Canned Italian Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taracat

Assistant Cook
A friend, now gone once gave me a taste of his Italian sausage put up in olive oil in a jar. It was scrumpsious, and I think about it often.

I've not been able to find a recipe for this. Is anyone familiar with this? I'd be eternally grateful for a recipe or any thoughts on the subject.

Thanks,

Taracat

Were these canned by "someone" or were they bought commercially? They sound devine! I wish I could help too.

i have never heard of italian sausages stored in jars of olive oil, but i'll keep an eye out and ask around at my local italiano shops. :chef:

I’ve never heard of this, but after some checking, I found that it is something that is made and sold.

This website says:

Sausage In Oil—Is sausage, in either frankfurt, bologna or smoked sausage style, put up in white cottonseed oil, in tin containers. It is used extensively in the South, and when container is opened the sausage should always be covered with oil.

Used in the South?? South of what? I’m in the South (US) and I’ve not heard of this. From what I can tell through my searches, the sausage is dried first, and then packed in oil. The oil helps preserve the sausage, and the oil also picks up the flavor of the sausage and is good for cooking.

I’ve no idea how to make it. It could be as simple as drying the sausage and then packing it in oil.....but I’m not a canner so I don’t know. But I do know that some things packed in oil can go through an anaerobic process that produces botulism. So be careful!

Here is a site selling it.

Another one here.

Yet another one.

And one more.

Sounds delicious on the one hand, but on the other hand sounds like a Botulism festival just waiting to happen to someone trying to can this at home.

I remember, years ago, seeing sausages in jars on the bar at the local Italian club, next to the pickled eggs. I don't think they were homemade, though.

sausage in olive oil

Thanks to all who posted.........expecially Keltin. It's been at least 30 years since I had it, but should have realized it would be dried.

I would not try making it without a proper recipe, and will check the Italian markets in my area for it.

I know my friends family had an olive oil processing plant on an Island somewhere off the foot of Italy, but I was young and not so much into food as now and failed to ask questions. The family is all gone now. This is only one of the questions I wish I'd been wise enough to ask the "old fogies" years ago. {Ican say "old fogies" now because I am one!!!!!!!!!!!!!}

Thanks again.

Taracat

Thanks keltin! Who knew! taracat - I hope you can find them and when you do come back and tell us how good they were!!!!

to your rescue

As an Italian American I did pay attention to my grandfather when he was doing this. He was born in Italy but then came to the USA.

and your answer is:

easier than you thought.......
I suggest going to a sausage shop in your area and buying the best they have which is still rather cheap. Feel free to print my post and bring it with you to the sausage shop and they will verify this method I have posted. If they dont, then it isnt an Italian sausage shop.

simply buy the italian sausage whether it be sweet or hot and whether it be in links or whole..(whole is easier to work with.)
Hang the sausages in a cool dark place such as your cellar using a string.(use something like an ice pick to make the hole for the string to pass through.)

DO NOT TRY TO CURE FRESH SAUSAGE IN A TEMPERATURE CONTROLLED AREA IN YOUR HOME. THIS WILL PUT YOUR HEALTH AT RISK BECAUSE THE SAUSAGE WILL GO BAD ON YOU.

let sausage cure for 3 weeks in your CELLAR or any other room such as a wine cellar also which is not subject to heat in the winter or air conditioning in the summer.
You will know when the sausage is cured because the outside will become some what hard. If it is still soft then let it hang for an extra week.The cured sausage will have a beautiful aroma to it.

after 3 weeks presuming you are using the whole sausage.
remove from strings and bring to a cutting board.
cut the sausage lenghts in the size you prefer. (I prefer cutting them them to the height about 1/2 inch lower than the height of the mason preserving jars.

after cutting the sausage... get your glass mason preserving jars and put them in stove top boiled water with the lids and covers also...DO NOT BOIL THE RUBBER SEALING RINGS,...

after about 10 minutes remove the jars and lids and covers from the boiling water carefully preferrably using tongs because these will be very hot.
put the jars face down on several layers of paper towels so the drain and wipe the covers and the lids.

to each jar, add 1 whole clove of fresh garlic and a half teaspoon of salt..
place your sausage in each jar but dont force them in as you want some space left so the oil can get through to the sausage.

Next use a high grade vegatble oil or peanut oil (do not use olive oil as it gels and will look like crap once refridgerated.
completely cover the sausage with the oil leaving about 1/2 inch of space on the top. It is important not to leave any sausage uncovered with oil.
place the rubber seal gasket inside the covers and put the lids on the jars and then the covers.
Hand tighten until some what tight but not tightened all the way.
after about 6 hours tighten the lids more and turn the jars upside down for 2 hours...
then simply remove the covers and if more oil is needed fill the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top and now seal as tightly as you can.
the sausage can now be stored in a dark food closet such as where you keep your canned goods for up to 6 months.
Once you open a jar then it MUST be refridgerated.
Enjoy what you made ...... the rule of thumb here is that if after several months , if the garlic turns black then do not eat them. It will be very sad but you have to throw them away.
This has never happened to me in the 10 years I have been doing it however and I just made 12 jars which I am already enjoying and will also be giving a few jars away to friends.

The above instruction due to the lenght seem difficult but really these are simple to make.

you can preserve wild mushrooms the same way as well as hot italian stuffed cherry peppers stuffed with fresh sliced Prosuitto and a good provole cheese..
Only difference on the mushrooms is that you need to boil them first and preserve with either a pickling solution or 2/3 distilled white vinegar and 1/3 filtered or botteled water.
When boiling the mushrooms use the old italian rule of thimb with 1 addition. in the pot of boiling water put a whole clove of fresh garlic and a quarter. If either the garlic or the silver turns black during boiling, the mushrooms you picked are not good to eat.. just throw them out...
market bought mushrooms like Shitake, Oyster and Portabella mushrooms are fine however because in the USA they are organicly grown.
boil the mushrooms until they begin to soften and do not over boil them because you will end up with mush.

enjoy.

Ah--no. The quarter and the garlic will NOT tell you if mushrooms are good or not. That is an old wives tale. (It used to be said that silver would turn black in the presence of poison--it ain't so, and besides that, modern quarters don't have much silver.)

And those recipes do indeed sound like food poisoning at best.

Sorry--I don't like to jump a new person, but if you have lived thru eating those things, you are just plain lucky.

If you pick up sausages from a shop, do you verify they have a cure in them? Most fresh sausage recipes don't.

Sausage in oil

My grandpa packed his Italian sausage in a crock with olive oil for 14 days then hung it in the cool basment to dry that might be the sausage it oil that you are talking about :pig:

Back
Top Bottom