"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 10-02-2003, 12:04 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Slaon, yoou may be right regarding the cooking of buffalo, but tell me again, why bother? Beef is more readily available, more tender, and better flavored. I would just as soon let the buffalo roam.

Old 10-02-2003, 02:27 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Sloan WY Send a message via MSN to Sloan WY
"WHY BOTHER?"

O>C> - Bison is slightly sweeter than prime beef, it's much higher in nutrition, and lower in fat, calories & cholesterol than beef, pork, turkey, skinless chicken and some fish. It contributes 69% more iron to your diet than beef, with more vitamins, minerals and twice the beta-carotene as grain-fed meats. Buffalo DOES NOT have the dangerous E. Coli! It's a known cancer-fighter, cholesterol-lowerer, and builds muscle while keeping people healthy who enjoy red meat. It's also non-allergenic!

If you think it's not as tender as beef, it's being cooked wrong!
Quote:
"Once you've had Dom Perignon, you don't go back to Vichy Water" 8)

Old 10-02-2003, 03:46 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I shudder to say it, but I TOTALLY agree with oldcoot!
Then again, I'd rather have chicken...except for Chili and Chicken Fried Steak~ (yes, I know, I'm the Renegade Texan! I eat veggies and chicken , I'm NOT Baptist, and I HATED Ann Richards......But I DO have a couple of pairs of "cowboy boots' and plenty of jeans!!!! )
Old 10-02-2003, 03:54 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'm all for buffalo so I guess I'll have to hop the fence to Sloan's side! LOL Well, maybe not hop because I would probably hurt myself! I think it has a wonderful "clean" taste.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 04:12 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

My daughter's neighbors, across the road, have several buffalo in their HUGE pasture....I enjoyed sitting on the front porch, and just watching them..especially during our snow storms this past winter.......the stark whiteness and wilderness look of that field and pond, with those dark magnificent , majestic, powerful , and oddly beautiful animals was like something out of a movie. And for all their massive size and bulk, they move with such grace.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:01 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I am always amazed at the claims made for off-beat foods. They are invariably more nutritious, cancer-fighting, cholesterol prevening marvels. One would expect those who eat them to be pictures of health - but most of such folks I've met spend all too much time in doctors' offices and/or are allergic to darned near everything.

As for carotene, oddly enough, carrots are an excellent source. Ample mutritional iron is available from a wide variety of sources. Etc.

And I have yet to taste any red meat - un-marinated - that tasted "sweet" Nor do I want to.

So let those buffalo roam, right along with the playful deer and antelope.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:19 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

oldcoot, you've now opened the gates for a flood of deer and antelope recipes! LOL! :roll:
A good lean beef steak seasoned with fresh cracked pepper, and fresh garlic butter, grilled or broiled to just medium rare, then lightly sprinkled with salt, served with grilled mushrooms and tomatos , a tender garlic seasoned medium rare prime rib, with au jus, English style roast beef with yorkshire pudding and lots of brown gravy, or a good ( hard to find) Texas style chicken fried steak with lots of peppered cream gravy and Longhorn style potatoes are still my choice over any "wild" beast. :D
Old 10-28-2003, 12:03 AM   #18
Senior Cook

How true, how true! Except for that Yorkshire pudding - I have a little trouble with that.

And, while often claimed not to be a red meat, Pork - in darned near any form - is mighty tasty, too. (No, not wild boar!) Then there's that - exxcuse my drool - spring lamb.

Why, oh why, would anyone go to the trouble of hunting? (I've done my share of it, and it is usualy a lot of tramping around in the cold for nothing!. And I'll put my markmanship and outdoor skills up against most folks. ("Ol' Betsy" never misses - but I've rather rarely had a target.)

Then there's the hassle of dragging the game to where you can hang it and bleed it out, skin it, butcher it, and preserve the meat, etc, etc, etc!!

Tags
None