"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 09-13-2003, 11:39 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Buffaloed By Buffalo

The first time I tried buffalo, I was underwhelmed by its flavor. Looked a little like lean beef, but the flavor was - well - unitneresting.

A friend gave us some frozen ground buffalo, which BW prepared as a meat loaf last night. Again, we were underwhelmed.

Is this yet another example of my worn out palate, or do others find it similarly so-so?

Our dog loved it. Which caused me to speculate as to its poputlarity among some. Our friends who gave us the meat are of Mexican descent - hence have Native American ancestry. And "Indians" used to survive on buffalo meat, so no doubt found it tasty. Then the wolf ancestors of my dog also preyed upon buffalo to survive. Hence I have deterimened that a liking for the meat is a hereditary thing. Ya think? :)

Seriously, if any of you - Carnivore? - can suggest a more palable way of preparing the stuff, I'd appreciate it. (We've got several pounds of it, and we're too "Scotch" to simply discard it.)

Old 09-13-2003, 02:51 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hi oldcoot!!!

I have only had it prepared as a burger and I liked it. All I can suggest is maybe prepare it as a chili or some other flavorful dish where the flavor comes from all the ingredients added versus the meat itself.

I know you wanted recipes but all I would be able to do is copy and paste what I find on google - and I know that's probably what you do too. Sorry.

I don't think it is supposed to have an overwhelming flavor - just a little healthier. Right? :?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 08:13 PM   #3
Cook

I just recently found out you could even still get buffalo meat to eat! (Rhyme NOT intended there...). But I don't know, just doesn't appeal to me - think I'll stick to the good 'ol cow! :)
Old 09-15-2003, 11:24 PM   #4
Senior Cook

i like buffalo, but rarely buy it. I'm a huge fan of ribeye steaks, so this is the cut of buffalo i usually buy, and i find them to be good, but i know what you're saying on the blandness thing--you think of buffalo as kind of a 'specialty' item, so your tastebuds prepare you for something special, but there's really nothing that special about the meat. I would compare it to a cheap supermarket non-aged steak.
I was similarly dissapointed with some elk i bought recently. I'd only had elk one time before when a college roomate got some free elk steaks from a friend who hunted. He grilled them and i remember loving them. The girlfriend & I recently went to Colorado on vacation (including a couple days of camping) and i insisted on a) grilling everything from breakfast to supper and b) buying some elk to throw on the bbq. I was very dissapointed with the elk i bought--i found it too gamey (i've never like venison for this reason).
Of course, I blamed it on the altitude (we were camping at 10,000+ feet) and i will try elk again.
Sorry I can't give you a better insight on the buffalo.

Wine in a box is better than no wine at all.
carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:41 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Venison!!

Sime years ago I hunted and bagged a deer. BW, with no prior experience with game of any kind, prepared the absolutely most delicious stew I've ever tasted, bar none. The syeaks were excellent, too - not at all gamey, but with an unusual but good flavor. Sooooooooo.......

A year or so ago I saw venison advertised in a market. Bought a hunk at a kings ransom. It was so gawdawful bad I couldn't eat it. (Turned out it was imported from Australia - might have rally been kangaroo or koala for all its resemblance to my previous venison.

Moral: Be wary of game purchesed in a market!

Ranch raised buffalo doesn't quite qualify as game, I believe. But even so, as Carnivore found too, it is not the greatest flavor among meats.

P.S. After 8 years of hunting, I finally shot that one deer. And discovered I really don'tlike killing animals. Rifle's gathering dust and rust on the wall behind me.

Now politicians and lawyers - that's a diffeent situation.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:34 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

:roll:
I really just don't understand the "buffalo-elk-deer-bear" meat fascination at all! Or the shooting of animals for that matter! ( Politicians, lawyers, certain ex-husbands...that makes sense! ) I've tasted buffalo, elk, deer, and it all tastes like bad beef...and I'm NOT a big beef fan anyway. I DO understand wanting to go out camping in the wilds, with a bunch of buddies, having a few beers, etc....( I'm a Texas girl... after a few years on the skeet shooting range dear old Dad decided that since he didn't have sons, and #1 daughter was a crack shot at the age of 9, he'd take her deer hunting....well, I cried when he told me to take down a doe, BAMBI"S MOM?....sobbed when he said...then shoot the squirrel...WHAT? ROCKY ???? ..so Dad drank beer, and I shot the beer cans ) As for rattlesnake, and anything else people eat and say "But it tastes just like chicken" I say THEN EAT CHICKEN! Yes, I've tried rattlesnake...YUCK! If I'm ever stranded in the wilderness, then I'll do a filet of buffalo, medium rare, with wild mushroom sauce..till then.....TYSON chicken!
Old 09-16-2003, 09:19 PM   #7
Senior Cook

hi Norma,
ah, beer and firearms--they go together like frosting on the cake.
seriously, though--isn't not loving beef a crime in your state? You'd never catch me telling a Texan that beef is overated--i kind of enjoy staying alive.

Wine in a box is better than no wine at all.
carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 10:58 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:52 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

8) Hey, I'm a real renegade in my family! I don't use sugar in my iced tea, seldom eat fried foods , AND vote republican!
Old 10-02-2003, 12:55 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Sloan WY Send a message via MSN to Sloan WY
Badmouthing Buffalo

Oldcoot - Because it is higher in protein and much lower in cholesterol than beef, it must be prepared differently. People expect a "gamey" taste and usually marinate the hell out of it. Not necessary! If using whole cuts of meat, not ground, bring it to room temperature for 1 hour before cooking. The exception would be SMOKING, then right out of the reefer. Dry rub it with your favorite rub using plenty of salt & fresh ground black pepper. If a roast, sear it on a hot skillet or griddle on all exposed areas. If steaks, sear both sides on a hot skillet or griddle. After searing, cook it "low & slow" to a "rare - plus" stage as it is a very lean meat with little to no marbling and overcooking will toughen it. Like fish, it CAN BE eaten raw as it's raised under controlled conditions (pork is safe to eat rare too now).

Like people who want their Prime Rib cooked to "well", they don't want Prime Rib, they actually want a hamburger!

Tags
None