Baking bacon rules!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherifffruitfly

Senior Cook
I'm sure I'm the last person in the world to hop on this particular boat, but wutever....

I'll never fry bacon again, god willing - baking it has every virtue and no vice. It's like magic - I sweartagod!

:LOL:

My grandaddy always use to bake his bacon in the oven when I was a little girly! I tried it once and had grease splatters all over my oven! What's the trick? I pretty much just microwave it now, but it isn't the same!

Just lay the bacon strips on a cookie sheet and toss it in the oven. If you have racks that are oven proof lay the strips on that and the grease drips off. I don't have much splatter when I do this.

ooooohhhh, cookie sheet. hmmm, not foil? okay! I will try it again once I am able to erase the memory of fighting my way through the smoke and getting that smell out of the house!:LOL:

LOL! Make sure the hood fan is on high...just in case! I do mine at about 350. I have to admit though...I like my bacon kinda chewy, not crispy.

thanks for the tip - how long do you cook it for? I recently cooked my bacon on the george foreman grill - if you have one you may want to try it this way too - thanks for the oven tip -

This is how I have done it for years (a restaurant thing, that transferred to home cooking.

Parchment paper works well on the baking sheet.

I like mine done on the GF grill also. DH and I don't agree on just how crisp - I like mine with all the grease out - he likes his still a bit soft. It is easy to judge exactly the right stage on the grill - also no smoke - no spatters - quite easy cleanup.

I also do mine in the oven. Since it is just the 2 of us home now,
I started cooking a package of bacon at a time and storing it in the freezer. The precooked bacon in the grocery store is so expensive compare to doing it yourself. I do it on cooking sheets, I don't have a problem with smoke. I do it @ 300 degrees and about 10 to 15 min. Sometimes it is a little longer. Just watch it. Also remember pulling it out of the oven the HOT GREASE.
Also I take one package of bacon and separte it, laying in layers of 6 across (depending on your storage container size) then a layer of Plastic wrap, another layer of bacon and so on. Then store it in the freezer - So that I can take out one or two peices as needed when cooking and recipe calls for bacon.

When I need to cook a lot of bacon I will do it in the oven, but if I am just cooking a few pieces or I feel like giving some strength to the seasoning on my cast iron pan then I will do it on the stove top.

Thanks for the reminder, y'all! I've cooked both ways, oven in food service and stove top at home. This weekend I need to cook a lot of bacon for potato skins, and now I think I'll do it in the oven!

Here's a question . . . . . what temp? I want crispy to be crumbled over the skins. When I worked food service, we used a convection oven, which also would make a difference. I was thinking 300 to 350 or so. Sound right?

Parchment paper, wise for cooking bacon in the oven! I hope to save the drippings though, for other recipes!

In the restaurant I worked in during college we used to bake 50lbs of bacon at a time. The bacon came in boxes, already on parchment paper. We just transferred them over to cookie sheets and baked it until it looked good. I prefer pan frying, though. It seems to have more flavor, but that's, I'm sure, all in my head.

phinz said:
In the restaurant I worked in during college we used to bake 50lbs of bacon at a time. The bacon came in boxes, already on parchment paper. We just transferred them over to cookie sheets and baked it until it looked good. I prefer pan frying, though. It seems to have more flavor, but that's, I'm sure, all in my head.

Bingo. Huge box, already on parchment! :chef:

I use a non-stick for stove top, mainly because I have nothing else. Planning on geting a SS set, a wok, a cast iron or two, and a no stick or two (they work great for eggs).

As for preferring one over the other, I never really bothered to think about it or compare. Also, all fo the food service bacon was standard, not in the varying flavors available at grocers.

I've baked, pan fried, baked on a rack and microwaved and my brain and tongue tell me pan frying is tastiest no matter which brand of bacon. I tend to get the least fatty bacon I can find without regard to brand, though. I need to find one with reduced sodium so I can eat it more often. I'm in the process of seasoning a CI pan, so I need to run some bacon through it to help it along.

My aunt often fixed Sunday brunch for the family...her husband and 4 girls, in-laws, and anyone else who happened to be in town for the weekend.
She cooked her bacon in the oven, using the broiler pan. It was always crisp. Perhaps she finished it off with the broiler.

BigDog said:
Bingo. Huge box, already on parchment! :chef:

I use a non-stick for stove top, mainly because I have nothing else. Planning on geting a SS set, a wok, a cast iron or two, and a no stick or two (they work great for eggs).

As for preferring one over the other, I never really bothered to think about it or compare. Also, all fo the food service bacon was standard, not in the varying flavors available at grocers.
350 is a giood temp for bacon.

In my restaurant, I lay bacon on a cooling rack on a sheetpan and bake it full blast for 5-10 minutes. It is crisp, and the grease drops to the pan and it doesn't shrink as much as in a pan; that's just my experience. Try bacon wrapped scallops the same way, when the bacon is crisp, the scallops are done.

It's a convection oven with fans that blow air around which makes things cook more evenly. Full blast is about 500 or 550 (your oven may say 500 but it probably only gets to about 475 or so.) which is a great point to bring up, I have My ovens calibrated professionally, I keep an oven thermometer in my oven to assure me that the temp is what it is supposed to be. It is very easy for an oven to be off. I promise you that if you put an oven thermometer in your oven, it will read differently than what is on the dial, only if a few degrees or so. (thats alot if your doing delicate baking at a fine fine restaurant.

Back
Top Bottom