"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2017, 09:49 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Years ago there was a chef called just Donavan. He had a cooking show that made everything in the microwave. I do not ever recall him doing a steak. If fact he kind of ran out of dishes that could be made in his wonder machine. His show didn't last a full season.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:21 PM   #12
Master Chef

That would be because the majority of us like the flavor of seared steak! Ever heard of reverse sear? Especially on the grill. Microwaves are great for reheating or steaming, not ruining great cuts of meat.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:01 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
That would be because the majority of us like the flavor of seared steak! Ever heard of reverse sear? Especially on the grill. Microwaves are great for reheating or steaming, not ruining great cuts of meat.

Indeed. I can't imagine a microwaved steak. Mine must have a good sear, a bit of a crust.

Microwaves are good for lots of things, but cooking a steak is not one of them.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to work with a guy who would microwave either 2 burgers or a small steak every day for lunch. EVERY day, week in and week out.

Besides being really boring, the meat looked gross. It just turned sort of a grey color, all the way through.

I used to have a microwave "searing" plate, which was this thick plastic plate with an odd metal disc on top. It was supposed to heat up enough to sear what was put on it. I think I tried it once or twice with bad results. Overcooked, dry, tough meat with grey edges.

I think it eventually became a frisbee for a while.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I'm all in favor of a reverse sear on a grill. DS's birthday was celebrated last week-end with 2 - 2lb steaks (third one is in the freezer until tomorrow). First grilled, the interior was red/pink, and bloody and delicious. We ate the leftovers for days by cutting it in bite sized pieces and microwaving for one and one half minutes, JUST enough time to get it hot and still pink. That is about the only time I'd put a steak in the microwave. The convection may work, I haven't tried it.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:32 PM   #16
Head Chef

I'm getting into the Wayback machine for this. I had a friend who had the first consumer version of a Litton microwave (in 1971). That thing was like magic to us back then. We would stock his freezer with cheap hamburgers (a fast food joint called Sandy's had 10 cent hamburgers one day a week).

The burgers were slightly larger than a White Castle, and came with ketchup, mustard and chopped onion, same as a McDonald's hamburger of the era, although at that time, Great Falls Montana didn't have a Micky D's.

After Kenny bought that new gadget, we would by $5 worth of 10 cent burgers (that's 50 sammys) and everyone gathered at Kenny's 2 or 3 times a week for microwaved hamburgers. When the stock ran low, someone would be tasked with replenishing the freezer.

We also cooked some small antelope steaks in it and they were actually not that bad. The pork roast that he tried was less than impressive.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #17
Wine Guy

While I'm usually skeptical about these things, from what I understand a convection microwave can do a passable job of cooking a steak.

This Aussie guy seems pretty convinced, too.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:54 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I used to work with a guy who would microwave either 2 burgers or a small steak every day for lunch. EVERY day, week in and week out.

Besides being really boring, the meat looked gross. It just turned sort of a grey color, all the way through.

I used to have a microwave "searing" plate, which was this thick plastic plate with an odd metal disc on top. It was supposed to heat up enough to sear what was put on it. I think I tried it once or twice with bad results. Overcooked, dry, tough meat with grey edges.

I think it eventually became a frisbee for a while.
Ick, gross. At work we keep a propane grille inside the tool shed in the back of the facility. Sometimes when the weather is good on Fridays, we'll pull it out and throw some dogs, hamburgers, and chicken on it. Boss pays for it and sends his secretary out to fetch the fixings.

She gets buns, meat, a container of tater salad, macaroni salad, etc.. She even gets a pack of veggie burgers for the 4 people we have who are vegetarian. And Paul (parts manager) does the grilling. He's the grille master. We have a nice picnic table so we can eat outside if we want. On a nice little patch of grass.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #19
Master Chef

LOL at the 'searing plate frisbee', Bucky.

jd, your post made me smile - that's such a nice thing for your boss to do. It helps employee morale and gives everyone a chance to interact over something not necessarily work related. Food works wonders!

Back to the microwaving steaks - I would never do that, I'm sure I would ruin a perfectly good (and expensive) cut of meat. Once in a while I'll barely warm a cold leftover steak in the microwave just to take the chill off, but usually I just let it set out for a bit and come to room temp.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #20
Head Chef

I don't understand why you would want to!

Tags
None