"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 08-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I did, pretty much what you are saying.

In my skillet with a little oil, I browned my sausages on all sides and removed them to a plate. I added a couple tablespoons of butter and a whole sliced sweet onion, I cooked them on medium low until they caramelized, I added a bit of flour to the onions, maybe a couple tablespoons, and cooked that for a minute. I added some beef stock, probably 3 cups, and stirred until combined. I added back the sausages and their juices from the plate along with a healthy dose of fresh ground pepper and a bit of salt, I let that all simmer until the sauce was a thickened and the sausages were cooked.

The sauce tasted like a nice rich french onion soup. This is such a tasty and easy dish to make. I also make the mashed potatoes with lots of butter!

I bet the brats or sweet Italian sausage would work well.

I didn't have a recipe, I was just trying to recreate the dish that I was served in an Irish pub downtown.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #12
Cook

That sounds like exactly what I'll do, thanks.

I didn't know about this dish till I found it by a progression of clicks on Wikipedia; where you look up something and then find a hundred other interesting things...half hour later you're discovering B&M.

Same with fabada, which I bastardized into a weekly family meal.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #13
Half Baked

Whay not try making a batch of sausages.My buddy does it from time to time and he make several types when doing it. They freeze well and if you have a kitcheniad mixer they make a stuffer attachment or you can just make patties.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #14
Cook

We are basically poor at the moment and we live in a small apartment. Even if I could afford an apparatus to do what I needed, I have almost no room for my pots and pans, let alone a new item.

That's why I'm not just trying the different kinds, sausage is like 5 - 6 dollars for a pack of 5, we use chicken thighs mostly for animal protein (10 dollars for 24 thighs), sausage is kind of a luxury ironically.

I would if I could though.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #15
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by callahan9119 View Post
We are basically poor at the moment and we live in a small apartment. Even if I could afford an apparatus to do what I needed, I have almost no room for my pots and pans, let alone a new item.

I would if I could though.
You Can!
It is nothing more than ground pork that has been seasoned. Make patties and fry them.You can make them 1lb at a time if you want.

Here is a recipe. You could divide by 5 for 1 lb. http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/...%20Bangers.pdf

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #16
Cook

Thanks actually for that recipe, but I don't have a grinder.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:57 AM   #17
Master Chef

Have you tried asking the butcher at your grocer? I often ask the butcher that works at my local grocer to make sausages for me and he's more than happy to do so.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:30 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by callahan9119 View Post
I can't get Cumberland sausage in Ohio, at least where I live. I've never had it before so I don't know what its closest analogue would be from among the products I can get here.

The sausage they make at my grocer is sweet or hot "Italian", bratwurst, chorizo and sometimes kielbasa. I won't use prepackaged factory sausages.

I've been interested in English food lately (strange I know) and would like to try and make a good bangers and mash with what's available here. The mashed potatoes and onion gravy are easy enough to put together, i just don't know what sausage would go best with it.
Cumberland sausage is an EU protected product, I agree about English food the haven't got a clue compared to the Scottish,Irish or Welsh
Old 08-25-2011, 01:34 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Well chorizo isn't the only garlicy sausage out there, and it isn't even close to what you want for bangers and mash.

Around St. Patrick's day Trader Joe's carried Irish bangers, and they looked like this. Real Irish bangers have some "rusk" or bread in them,

This was my finished dish.
authentic stuff BC, I also like some mushy peas with mine.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:43 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Cumberland sausage is an EU protected product, I agree about English food the haven't got a clue compared to the Scottish,Irish or Welsh
If you go about it in the right way you can get any product anywhere! Just go to the supermarket armed with a good sausage recipe. Ask to speak to the butcher on duty making sure you checked what fresh sausages they do stock. Compliment some of them when speaking to the butcher and then ask if he would mind terribly to make up a batch of sausages for you
When I do my monthly shop I phone the day before and when I get there my monthly requests are packed and waiting for me
You can also ask the manager to order products for you that they don't have in store and they are always happy to help where possible!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sausage