"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 06-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
Executive Chef

B'sgirl, what became of your roses?
What did you wind up doing?

Old 07-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Unfortunately I haven't had time to do anything yet. I think I'll follow your advice though and start simple. I'm going to pick up some borax at the store today. I just hope the strawberries next to it are okay because I'm getting such a large harvest this year. I hope the rose bush makes it through too because I planted 3 bushes last year and this one did the best by far. It is the biggest and has the most blooms on it. I'm not sure what kind it is, I'd have to go find the tag for it. I'll let you know once I find out though.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #13
Head Chef

Honestly, we've never lost one through mildew. Wehave a little black spot and black fly this year, a pain because we keep things organic, but you know, e'll sort it.

I'm sure yours will be fine!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I agree. Your rose flowers look beautiful, so I know things are salvagable. But even if you don't have time to do all the fixing, get those leaves off the plant, as they are draining energy from the plant and could potentially be spreading mildew to rest of plant.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Well I followed your advice with the borax and the dish soap, quicksilver. I'm going out of town this weekend so we'll see how the bush is doing when I get pack. I actually sprayed part of the bush with Wonder Cleaner because a salesperson mentioned that it could "suffocate" ants. I already had some from the year before and she was trying to sell me more (I didn't buy more) and I figured I'd try it since it's organic. So what is it about borax and dish soap that is supposed to help? Uh-oh, I just re-read your post. Is borax the same as boric acid? If not, I may have just killed my bush.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
Well I followed your advice with the borax and the dish soap, quicksilver. I'm going out of town this weekend so we'll see how the bush is doing when I get pack. I actually sprayed part of the bush with Wonder Cleaner because a salesperson mentioned that it could "suffocate" ants. I already had some from the year before and she was trying to sell me more (I didn't buy more) and I figured I'd try it since it's organic. So what is it about borax and dish soap that is supposed to help? Uh-oh, I just re-read your post. Is borax the same as boric acid? If not, I may have just killed my bush.
I hope you also followed my advice and removed all the bad leaves before you did anything.
I don't know what WONDER CLEANER is, but if it suffocated the ants, I hope it doesn't suffocate the pores of the plant.
Borax and boric acid are different. Borax is a compound of boric acid and I think - boron? Boric acid is sodium borate - not a compound. So you should be ok. So you'll have CLEAN DEAD ants!
I don't know why either soap or boric acid work, other than they do, without damaging the plant.
But thinking about it, injesting soap what happens? It tears your insides out. (Appt. with the bathroom bowl!) And acid, well....

Enjoy your weekend away.
I expect a full report when you get back - No, not about the roses,
the weekend! Ha, ha.
Just kidding!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Well, I'll tell you about both. :-)

The rose leaves are browning and not looking so good, as are the petals. I didn't remove the bad leaves first. Because I am obviously forgetful, unobservant, and an amateur. I was actually extremely short on time which didn't help matters. I didn't see a difference with the leaves that got sprayed with different things. I don't think Wonder Cleaner can clog leaf pores, but it's possible. I think the bush may make it though. I guess tomorrow I should remove the bad leaves.

I had a great weekend though. I went to my in-laws house and got a break from my kids. We went to a parade and watched a few fireworks. It was pretty relaxing.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:30 AM   #18
Master Chef

Sure sounds like powdery mildew to me, too..........the leaves provide nutrients to the roses so do treat them as quickly as possible......make sure that you are not watering them in the evenings........that's when the spores are the highest.......water early in the mornings and keep the water off the leaves if possible..........you need a good fungicide............oh, do I ever know what you're going thru........
Old 07-13-2008, 12:24 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Well, I cleared off the dead/dying leaves, which was nearly all of them. I started doing the watering there in the morning, and made sure the water doesn't hit the leaves. I don't know if it's going to make it though--I think it may be too late. Here are some pictures if anyone can help. Most are of the strawberries but they are planted right in front of this rose bush and have the same problem. They start off white, like the first picture after "Charlie Brown", then start dying like the later ones. I found the webs pictured underneath the rose bush and strawberries. Could these be from spider mites?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	charlie brown.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	4573   Click image for larger version

Name:	white strawberry.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	4574  

Name:	bad strawberry.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	4575   Click image for larger version

Name:	bad strawberry2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	4576  

Name:	mite web2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	4577  

Old 07-13-2008, 03:13 AM   #20
Master Chef

You've done the right thing is gathering up all the leaves that have fallen off.......they are loaded with spores that can then travel to other plants.....I wonder too if they might not be a little low on iron.......the bright green veins on white leaves usually indicates this problem..........you can buy iron in liquid form and add water to it..........is this the season for strawberries there? It surely isn't in TX.........but you're way up there in Utah..........it's just weird to see snapdragons and petunias blooming in KZ now........they'd long be decomposing in a TX mulch pile by now....good luck with your strawberries, B'sgirl..........your beds look like they need some good mulching as well......just an observation........