Ah--no. The quarter and the garlic will NOT tell you if mushrooms are good or not. That is an old wives tale. (It used to be said that silver would turn black in the presence of poison--it ain't so, and besides that, modern quarters don't have much silver.)
And those recipes do indeed sound like food poisoning at best.
Sorry--I don't like to jump a new person, but if you have lived thru eating those things, you are just plain lucky.
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.