Bangers and mash, what sausage should I use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vaughan's Family Butchers - HomepageThese young guys opened their butchers shop in the nearest village to me Pen-y-fford.
I have not had to get my kenwood out to make sausages since they arrived.The village is very small with one pub, chemist and a small general store people come from England to buy his award winning sausages.
Ps you will notice it the annual British sausage week in NOV:)

If you go about it in the right way you can get any product anywhere! Just go to the supermarket armed with a good sausage recipe. Ask to speak to the butcher on duty making sure you checked what fresh sausages they do stock. Compliment some of them when speaking to the butcher and then ask if he would mind terribly to make up a batch of sausages for you :angel:
When I do my monthly shop I phone the day before and when I get there my monthly requests are packed and waiting for me :LOL:
You can also ask the manager to order products for you that they don't have in store and they are always happy to help where possible!

It also helps to wear lipstick, and lots of mascara for eye batting. Wait! I think this person is a he.

Around here you can get brats in both fresh or smoked. The bangers & mash I've had were fresh; but then I've never been to England (at least not as an adult), mine were in "English" style pubs in the US and in Hong Kong (yes, when it was the ends of the empire). Which means a mild Italian sausage might do as well.

That said, while "authentic" can be a goal, I'm with those who say, go with what you like.

It isn't something I can imagine making with the chorizo I can get here.

Last edited:
I made it, it was good, but too bratwursty. Potatoes are easy and I did really good on the onion gravy. I think it's just that nutmeg, allspice or whatever is in the mix they use, it was kinda overpowering.

Thanks for the suggestion about having them make you stuff, but I'd be too embarrassed.

I made it, it was good, but too bratwursty. Potatoes are easy and I did really good on the onion gravy. I think it's just that nutmeg, allspice or whatever is in the mix they use, it was kinda overpowering.

Thanks for the suggestion about having them make you stuff, but I'd be too embarrassed.

Why embarrassed? It's your money, you are the customer. All they can say is no, they don't make it. Customers need to speak up. You are not there for them, they are there for you!

Back
Top Bottom