"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 07-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #21
Master Chef

give you a quick test for spying spider mites........take a white piece of paper and flick with your finger the leaves over the white pape--leaf side down.......if you see moving wee spots they are spider mites......you will have to act very quickly or they will annihilate everything in site.........don't wait they will NOT go away........and are disastrous in a garden.........believe it or not we actually have the little buggers here in KZ as cold as it gets here..........don't wait...........hope that you don't

Old 07-13-2008, 05:52 PM   #22
Sous Chef

It is the tail end of the strawberry season here. Petunias and snapdragons are in full bloom. But we also went straight from winter to summer this year--didn't get much of a spring, so my lilies are just barely starting to bloom.

You are right that I need to mulch there. We've only been able to do a bare minimum with our yard. We can't even keep the grass watered! We have had obligations almost every single weekend, which is our only time to do much yard work. Hopefully next year I won't have to travel so much and I can get on top of these things. I actually have bags of garden soil and mulch sitting in my shed just waiting for me to get to that project. I blame it all on Abbie. Pregnancy/delivery took up my spring.

And thanks for the responses. I'm just a beginner and have a lot to learn.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #23
Executive Chef

B, sorry I missed this yesterday. My headache doesn't let me look at the screen too long.

The pics helped to see alittle more clearly.
The first thing you want to do now:
Cut your canes back, taking off about a 3rd. Any dead ones, cut all the way off.
Your rose will bloom again in about 40 to 45 days up until your frost.
(what is the name of the rose,by the way? Crown majesty? Gemini? Double Delight?) Anyway, the saying is, the amount of petals is how many days before it blooms again. According to your pic of the flower, that looks about right.
It's rare roses need iron, however, it does look like your
critters have sucked the life's blood out of that plant.
So now we have to get a bit more agressive. You need to apply a systemic solution in the ground, which puts killing agent into the veins of the plant. As opposed to the topical solution we already tried.
Try Ortho/orothenex - or tell your home center what you need to do with your plant.
Then you definately need to ammend that soil. It looks compacted and like heavy clay. Work some compost in, with some blood/bonemeal added. Put in some time release fertilizer, with NPK for roses - see your garden center guy/girl.
Roses like a slightly acidic soil.(6.5ph) and need a good 6 hours morning sun. Only water 1-2 times a week, but water at ground level and well.
Doing the trimming and soil ammendment shouldn't take more than an hour, if that.
Oh, and the soil you ammend will help your strawberries too, if not this, definately next year.

Good luck, keep us posted, and ask more if you need to.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Thank you so much!

I still haven't done anything else though. It was on the agenda for this evening but I wasn't able to get that far.

You are absolutely right though, all my soil needs mulching. The people who lived here before me weren't into gardening and had a weed trap over the soil instead of mulch so it's been a work-in-progress. Here in Utah the soil is clay, Clay, CLAY so it will take awhile to get it real good and rich. I still have some Nutri-mulch turkey manure leftover from the vegetable garden I can work in. Would crass cuttings work as well? I have a systematic solution now and I'll probably put it in on Monday along with the mulch (I don't work on Sundays).

Should I really cut the canes though? The dead ones are off, but there are so few leaves left on my bush I hate to cut off anything else!

I'm not sure what kind of rose bush it is. I can't find the tags anywhere and I can't remember people's names very well let alone the names of plants! I will try and find the tag though and remember the name this time!

Old 07-20-2008, 03:41 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Yes, cut the canes now. It will take 40-45 days, if you want to save the plant and have it bloom again. Don't wait. It's like cutting the deadends off your hair to make it healthy and grow again. Just do it, if nothing else.
The longer you wait, you risk letting the plant die.
Use the manure if it's compost, and work it into the soil.
But you also called it mulch. Mulch is for top of soil to keep moisture and weeds down. If it's mulch, you need
compost and sand for better drainage, and to lighten up that clay. And you need a good rose fertilizer. That rose is showing you illness as a result of it's living conditions.
It's like you've expected it to florish on bread and water.
It didn't. So now you have to give it medicine to make it healthy again.
Keep the grass clipping for the compost pile. Good green matter, mixed with brown matter will help everything in the spring. But it needs to breakdown first.
If you dress it now with grass, you'll truly find out what a horrible smell rotting grass can give off. And you'll never forget that smell! And isn't that rose by your front door? Not an appealing thought passing that to get in the house!
Again, good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Well the stuff is called Nutri-Mulch, but the label says it is all-purpose compost. The instructions say to turn it into the soil so I think that's what I want. I'm about to go and work it in when I'm done here because the ground is nice and soft (it finally rained last night after a month with no rain)!

I trimmed the canes down this morning. It actually looks better now though, they were getting too long anyway. I also applied the systematic solution. It has some fertilizer in it, but I still need to find a better one. I have some iron granules for the grass, are they okay to use for the bush? I'm thinking to just get the bone meal and forget the iron, but since I have some already I might as well use them if they will help.

Thanks for your patience with my inexperience.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #27
Head Chef

With all the experts giving you help here, your rose will be the envy of your neighbors by this time next summer...or maybe even by the end of this summer...just takes time.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #28
Executive Chef

No. No iron. When you work in the compost, work in some blood/or/bone meal. Otherwise you're just going to have to do it later anyway.
If you want to buy it a present, buy it a time release fertilizer working it in around the perimeter of the plant about 2-3" down, so when you water, it works down to the roots and encourages the roots to grow outward to a broader circle. Another words, if the circumference of the plant is say 4-5", and the top canes are growing out at about say 18" from center where canes meet, put fertilizer around plant at about 18" around circumference of plant.
Also, when you add the compost, turning the soil, make sure you water all this in very well, deep. Then leave it alone for a couple of days.
You've shocked it, with cutting and disturbing the ground. Think about yourself having a minor car accident. You will be shook up and need time to calm down.
Again, good luck.
We're gonna make a go of this if it kills us!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #29
Executive Chef

I changed my mind. Add alittle iron. I just read on iron and roses. It said where ther is heavy clay soil, yours may be more alkaline than the rose likes. The iron will help with this.
Sorry. I'm trying to keep it the least amount of effort with maximum results for you, as I know your time is limited.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Hooray, my roses are starting to revive! I still need to mix in some blood meal, but at least the stems that were going brown are starting to get some green color again. One more branch turned brown and died, you can see it on the right, but it's the only one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rose bush revival2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	4715   Click image for larger version

Name:	rose bush revival.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	4716