"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
It WILL bloom again. Not IF, silly.
Okay, you couldn't get bone meal either? Stange.
But get that rose food, time release, I mentioned.
That will take care of everything and last till the end of season.
(I said it should bloom 40-45 days after cutting back.
So now we can document-through the thread, when you did that the first time, and see exactly how long it takes.)

Do not cover base of the plant with compost/dirt or anything, higher than the base of the soil you originally planted in though.

Thanks for the update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
I say if because it can frost here as early as September. It may bloom before then though, I guess I do need to count the days.

I might be able to get bone meal at Lowe's, or maybe the greenhouse in the next town over. I will make calls and see if they still have any.
Well, it's time to post pics - about 2/3s time from when you last cut.
How's our mascot bush doing?

Old 08-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #42
Sous Chef

Sorry, computer issues have prevented me from posting pictures and getting online much. But I have a new laptop now and I can run Windows again, hooray! The blossoms are only half the size as the original ones. Know why that is? The bush did bloom though, just like you said!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	recovered bush.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	5159   Click image for larger version

Name:	recovered rose.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	5160  

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:25 AM   #43
Executive Chef

I have a question for all the experts out there!!! About May or June my gardener trimmed down my over grown rose bush that was cascading over the railing of my deck, it had a massive amount of roses all over it and was so pretty but I trusted him that it needed to be cut and that it would grow back quickly....well it did grow back just as he said and is quite full as well as tall again but it has yet to produce a single rose again!! I see no buds at all! I water it regularly and it is constantly growing more leaves and looks very healthy but no roses! About a month and a half ago I added miracle grow soil around it and I found tons of earth worms (that is a good thing right?) so I can't think of what else to do for it??
If you need pics I can post some... I might even have a befor pic somewhere!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
Sorry, computer issues have prevented me from posting pictures and getting online much. But I have a new laptop now and I can run Windows again, hooray! The blossoms are only half the size as the original ones. Know why that is? The bush did bloom though, just like you said!
I don't know why, but somehow I missed your latest post above, and pics. Pretty! Glad it's worked out. Don't know why - about the size except it's concentrating it's energy on producing many, rather than just a few monsters. Let's see what happens in the spring...... And don't forget to cut 1/3 off of growth and any dead canes before your first frost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
I have a question for all the experts out there!!! About May or June my gardener trimmed down my over grown rose bush that was cascading over the railing of my deck, it had a massive amount of roses all over it and was so pretty but I trusted him that it needed to be cut and that it would grow back quickly....well it did grow back just as he said and is quite full as well as tall again but it has yet to produce a single rose again!! I see no buds at all! I water it regularly and it is constantly growing more leaves and looks very healthy but no roses! About a month and a half ago I added miracle grow soil around it and I found tons of earth worms (that is a good thing right?) so I can't think of what else to do for it??
If you need pics I can post some... I might even have a befor pic somewhere!
Deelady, worms are the best for all plant soil. Not really sure why no blooms. Based on your location - zone 5?
Miracle grow - all purpose, will give you good green growth, and root growth, but not for your blooms. You need a specific rose food for blooms. Miracle grow brand does have one for roses. Send pics and let me see if I can make a better determination. Do you know what specific rose breed it is?
Old 09-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #45
Executive Chef

I have no idea on what type of rose it is....I can't find the pic I took with the roses on it I just have one of it over grown if you want me to post that?
Here is what it looks like now.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	5224   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	5225  

Old 09-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Here is what it looked like before we bought the house before it had bloomed. But a month later it had roses all going over and through the deck railings!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	300.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	5226  

Old 09-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
About May or June my gardener trimmed down my over grown rose bush that was cascading over the railing of my deck, it had a massive amount of roses all over it and was so pretty but I trusted him that it needed to be cut and that it would grow back quickly....well it did grow back just as he said
Deelady, somehow i missed that sentence that he trimmed bush that had massive amount of roses all over it. Did he trim while in bloom???? Not Good! Never trim while blooming! NEVER! Either in fall, before frost, in summer, after finished blooming, and in spring, when there is no risk of further frost, before it starts to bud. Yikes!

Your trailer looks good though. Nice green growth. But if you haven't gotten blooms again, yet, you won't for the rest of this year. And, DO NOT feed it again until next spring. You'll force it to start producing and it will freeze to death. It's sort of like your mother telling you not to swim or run immediately after eating. Don't overtax the plant.
Do trim it in the fall, like I told B'sgirl. And keep us posted.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Now I really know not to trust his opinion and have him stick to cutting and trimming the grass......esp when he completely cut down to a stub a rose bush that he claimed was a weed.... When I asked him about it he said he had thought it was a weed I then said well it looked just like a rose bush when we bought the place.....now I'm startiing to wonder if it is still alive because something is either growing from it or out from under it?? The leaves look the same a rose bush that is near it but I can't tell yet I guess all I can do is wait and see!
Thanks for your advice quicksilver, will do as you said! Too bad about no more blooms this year but oh well at least it is alive!

Old 09-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Sorry about your gardener experience. Live and learn. Do trim it, but no more than 1/3. If it is a climber/trailer, you can train it in any direction you want, beginning in the spring. That's always fun to try. and interesting what creative things you can do. Until I see a bloom pic, close up though, I can't really tell what you have. What color were the blooms? And lots of petals or just a few overlapping layers?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #50
Executive Chef

The bloom was like a plum color, and I would say about medium petals, not like a cabage rose but not like b'sgirls either at least from what I can remember. A lttle bit later I'll take a pic of my stump with the leaves coming out to see what you think about it.
So I should trim the bigger one again? and when? Also with the bigger one as you saw in the pi I have a small trellis behind it and I started pointing the branches through the slates to try to get it to climb that instead of my deck.