"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 03-31-2004, 09:29 PM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Chuck the Roast... OR Roast the Chuck??

I bought about 4 Chuck Roasts.... each about 2.5 - 3 lbs.
I bought them because they are cheap... and have a lot of marble-ization in the meat. I know the more marblized the more fat.. the more tastey!

But whats the best way to cook em? THe oven? In a big pot? How long should they be cooked in the oven or the pot?
Also... I saw a recipe that included vinegar in the pot!!
Whats up with THAT??? :?

Have any good recipes for this? Also, to save on energy... I prefer using the range to cook it on. Unless your opinion is to cook it in the oven.

THANKS!

Old 03-31-2004, 09:45 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Chuck roasts are capital T tough. Long slow moist cooking. Pot roasting. A dutch oven is nice because you can brown them and stew them in the same pot but a good heavy fry pan and a stock pot work well too. A crock pot also works well. Pressure cookers also do well with tough cuts.

Brown the meat on all sides
Add mire poix (onions, carrot, celery), parsley
Simmer until tender (minimum 3 hours).

Some people brown the mire poix, some add the mire poix towards the end of cooking. I often do pot roast with only onions.

Vinegar? To each his own :)

Old 04-01-2004, 06:37 AM   #3
Senior Cook

The recipe with vinegar was probably Sauerbraten, which is a german dish that is awesomely tasty. particularly when served with Hot German Potato Salad.
One other note on chuck. Due to the way beef is produced today, about the only cut left with any flavor at all is the chuck. Now...though this is traditionally a tougher cut of meat you CAN grill it. Just make sur it is rare and slice across the grain to shorten the tissue length. No, it will never be as tender as a ribeye...but it will taste better.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:28 AM   #4
Master Chef

Hey guys... I tried what you said and it turned out REALLLLLY great! I had compliments from it... and I own it all to you! 8)
I didnt put onion in though.... I put in cilantro instead. Though I love onions.... I just... well oddly enough I dont know WHY I changed it. I guess I was trying to be a exotic chef. LOL!!!
Old 04-03-2004, 02:28 PM   #5
DC Grandma

Beef, Pork, Lamb...

I remember my Dad soaking a Chuck Roast in vinigar when I was growing up..he said it tenderized the meat.
Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 06:09 PM   #6
Master Chef

Well I did put apple cider vinegar in, and let me tell you.... I really enjoyed the flavor!! In fact (dont make fun of me) I put some in my chili last night while browning the ground beef. My 2 friends LOVED it! :D ANd I must say that I enjoyed it alot too. Dove.... I think youre right with the tenderizer part. And its a nice flavor. Im sold.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:24 AM   #7
DC Grandma

Chuck the Roast... OR Roast the Chuck??

I'm glad you liked it..I don't remember if he rinsed the meat or not.Or if it was deluted with water. We are going back to the late "40's" Now I am dateing myself...
Dove :oops:

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:41 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Hey! I hope I'm not stepping on any toes posting a whole recipe, but, it's a chuck roast recipe, and well, I just love to share it. It's fork tender and delicious, and makes fantastic leftovers.

Spicy Garlic Braised Chuck

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 6 hours 30 minutes
Difficulty: Idiotproof

Hardware:
Electric slow cooker of at least 3 quarts capacity
Spring-loaded tongs
Source of electricity for aforementioned slow cooker
Pepper grinder

Software:
2 to 4 pounds of beef chuck roast
3 cups dry red wine (personally, I use a very cheap, downright undrinkable Cabernet Savignon)
6 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 teaspoons kosher salt

Apply dry ingredients evenly to both sides of roast. Suggested order would be salt, black pepper, garlic, paprika, then red pepper.

Pour three cups of wine into cooker, then place roast in, set to "LOW", and cover. Let cook for 3 hours, then switch to "HIGH". Wait 1 hour, then flip roast, and re-cover. Allow to cook for another 2.5 hours. Watch to make sure that liquid in cooker comes to very slow, gentle boil. If no occurs with 1 hour remaining in cooking time, search for other electrical outlets which may provide slightly higher voltage. After 6 and a half hours total cooking time, switch off cooker, unplug, and remove the roast to a plate using tongs. It should be ready to fall apart by now. Cut into individual portions and serve, or eat as-is if you're only cooking for yourself. Optionally, you may transfer liquid to a large saucepan and reduce it into a sauce.

(copyright 2004 Lee M. Janotta, so pass it around, but don't steal! You steal it, and I'll hunt you down and make you watch every culinary atrocity Emeril has ever put on film or tape!)
Old 04-05-2004, 01:22 AM   #9
Master Chef

Thanks LMJ! I went shopping tonight.... I dont know WHAT happened, but the price for chuck roast went to $3.99 a pound! So... Im going to try a different place. :(
Old 04-05-2004, 01:27 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Owch!

Yeah, over $2.69 is getting a bit questionable, and that's highway robbery for chuck. Good luck!

Tags
None