Zucchini Flowers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gto

Assistant Cook
I have been reading this site for awhile and it has great info.

When I was young I remember gardening with my grandfather. Every year when the zucchini plants (I think they were zucchini) would flower we would go out and pick the male (I believe that is what he said) only flowers batter them and fry them up. They were always a treat.

I suffer from what most you people do and did that is never paying attention.

Is anyone here familiar with what I am talking about? If so my specific questions are:

1. Is male flowers correct and how do you tell the differnce
2. Am I remembering it being zucchini correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Ive stuffed them with brie, then egg and bread crummed them then fried. The cheese melts and it is great. Im sure there are other versions of the stuffed , fried flower

Squash blossoms are very popular here - always available in the produce department and markets. I've never cooked with them, but had some wonderful chicken/squash blossom crepes in a nice restaurant here, garnished with huitacochle (corn fungus). Yum.

they are wonderful. stuff with cheese or chopped salumi of some kind, or a mixture. egg and bread or make a simple batter (beer or tempura or even a simple pancake batter) and fry. really delicious!

ooooooooooh I love those!
Best ones I've had yet were in Houston a few months back. VERY lightly battered, fried, but no drippy greasy residue...stuffed with cream cheese and some type of herb. There was a lemon-cream-white wine sauce to dip them in. AMAZING!

PS - great site, TATT!

Many thanks to everyone especially for sharing the link with pictures. I love pictures.

I glad I found this site. I have asked many people in the past and they look at me like I am crazy for eating a flower.

Thanks again.

PS I just waiting for the blooms!

In addition to zucchini blossoms, gto, yellow squash blossoms are good to eat. I haven't gone all the way through the link TATTRAT posted, but it may address those, too.

There are a number of edible blossoms in the culinary world.

Thank you, that link is in my read file. I remember just plain jane batter flowers but some of the stuffed variation sound worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom