"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinmaryland View Post
My friend Dav wants to know if he can cook a steak in his microwave/convention oven. Despite the efforts of friends to convince him otherwise he wants to try this. Here is the gist of his question and he can join in later if he joins our site:

"It's a microwave/convection oven, and it came with inserts for browning, grilling, steaming, and (probably) bum fondling. I want to try using it to grill steak. So far, I haven't found any good directions for doing this with a convection oven. While I accept that this may be evidence that it's a bad idea, I intend to persevere with the experiment. Does anyone know of a good web site for posting cooking questions? And does anyone have a suggestion for a good cut of steak to try? I'm thinking in terms of a ribeye, since I've had good luck with those in the past, but I'd like something leaner. I'd also like something that isn't too expensive, in case this turns into a disaster."

Please help Dav. or try to talk him out of this madness.
I suppose you can, but why would you want to? Much better grilled/broiled.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Was trying to get a real opinion on the performance of CONVECTION cooking a steak, NOT microwaving a steak. Come-on folks, convection does not equal microwave!

There are these things called CONVECTION microwaves that cook using SUPERHEATED AIR essentially air-frying the steak. This is NOT using the magneto such as for cooking your popcorn. Can we get a real opinion from someone that knows what they are talking about?

Old 10-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy369 View Post
Was trying to get a real opinion on the performance of CONVECTION cooking a steak, NOT microwaving a steak. Come-on folks, convection does not equal microwave!

There are these things called CONVECTION microwaves that cook using SUPERHEATED AIR essentially air-frying the steak. This is NOT using the magneto such as for cooking your popcorn. Can we get a real opinion from someone that knows what they are talking about?
C'mon Chevy, we've all been well aware that convection does not equal microwave long before you stormed in.

Still, cooking a steak in a convection oven, whether or not it was also a microwave, would not provide enjoyable results. No one cooks steak in an oven. The temperatures necessary to produce desirable results aren't possible in the oven. That's why we grill over charcoal or gas grills or in screaming hot skillets.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Maybe you know, and thats cool, but over half the comments came from individuals whom did not know the difference and still nobody has provided anything except for an opinion while never trying it.

You have never cooked a steak in an oven? thats too bad because an oven is the best way to cook a filet on top of a cast iron pan smothered in butter, followed up by a reverse sear. I use briquettes to cook killer steaks in my bbq for myself and family but who wants to set up a chimney and bbq for sometimes just myself? not me, at least not every time :P No propane bbq to be found at my house.

It would likely require a nice followup sear, but i can imaging it would be even better than people who are using sous vide to cook their steak under water. Likely nothing would ever beat an open flame and direct heat to cook hot and fast, but im looking for a new microwave and a convection is looking pretty tempting. Thank you for your replies :)
Old 10-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...best way to cook a filet on top of a cast iron pan smothered in butter, followed up by a reverse sear...
The sear is what makes it great, not the oven. The OP never mentioned that as it's simply not available in a convection oven.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Chevy.

I always try to welcome new members here but in this case, I'm wondering about your intentions with these insulting comments on this very old thread.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

Lol the "thank you for your replies" didnt help? I fail to see the insults in my comments above although I can understand the sensitivity of some individuals so i apologize for any mis-intentional offensive language. I may come across honest and brash but im not here to cause trouble.

I searched google for uses of convection microwaves and found this topic. Not many people talk about it but I thought this forum would provide some good information. Cooking is a passion of mine and i figured it would be with individuals here as well.

I'm a moderator in a few other forums so I can understand "walking the line" as far as being welcome or not since i deal with it so much. Regardless, im new here so i can certainly understand your concern :) I can turn down the enthusiasm a bit since it apparently rubbed ppl the wrong way. I'm looking for facts and educated opinions, not arguments.

Andy- your are exactly right, convection cooking a steak and then searing it is exactly what i am asking about.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:13 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

Obviously not.

The OP's friend had a microwave/convection oven, our responses were to the OP. Sorry our discussion does not meet your expectations. How about you post your own question and then we can talk about what you are seeking.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Usually i would prefer to revisit a topic which basically already talked about what i'm looking for but I can do that including the pan sear part.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Maybe you know, and thats cool, but over half the comments came from individuals whom did not know the difference and still nobody has provided anything except for an opinion while never trying it.

You have never cooked a steak in an oven? thats too bad because an oven is the best way to cook a filet on top of a cast iron pan smothered in butter, followed up by a reverse sear. I use briquettes to cook killer steaks in my bbq for myself and family but who wants to set up a chimney and bbq for sometimes just myself? not me, at least not every time :P No propane bbq to be found at my house.

It would likely require a nice followup sear, but i can imaging it would be even better than people who are using sous vide to cook their steak under water. Likely nothing would ever beat an open flame and direct heat to cook hot and fast, but im looking for a new microwave and a convection is looking pretty tempting. Thank you for your replies :)
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! Your critical of others giving an opinion, but then turn right around and give your own! BTW, you might want to brush up on the reverse sear technique as what you posted isn't correct. You can't cook a steak first and then use a reverse sear. Reverse sear is cooking with low heat (250F) to a desired internal temp and then letting it rest while cranking up the heat. Then searing it over that high heat to get that great crust. I'm sure it can be done in a convection oven (not microwave combo), but why waste a great cut of beef that way? I'm fortunate enough to have a BGE that can do the job to completion. I can cook it at 250F, low and slow and then crank it up to 650F for the sear. The Egg can also achieve higher temps if desired.

Regarding your opinion about firing up the grill, etc.. for one person, I paid enough for that fillet or 3" thick rib-eye that hell yes I'm gonna cook it the way I like it best!

I'm there with you about gas! I only use it for steaming crabs, boiling crawfish or getting a CI pan white hot for blackening.

Tags
None