Back of the truck...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I bought some beef from the back of a truck today. The ranchers here are sick of all the crap being dished out so they are selling their beef off the back of trucks.

Excellent prices. Just wondering if anyone else has done this. I think this might be uniquely Canadian right now, but all the rest of you chime in with any of your experiences of buying meat somewhere other than a store. I'd love to read them.

Hi Alix

It'd be a neat experiment, but I'd buy cautiously at first...

Of course Cdn ranchers are inflicted with the "quota" thing, and there was that scandle about the packing houses being American owned that Klein was whining about (because he never bothered to find out about ownership) that caught a bazillion bucks from the Feds, while the ranchers suffered as the USA stuck it where the Sun don't shine for Canada's beef industry...

Iffen I as you, I'd visit the rancher, rather than buy it off his truck, and have him hange it for extra time, seeing as you are getting the saving off the packer!...Hang it 28-35 days (the shrinkage is incredible!) the flavour is literally drop dead FANTASTIC!...With any savings, its about a break-even thing...(and you'll never eat Safeway beef again!), and perhaps you could pick out your own animal, or carcass...if you "know" about selecting meat, or have a "buddy" that's skilled or knowledgeable (my FIL was a gov't inspector, my uncle a butcher!) you'll be an enormous bound ahead...

Lifter

Alix,

Did you ever see that I Love Lucy episode where she was trying to get rid of the extra beef she had and was selling it out of a baby carriage inside the meat store? lol

The other day a guy came into James's store with 3 packages of deer meat. He asked if we would like to buy them. I think James has seen him around town, and he did not appear to be very well off. James gave him a few dollars and told him to keep the meat so that he would have something to eat.

:) Barbara

You know what Alix....I think this may be an Albertan thing.....My dad butchers his own and sells it out of his basement.....we are clean when we are packing ect, and really it's not much different than the store....darker but the same.,.....I think with most ranchers they have to have a government authorization to sell privately. Which of course means that it would be inspected anyways.....to a point....I would buy buy buy and buy some more....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and....not too mention....look at all our anscestors(sp?) they servived.////....people worry too much about the little things anymore

Find me a man, woman, or child, who has been sickened or died from eating Cdn Beef, let alone Alberta beef (not a challenge to you Alix, just anyone else!)... but if you can, it'll be a surprise to me...

Lifter

Hey thanks all. Lifter, I buy 4H beef most of the time anyway, so we get to see the beef on the hoof. Mmmmmmmmmm! I have just about run out of the stuff we bought in June (lots of BBQing this year!) so I need to restock.

This guy will be back today, and I am going to buy more. His stuff IS inspected, and his prices are good. Yum yum! I figure that he has already been inspected, his meat is good (tasty I mean) and the price is right.

I was just sort of wondering if anyone else has this going on. Tanis, I am guessing you don't need to buy too much do you? Lucky girl!

About the only meat i buy every so often is steak....my dads greedy that way! And as it is, he just got back from hunting, not sure what he got but I would imagine Ill have a good hull of deer in a short time! I love my parents...reallly! I had to invest in a freezer just cuz my fridge one wouldnt hold the roasts, hamburger, ect......I guess we are pretty fortunate that way!

I bought a bird feeder off the back of a truck once - does that count? :mrgreen:

If it's inspected I would buy the heck out of it!!!!

Y'know, come to think of it...the 4H beef isn't inspected. Hmmm...oh what the heck...hasn't killed me yet.

With 4H beef Alix, I believe that where it is slaughtered and butchered has to be inspected though......hey, i've been eating meat out of the basement for oh 20 some years and I'm still here......

Trust me Tanis...I am NOT worried. When you get to see how well those cows are treated you don't worry about anything they might be harbouring. I was just being goofy.

tancowgirl2000 said:
With 4H beef Alix, I believe that where it is slaughtered and butchered has to be inspected though......hey, i've been eating meat out of the basement for oh 20 some years and I'm still here......

jeffrey dahmer kept his meat in the basement too. :shock:

meat from the basement tanis????????????? i know things are different in texas, but that just sounds weird....lol.

LOL! Tanis isn't from Texas...she is a good ole Canadian girl, just about an hour south of me. I am hoping her Dad's basement is not Dahmer like!!!

Alix said:
LOL! Tanis isn't from Texas...she is a good ole Canadian girl, just about an hour south of me. I am hoping her Dad's basement is not Dahmer like!!!

oops, lol, that's right. i was just reading a thread about texas, and my brain just mushed the two ideas together. lol.
umm, we all know aboot you canucks. you never can tell what's going on under that tuke??????

LOL, thanks for making me chuckle bucky. I can always count on you. You reminded me of one of my favourite sayings. When we tell someone to pull themselves together and not be such an idiot we say "give your toque (or tuke) a spin"

Barbara L said:
Alix,

Did you ever see that I Love Lucy episode where she was trying to get rid of the extra beef she had and was selling it out of a baby carriage inside the meat store? lol

The other day a guy came into James's store with 3 packages of deer meat. He asked if we would like to buy them. I think James has seen him around town, and he did not appear to be very well off. James gave him a few dollars and told him to keep the meat so that he would have something to eat.

:LOL: @ I love Lucy!!!... Yes, I saw that episode... hilarious!! If I had a big freezer, I wouldn't mind having that much beef! :LOL:

she was born and raised from my hometown.

Juliev said:
Barbara L said:
Alix,

:LOL: @ I love Lucy!!!... Yes, I saw that episode... hilarious!! If I had a big freezer, I wouldn't mind having that much beef! :LOL:

she was born and raised from my hometown.
When my husband was a kid he got to kiss Lucille Ball on the cheek. He thought that was neat, but what he really loved was that he also got to kiss Elizabeth Montgomery (Bewitched) on the cheek. He had a huge crush on her at the time!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom