Bone broth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is what I start with:

Attachments

• IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 318
I'm not sure why you're hung up on calcium and minerals. I don't think you get calcium from stock, just because drinking milk provides calcium to your bones. I'm not a doctor, but I don't think it works the other way around. If you boil bones, you get calcium-rich stock. As for minerals, they are in your water. Nutrients like vitamins are usually destroyed the longer you cook something.

The main object of your stock is rich flavor and texture. Your vitamins and minerals can be gotten from the fresh vegetables you add to the stock or your finished dish.

But no, DO NOT MAKE STOCK IN A PRESSURE COOKER. The purpose of a pressure cooker is to raise the boiling point of water to cook under a higher moist temperature than 212F / 100C. As stated earlier, this is much too high a temperature, and too violent a cooking method to result in a clear, ungreasy stock.

I am hung up in calcium because I can not have dairy.

I am intolerant to many food and I only eat 3 types of vegetables and lean meat/fish. Thats way I need all the nutrient I can get.
Broth is Beautiful

I agree with ChefTodd. And golithii

The fat emulsifies if you boil your stock/broth. And once that happens you can't undo it.

Making it in a pressure cooker will make for a greasy stock.

If that doesn't bother you (it does me), then go for it.

If it does, simmer your liquid and don't boil or use a PC.

Do you take supplements?

I agree with ChefTodd. And golithii

The fat emulsifies if you boil your stock/broth. And once that happens you can't undo it.

Making it in a pressure cooker will make for a greasy stock.

If that doesn't bother you (it does me), then go for it.

If it does, simmer your liquid and don't boil or use a PC.

Do you take supplements?

I have just started with calcium and vitamin D. The next week I also hope to start with selen and zinc.

My Dad made New England Boiled Dinner in a pressure cooker, with venison. There was so much grease on top of the broth that he had to skim it off. To emulsify grease, you have to have an emulsifying agent, like a base, or mustard, or egg yolk. The grease droplets will be made smaller. That is true. But it is still lighter than is the water, and doesn't combine with it. It floats to the top. And as for broths, they don't need to be clear. That's consume', and there are techniques used to make it clear. Broths must be rich in flavor and texture. And the nutrients from the inner parts of the bone do come out into the broth. Not all nutrients are damaged by heat. And in fact, in vegetables such as spinach, the nutrients aren't even available to the body until the spinach is cooked. Lima beans are poisonous until boiled. Many foods are actually more nutritionally sound after cooking. Son't take my word for it. Talk to a qualified nutritionist.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Today I made bone broth on with the "normal" pot.
I was trying to only let it simmer but on my oven it was not possible to set it between 2 and 0 so i did boil a couple of times. But the bone broth now is like jello ;)

"bone broth" is called stock, broth is made by simmering pieces of meat or vegetables. Stock is made from bones.
If it's like "jello," GREAT!

Sorry :ermm:
I'm just a autistic tenager trying to make the "bone broth" this bone broth recipe Recipes on intro diet.

no problem, it just helps to clarify the issue when terms are used correctly.
I love your posts and enjoy hearing about your cooking!!

Today I made bone broth on with the "normal" pot.
I was trying to only let it simmer but on my oven it was not possible to set it between 2 and 0 so i did boil a couple of times. But the bone broth now is like jello ;)
If it is like jello then you did it right ;)

I am going to bed now but I will try to write all the post again tomorrow and understand it.

Kamp,

This is a photo of some stock that I made about two weeks ago. I made it using a Korean method. This was boiled for a few hours. It is not greasy and the milky color comes from the minerals leached out of the bones. I then cooked some noodles in it and it was great.

3967872518_dac2d0e75a.jpg

To make stock this way take your bones and soak them in cold water for one hour. Drain the water and replace with cold water. Soak for one more hour drain.

Add water again and place on high heat. When it starts to boil start timming. After 20 to 30 minutes pour out water and wash the bones. What you have done is removed the blood from the bones. Now put the bones back on high heat with clean watter and boil for several hours. As your water level goes down add more just keep the bones covered. You will see foam and grease come to the top just keep skimming that off and throw it away.

I have two vids that show me using this meathod.

YouTube - Ggori Gomtang 꼬리곰탕 Korean Ox tail soup

YouTube - Terrine of Pork pyeonyuk 편육

Back
Top Bottom