Bone broth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kamp

Senior Cook
I have read a couple of topics about bone broth. Some places it says it needs to be boiled 4 hours and other 12 hours.
Isn't it right that longer it boild that more nutrient it gets?

Can I make bone broth in my pressure cooker? Will I still get all the minerals and vitamins out of the bone? How long will I need to cook it?

How long you simmer bones to make a stock depends on the size of the bones. For smaller bones like chicken, turkey and duck, 3-6 hours is adequate. For larger bones such as beef, 12 hours is normal.

Flavorful stocks are always made from the bones of animals because of the collagen they contain. Through cooking, collagen is converted to gelatin and water, giving a stock it's texture and richness.

The difference between a stock and a broth is that you make a stock from bones, you buy a broth at the grocery store.

There is so much more to stock making than simply the amount of time you spend simmering the bones. Firstly, never BOIL a stock, always a soft simmer. Boiling will cause many of the impurities to be suspended in the liquid, giving you a cloudy stock.

Always start stock with cold water. Cold water will allow the impurities to congeel and can be skimmed from the top of the stock during cooking. Hot water will dissolve the impurities, giving a cloudy stock.

Stocks should be strained and chilled as quickly as possible. After running your finished stock through a cheese cloth, it should go in a container that's set in an ice-bath. The quicker you cool the stock, the more fat will float to the top to be skimmed away.

If you're making a white stock, like chicken, 3-4 hours is certainly sufficient. If you're making a brown stock, the bones and flavoring agents should be browned in the oven first to caramelize sugars and give that brown color.

Stock making is a delicate process and has a lot more to it than just cooking times.

No, you cannot make a stock in a pressure cooker. The whole idea in broth making is the evaporation of the liquid to condense flavors. Pressure cooker will not allow for evaporation.

Okey.
I did try yeasterday and it had a lot of flavor but if it don't contains all the minerals it is not good.

Broth: "a flavorful liquid obtained from the simmering of meats or vegetables"
Gisslen, p. 206
Stock is made from simmering the bones. p. 209

no boil

My daughter found me a nice cookbook only about making broths and sauces. The highest quality stock comes from NOT boiling, as mentioned previously. That means that a pressure cooker is out is you want the best stock. Slowly simmering is the key.

My book would suggest that ChefToddMohr knows what he is talking about.

:(

But will the broth still contain calcium, minerals ++ if I do make it in the pressure cooker?

You most certainly can make stock in the pressure cooker, and it is clear, flavorful and lovely.

No skimming necessary, just put your bones/chicken pieces, carrots, celery, onions into the cooker, put the lid on, and cook it for an hour.

If you want to reduce the stock, strain it and return to the boil until it is reduced in volume.

Kamp, if you are looking to extract minerals from the bones, add a tablespoon or two of vinegar to the pot--you won't taste it, but it will help pull the calcium out of the bones.

Stock can be made in a pressure cooker just fine. The higher pressure causes the bone to break down faster and the inside goodies to leach out more quickly. Tip, crack all bones so that the marrow is exposed. Collagen comes from connecting tissues, bone marrow, and cartillage. It is a cousin to protien and has similar helath benefits. Using cider vinager is a good way to dissolve the minerals from the bones. But only use a little as you don't want to impart a sour flavor. Acidic veggies, such as celery, cooked with the bones also helps leach out the nutrients.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I gave the definition for "broth" and "stock" from the cookbook, Professional Cooking, by Wayne Gisslen. It is used by cooking schools, most notably Le Cordon Bleu.
again, one can make a broth at home (you don't have to buy it at a store), it is made by simmering meat and/or vegetables, whereas a stock is made by simmering the bones.

I gave the definition for "broth" and "stock" from the cookbook, Professional Cooking, by Wayne Gisslen. It is used by cooking schools, most notably Le Cordon Bleu.
again, one can make a broth at home (you don't have to buy it at a store), it is made by simmering meat and/or vegetables, whereas a stock is made by simmering the bones.

Thank you for the explanation.

No problem... I roast the bones and vegetables (carrot, onion, celery), before I put them in a stock pot to simmer.

No, you cannot make a stock in a pressure cooker. The whole idea in broth making is the evaporation of the liquid to condense flavors.
In the first sentence you talk about stock, but in the second you talk about broth.

Stock can certainly be made in a pressure cooker. The whole idea behind making stock is not evaporation. The whole idea is collagen. If you want to reduce the stock you can always do that after the fact. No reason you can't use a pressure cooker to actually cook the stock and release the collagen.

I get a bit confused.. I try to remember the difference between stock/broth but I mix them. But I am starting to learn after reading all this post.

I think it is bone broth I want to make. I need gelatin and minerals for my leaky gut.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom