks everyone. We tried the googler first, too, and the only thing I could come up with was that the air temp may have been to high and they "burned." That doesn't sound right to me, though. It went over 90 F a couple of days last week, but that doesn't seem intolerable as far as plants go. Thanks for the extra research and for chiming in.
I asked on a gardening forum Jill and the response was sunburn????????

I asked on a gardening forum Jill and the response was sunburn????????

Hey Attie! Thanks a million for the favor! *karma* Sunburn/heatburn seems to be the consensus. I am going to bake with them. I just wish they were all flawless so I could show them off. Look how big they are:

picture.php

:)OMG those are huge. I ordered a sprig from a two year old thornless black berry bush it's thriving but I will keep it in the pot and put in house this winter and then try to plant it in the spring. From what I have read blackberry bushes will grow in just about any climate or soil. I love blackberries. How tall do they grow? Do you know how deep the roots grow?

Look at the teeny tiny plants along the fence on the right.
The two plants on either side of that sad little baby trellis are
our blackberries when we planted last spring:

picture.php

Now see the same plants behind BF 12 months later...

picture.php

THAT'S how big they get!!!
Note that this was also spring so they are (even more) enormous now.
Not sure about the roots, sorry.

My goodness, don't they look yummy, I don't think we can grow them here. We can grow Mulberries so I tried a white one but it ended up all bush and no fruit.

Hey Attie! Thanks a million for the favor! *karma* Sunburn/heatburn seems to be the consensus. I am going to bake with them. I just wish they were all flawless so I could show them off. Look how big they are:

picture.php

:)OMG those are huge. I ordered a sprig from a two year old thornless black berry bush it's thriving From what I have read blackberry bushes will grow in just about any climate or soil. I love blackberries.

OKAY. I CAN'T STAND IT. If I send who an empty container to send me a clipping, who's going to send me one? (WILL GROW ANYWHERE?!?!?!?) I figure if I use my rooting hormone, it should work. No? I'd love to try.

I just want to grab that thing right through the screen.
They are beautiful. I don't think I could hold off long enough to bake with them. OMG!!!

Where I live we have a county extension agent whose job it is to answer questions like this. If you can locate him, and send the pictures, you will probably get an answer. This might be a local pest, weather condition, or the like, and they will be familar with it.

:) Dang it I just posted a long post which is hard for me as I do not type well. I submitted and got a message saying I posted to many picture and I lost the entire post. What? I don't even know how to post a picture this is not the first time I lost a post.:mad::mad::mad:

Look at the teeny tiny plants along the fence on the right.
The two plants on either side of that sad little baby trellis are
our blackberries when we planted last spring:

picture.php

Now see the same plants behind BF 12 months later...

picture.php

THAT'S how big they get!!!
Note that this was also spring so they are (even more) enormous now.
Not sure about the roots, sorry.
:) So are they setting fruit yet or do I need to give them more than a year? I'm totally clueless. Plus it's really dry and hot here in the summer but I can plant them in good soil by setting some good dirt for them when I get ready to plant next spring and water them as much as they need?

:) So are they setting fruit yet or do I need to give them more than a year? I'm totally clueless. Plus it's really dry and hot here in the summer but I can plant them in good soil by setting some good dirt for them when I get ready to plant next spring and water them as much as they need?
JP, I have a friend who just moved back to Pittsburgh from Raton!
:)

We got a couple of handfuls by the end of last summer, but only enough to snack on, like maybe 1-2 a day for a week or so. This year we have quarts of them from these two bushes. We bought them as dormant 6 inch "twigs" and I'm not sure how old they were. You'll have to do some research to find out how much water etc you'll need in your area. In PA they 're pretty self-sufficient.

I ordered last spring from Spring Hill Nursery a collection of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries. All of our berries yielded high crops by this year, and they were all gorgeous and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom