"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 09-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
OH S****, it won't let me edit my OP, but, I am not talking to everyone on a cooking board like they are idiots, I shared this first on an automotive forum I frequent, and some of those guys can't make ice, so I had to put things in terms everyone could understand, while doing a little educating so they can impress their ladyfriends with fancy culinary words.
Looks great, Tattrat. I missed your recipe re: how to make ice...

Old 09-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #12
Flour Child

What an amazing recipe tutorial...awesome step-by-step photos. You had me at the sauteed onions and garlic! It's good to hear you're back on your feet after surgery. Take care

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

It has been snowing all day. You are exhausted from shoveling. Come in the back door stomping all the snow off and take off your outer clothing. Then with a nice loaf of artisian bread, you break off a big piece, and sop up the liquor. The rest of meal you inhale. Now you go back for seconds. Time to sit down and watch your favorite TV show or just sit and listen to your favorite music. The perfect end to a very busy day. And you hope it doesn't snow tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #14
Executive Chef

i just love a good new england boiled dinner, tat, and yours looks extra-fine! i wanna be in your class, teach.... :)
Old 09-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
Head Chef

This morning in the meat aisle they had wrapped packages of various cuts of smoked turkey, which seems like it might be a nice addition to the pot (not that it needs a thing!). I've never bought any smoked turkey. What parts might you recommend - between, say, necks or legs, which they had sawed up into several pieces. Any suggestions, Tattrat?

I enjoyed your blow-by-blow photos and commentary and think how valuable they would be to a beginner cook.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
This morning in the meat aisle they had wrapped packages of various cuts of smoked turkey, which seems like it might be a nice addition to the pot (not that it needs a thing!). I've never bought any smoked turkey. What parts might you recommend - between, say, necks or legs, which they had sawed up into several pieces. Any suggestions, Tattrat?

I enjoyed your blow-by-blow photos and commentary and think how valuable they would be to a beginner cook.
If they are all the same 'by the pound' price, then I would go with the legs. More meat. The neck meat is more tender, but a lot of work picking it out. And since it is mostly bone, you are paying a premium price for bone that only flavors the broth, and then tossed out. There is more than enough meat and veggies flavoring the broth. Do you really need to add more bones? I would go for the leg. More bang for your buck.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
Head Chef

Brings back memories of a dish my mom used to make. Very similar, but she never put any kind of alcohol in it. I'm gonna try your version.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post

Thanks.

Smoked turkey would be great, especially for building the broth.

I know some folks are put off by certain things, but I have NO issues with nibbling on a turkey neck! Legs, and thighs have that same rich flavor(I just prefer dark meant, and don't know a Chef who would choose a breast over dark meant).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If they are all the same 'by the pound' price, then I would go with the legs. More meat. The neck meat is more tender, but a lot of work picking it out. And since it is mostly bone, you are paying a premium price for bone that only flavors the broth, and then tossed out. There is more than enough meat and veggies flavoring the broth. Do you really need to add more bones? I would go for the leg. More bang for your buck.
Yup. That's buying smart. More meat, is certainly more value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Brings back memories of a dish my mom used to make. Very similar, but she never put any kind of alcohol in it. I'm gonna try your version.
The booze is Purely optional, as said. the last plate I made of it, I used added some Guinness, and a splash of makers mark to reduce, then the broth, and it was like I could feel my beard growing, and a flannel shirt appeared on me. .. and I had a craving for things like shotguns, and a coon skin cap. It was wonderful, rich, manly and Delicious.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:51 AM   #19
Master Chef

That looks delicious!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe, sausage, dinner

"Boiled Dinner," TATTRAT Style I put this in here, because you can do this with ANY sausage you have, be it this style of leftover Hill-shire Farm stuff, or proper, nice, homemade artisan sausage. . . Do it with thick ham steaks too, nice and hearty. So, there are many takes on a "Boiled dinner". I like 'em because you can just set it, and forget it. It's like a crock pot but a little more finesse, and it doesn't take 6 hours. This is a "Gotta Go 3 Meat Boil". . . I had Kielbasa, Smoked Beef Sausage, and Some Southern Turkey Sausage(all Hillshire farms ****, nothing special, I get my groceries delivered to the house so I am lucky to get anything). This also works GREAT with thick cut ham steaks(that was what I wanted to do, but they were out of stock). [B]What you will need:[/B] Sausages/Smoked meat, Cabbage, Onion, Carrot, Stock(Chicken and beef, please note the 3 cubes of beef bullion as I didn't have canned beef stock available), Garlic, herbs of your choice, I prefer fresh thyme as it's light and floral, cuts through the richness of the meat, but isn't strong or overpowering, like rosemary can be. In addition to the FRESH ONION, and FRESH GARLIC, also use onion powder, and granulated garlic. Crushed Red Pepper, butter, Olive oil canola blend(you don't need a lot) AND SALT AND PEPPER FOR CHRIST SAKE. Bread. The crustier, supple interior, fragrant bread: A good hunk of Sourdough, or some Baguette, just something. [B]For a cooking vessel:[/B] I use a medium sized stock pot, or, as your Mom would call it, a Soup Pot. [B]Firstly, is the prep:[/B] -Sausage: I like to leave in about 3-4inch sections, on the bias cut(just for eye appeal). -Potatoes:These are Yukon golds, they hold up better, and don't break down like a russet. Cut into 6ths, like nice wedges. -Carrots: Peel, and slice into medium sized batons, or of they are small carrots, just 3inch sections, with a bias cut. -Onion: Peel, and cut into wedges, not too unlike the potatoes -Cabbage: If you like it, use the whole head, if not use half, it cooks down and just takes on the flavor of all the other stuff. I used HALF a head, cut into medium sized wedges [B]Ready to go:[/B] [IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8322/8002094863_fd9704f2fa_c.jpg[/IMG] [B]The DRY Goods[/B] [IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8040/8002090475_8a35f3a75c_c.jpg[/IMG] [B]The Pot:[/B] [IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8442/8002090772_f3c17a87f8_c.jpg[/IMG] FIRSTLY, heat that jammy up, not ripping crazy hot, but hot, You are gonna be going in with a lot of ingredients, so it's better to start with it hot so the re-coup time to bring back up to temp isn't that bad. ADD 2T of Oil, and 2T of Butter. The butter should foam almost instantly, and you want it to get a little browned around the edges, the toasty milk solids in the butter help add richness to the broth. Remember, more Color, More better when building a broth/stock/sauce. [IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8315/8002091574_8eedc18330_c.jpg[/IMG] [B][SIZE=4]NOW, ON TO ZEE COOOOOOKINGGGGGGGGGGGG![/SIZE][/B] First to the party, Onion, and garlic, let em go until they start getting some color on them, again, more color, more flavor. SALT, AND PEPPER YOUR ONIONS, they don't season themselves, and the salt will help draw out moisture so that things brown a little quicker. [IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8300/8002088832_674884be0d_c.jpg[/IMG] Don't burn em, but let em go, they aren't delicate flowers, and the heat will break up the chunks as it breaks them down. . . Once you get some color on them, time for the dry goods; Add some Onion powder, granulated garlic, your bullion cubes(if you are using liquid broth, hold off), and crushed red pepper. Give them all a stir to get things distributed. [IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8437/8002085945_e9cd6a3b9e_c.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews