"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 02-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Zone 5-7 salad greens

I started some Corn Salad / lambs lettuce / feldsalat and some Greek oregano in my cold bedroom (50* F) today. Anyone have any tips / luck with growing these plants?

Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
I started some Corn Salad / lambs lettuce / feldsalat and some Greek oregano in my cold bedroom (50* F) today. Anyone have any tips / luck with growing these plants?
Are you really zone 7-10? Montreal is zone 5, but maybe we aren't using the same zone system.

I would love to hear your experience with those. I grew Greek oregano last year. I bought it in a small pot and re-potted it into a larger pot in spring and just grew it outside in plenty of sunshine. It grew fine.

Thank you for the suggestion of lambs lettuce. That's the kind of stuff I should be ordering seeds for - stuff I can't find at the store.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Seeds or seedlings? When I grew all my seeds in the basement under lights, I used heating cable taped to the bottom of the flats. Most (not all) seeds like to be warm in order to germinate. I haven't grown either of these.

My oregano survives our nasty winters outside just fine here.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Are you really zone 7-10? Montreal is zone 5, but maybe we aren't using the same zone system.

I would love to hear your experience with those. I grew Greek oregano last year. I bought it in a small pot and re-potted it into a larger pot in spring and just grew it outside in plenty of sunshine. It grew fine.

Thank you for the suggestion of lambs lettuce. That's the kind of stuff I should be ordering seeds for - stuff I can't find at the store.
You're right as usual, Linda. I should have said zones 5 - 7. I'm short in the sunshine and long in the whitetail deer department. Being surrounded by water our microclimate is slow to warm in spring and late to cool in fall.
I have not had any luck changing thread titles.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Seeds or seedlings? When I grew all my seeds in the basement under lights, I used heating cable taped to the bottom of the flats. Most (not all) seeds like to be warm in order to germinate. I haven't grown either of these.

My oregano survives our nasty winters outside just fine here.
Seeds.
Where is here?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't understand why you give a range for the zone you're in. I thought each location is in a single zone. You can find your zone by entering your zip code here: http://www.garden.org/zipzone/

I'm in zone 7b. We have only planted herbs and lettuces outside and they do fine. Herbs need very little care; they thrive on neglect. Lettuces need regular sunlight and watering, but don't overdo it.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

One great thing about planting your own lettuce is that you can trim off the larger outer leaves for your salad, and the plant just keeps growing new ones. It actually seems to help the lettuce thrive - up to a point, when the lettuce will start to grow tall and get a bit bitter. Then you know to start with new seeds. I hadn't heard of lamb's lettuce, so happy to learn of that. Each year I try some new variety along with the old stables that I know grow well in Hawaii, with this year's being Thoreau Romaine and Gandhi Butterhead.

Alden Cornell Molokai Hawaii
Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post

Seeds.
Where is here?
We're zone 5b. I usually plant lettuce directly in the outside containers in spring, it can take the cold. Corn salad could probably do the same.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
Head Chef

I actually grow my lettuce inside in an aerogarden, which for leafy things such as lettuce, basil, other herbs, works exceptionally well. I leave it in my boiler room, which maintains a temp of about 75 degrees year round.

Probably April Ill get the lettuce seeds directly in the ground. They germinate relatively quickly, and if a leaf lettuce, will mature rapidly as well. And as mentioned above, clip off the outer or bigger leaves, and the lettuce will produce for weeks.

Although many lettuce like cooler weather, i think 50 F is on the cold side. Im guessing 65 + or - would be more ideal. Also as mentioned above, i think even warmer would be desired until they actually sprout, just to light a fire under their butt :) .

Im definitely getting the Gardening itch, cant wait to get out there, although with 6 - 8 inches of snow on the way, looks like ill have to wait a little bit longer.

btw Justplainbill, we're neighbors. Im probably not as east as you, but still on the island, so we probably follow similar gardening guidelines
Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I actually think 50F is fine. We plant lettuce in the fall and early spring here. They often overwinter, when it's mild, which is temps in the 40s.

I'm getting the itch, too! This time last year, we were planting beans and peas, but it's way too cold - 37F today.

Tags
salad