Brining Venison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
So we had this venison roast (about 6 pounds) that had been moldering away in the freezer, lo these many months. I convinced Handy Husband to bring it out for our New Year's Day bash to get rid of it (I am not a big venison eater). Here's how HH fixed it:

Soaked overnight in enough water to cover with two handfuls of kosher salt thrown in.

Next morning, rinsed and placed now-brined roast in slow cooker, added 3 ounces of whiskey, Wicker's basting sauce, a little worcestershire sauce, and about half a cup of hot Asian dipping sauce. All in all, enough liquid to cover. Cooked on low for 8 hours.

The meat fell off the bone. I even ate some of it.

Was it any good? Sometimes it tastes kind of gamey. I have soaked it in milk with good results.

yeah, it was kind of good, Alix. Venison lovers would probably have been estatic. The thing that impressed me was how tender it was - like a good pot roast. Unlike any other venison preparation I'd had before.

Venison roast is very good done in a crockpot and slowed cooked. I Liket o throw veggies in with it and some lipton onion soup mix and chicken broth or beef broth. We eat alot of venison and I like to try different ways to cook it. Will have to try the brining, sounds interesting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom