Zone 5-7 salad greens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justplainbill

Executive Chef
I started some Corn Salad / lambs lettuce / feldsalat and some Greek oregano in my cold bedroom (50* F) today. Anyone have any tips / luck with growing these plants?

Last edited by a moderator:
I started some Corn Salad / lambs lettuce / feldsalat and some Greek oregano in my cold bedroom (50* F) today. Anyone have any tips / luck with growing these plants?
Are you really zone 7-10? Montreal is zone 5, but maybe we aren't using the same zone system.

I would love to hear your experience with those. I grew Greek oregano last year. I bought it in a small pot and re-potted it into a larger pot in spring and just grew it outside in plenty of sunshine. It grew fine.

Thank you for the suggestion of lambs lettuce. That's the kind of stuff I should be ordering seeds for - stuff I can't find at the store.

Seeds or seedlings? When I grew all my seeds in the basement under lights, I used heating cable taped to the bottom of the flats. Most (not all) seeds like to be warm in order to germinate. I haven't grown either of these.

My oregano survives our nasty winters outside just fine here.

Are you really zone 7-10? Montreal is zone 5, but maybe we aren't using the same zone system.

I would love to hear your experience with those. I grew Greek oregano last year. I bought it in a small pot and re-potted it into a larger pot in spring and just grew it outside in plenty of sunshine. It grew fine.

Thank you for the suggestion of lambs lettuce. That's the kind of stuff I should be ordering seeds for - stuff I can't find at the store.
You're right as usual, Linda. I should have said zones 5 - 7. I'm short in the sunshine and long in the whitetail deer department. Being surrounded by water our microclimate is slow to warm in spring and late to cool in fall.
I have not had any luck changing thread titles.

Last edited:
Seeds or seedlings? When I grew all my seeds in the basement under lights, I used heating cable taped to the bottom of the flats. Most (not all) seeds like to be warm in order to germinate. I haven't grown either of these.

My oregano survives our nasty winters outside just fine here.

Seeds.
Where is here?

Last edited:
I don't understand why you give a range for the zone you're in. I thought each location is in a single zone. You can find your zone by entering your zip code here: http://www.garden.org/zipzone/

I'm in zone 7b. We have only planted herbs and lettuces outside and they do fine. Herbs need very little care; they thrive on neglect. Lettuces need regular sunlight and watering, but don't overdo it.

Last edited:
One great thing about planting your own lettuce is that you can trim off the larger outer leaves for your salad, and the plant just keeps growing new ones. It actually seems to help the lettuce thrive - up to a point, when the lettuce will start to grow tall and get a bit bitter. Then you know to start with new seeds. I hadn't heard of lamb's lettuce, so happy to learn of that. Each year I try some new variety along with the old stables that I know grow well in Hawaii, with this year's being Thoreau Romaine and Gandhi Butterhead.

Alden Cornell Molokai Hawaii

I actually grow my lettuce inside in an aerogarden, which for leafy things such as lettuce, basil, other herbs, works exceptionally well. I leave it in my boiler room, which maintains a temp of about 75 degrees year round.

Probably April Ill get the lettuce seeds directly in the ground. They germinate relatively quickly, and if a leaf lettuce, will mature rapidly as well. And as mentioned above, clip off the outer or bigger leaves, and the lettuce will produce for weeks.

Although many lettuce like cooler weather, i think 50 F is on the cold side. Im guessing 65 + or - would be more ideal. Also as mentioned above, i think even warmer would be desired until they actually sprout, just to light a fire under their butt :) .

Im definitely getting the Gardening itch, cant wait to get out there, although with 6 - 8 inches of snow on the way, looks like ill have to wait a little bit longer.

btw Justplainbill, we're neighbors. Im probably not as east as you, but still on the island, so we probably follow similar gardening guidelines

I actually think 50°F is fine. We plant lettuce in the fall and early spring here. They often overwinter, when it's mild, which is temps in the 40s.

I'm getting the itch, too! This time last year, we were planting beans and peas, but it's way too cold - 37°F today.

I actually think 50°F is fine. We plant lettuce in the fall and early spring here. They often overwinter, when it's mild, which is temps in the 40s.

I'm getting the itch, too! This time last year, we were planting beans and peas, but it's way too cold - 37°F today.

I have a 12 foot high snowbank sitting on top of my blueberries, courtesy of the county road commision, and snow in my yard that's 3 foot deep. Temps were in the 20's here today, and yesterday. But the last few nights have been single digit temps, and below 0 F. temps last week. It'll be a month more before we can even consider planting anything in the ground, and whatever is planted needs to be able to survive a frost.

Even with that, I'm starting to get the itch as well. I have seeds sprouting in the house, so that they'll be ready to transplant when the time is right.

I believe that I'm in zone 7 too.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

I have a 12 foot high snowbank sitting on top of my blueberries, courtesy of the county road commision, and snow in my yard that's 3 foot deep. Temps were in the 20's here today, and yesterday. But the last few nights have been single digit temps, and below 0 F. temps last week. It'll be a month more before we can even consider planting anything in the ground, and whatever is planted needs to be able to survive a frost.

Even with that, I'm starting to get the itch as well. I have seeds sprouting in the house, so that they'll be ready to transplant when the time is right.

I believe that I'm in zone 7 too.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

I think you're in Zone 4, Chief :) USDA Hardiness Zone Finder

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom