"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 12-03-2004, 03:20 PM   #11
Everymom

I do a Bourguinon thingy with chunks of meat. I toss the chunks in some flour, then brown them. Pour in some beef stock and some red wine...and depending on the wine I toss in some brown sugar too. Oh and I do some onion and mushrooms with the meat too. Then I let it simmer and thicken up a bit and serve over noodles. Sorry that is not more specific. I think you will get the general idea though.

Old 12-03-2004, 03:26 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

mmm, alix, your bourgignon thingy sounds good. i do that with a whole chicken cut up, like a cog au vin thingy.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:28 PM   #13
Everymom

Mmmmmmmmm. Would it work with just chicken breast do you think? I have some out thawing...wait...don't think I have any white wine though. Phooey!
Old 12-03-2004, 03:35 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

i use chicken breasts, on the bone, with the skin, and red wine. you sear/brown the chicken really well in butter and evoo, then some onions and garlic, set both aside, de-glaze with red wine, put everything back in the pan, toss in some chopped leeks or bok choy, baby carrots, celery, whatever veggies are around, add a good handful of fresh thyme, cover and simmer until the chicken falls off the bone. strain out the veggies and plate with the chicken. reduce the sauce with some butter, thicken with cornstarch, and pour over the whole she-bang...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:36 PM   #15
Everymom

YUM. I am doing it. OK, what a nob I am, I always used white wine, I bet red is much better. Thanks buckytom.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:23 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
Quote:
Originally Posted by chez suz
Sizz...I use chuck roast cut up for my beef stews....if you want to use it whole...I would brown it really well...remove from pan...add lots of chopped onion, carrot, celery, fennel, garlic (any flavors you like)...for another base of flavor...I would mix in some tomato paste (this will give your dish a heartyness)...now for liquid....beef stock or red wine..I would put in a small amount to braise the meat not stew it...put in a low oven and cook until fork tender...remove fat from gravey...cut into slices...and serve. Its hard to mess up..use what I suggested as a base and let your imagination be your guide.
Keep in mind the meat also makes great stews.
You've been into my recipes haven't you chez suz!
You caught me red handed Chocolate...actually I won my honeys heart making stew..its one of my favorite cooking styles.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:49 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

I use chuck for beef bourgignon, chili, pot roast, and stew.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:16 AM   #18
Master Chef

Thanks everyone.....great ideas.

Tags
None