"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 264
Cocktail meatballs

1 pound ground beef (I use chuck), 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, 1/3 cup finely chopped onion, 1/4 cup milk, 1 Tablespoon parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, 1 egg.1 bottle (12 oz) chili sauce, 1 jar grape jelly. Mix all ingredients except chili sauce and jelly. Shape into 1-inch balls. Cook on parchment covered baking sheet at 325* for 10-12 min. Heat chili sauce and jelly in large pot or use a slow cooker. Add meat balls. Stir until coated. Simmer on low for 30 min. Serve hot. (I always like to precook the meatballs before adding to pot). They will not be overdone.

__________________

__________________
LAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Senior Cook
 
BigAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: W.KS
Posts: 417
Your late! The super bowl is over and K-State already spanked KU. What is wrong with you?!

Sounds good, LAJ, saved it. we need a "thumbs up" smiley or just a thumbs up.

How about some pix, too!
__________________

__________________
BigAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 264
Thanks, BigAl. I am not big on ground beef with sauce on it but these are good. Especially in a crockpot or chafing dish for get togethers. Hey. theres always the Stanley Cup..
__________________
LAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
I'm thinking spaghetti and meatballs.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Thanks, BigAl. I am not big on ground beef with sauce on it but these are good. Especially in a crockpot or chafing dish for get togethers. Hey. theres always the Stanley Cup..
May need a lot of meatballs...not just one game like football!
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
Your late! The super bowl is over and K-State already spanked KU. What is wrong with you?!

Sounds good, LAJ, saved it. we need a "thumbs up" smiley or just a thumbs up.

How about some pix, too!
We have a thumbs up to a post, but apparently no thumbs up smiley.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
could be used. I especially like the middle one.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 264
GO Wings!
Hope you all try the meatballs.
__________________
LAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,112
Laj,
I've made these before--they are always so good.
I've also used the sauce recipe and put baked/fried chicken wings and legs in the slow cooker, it's good with chicken too.
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,764
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
1 pound ground beef (I use chuck), 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, 1/3 cup finely chopped onion, 1/4 cup milk, 1 Tablespoon parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, 1 egg.1 bottle (12 oz) chili sauce, 1 jar grape jelly. Mix all ingredients except chili sauce and jelly. Shape into 1-inch balls. Cook on parchment covered baking sheet at 325* for 10-12 min. Heat chili sauce and jelly in large pot or use a slow cooker. Add meat balls. Stir until coated. Simmer on low for 30 min. Serve hot. (I always like to precook the meatballs before adding to pot). They will not be overdone.
My mom started making that sauce for meatballs waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the early 50's. So easy. and still so good. Only problem now is finding quality bottled products that aren't half HFCS!

There were no "slow cookers" back then, but they were kept hot during service in an attractive chafing dish. (Mom had a copper one that guess who got to keep polished? )
__________________

__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe

Cocktail meatballs 1 pound ground beef (I use chuck), 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, 1/3 cup finely chopped onion, 1/4 cup milk, 1 Tablespoon parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, 1 egg.1 bottle (12 oz) chili sauce, 1 jar grape jelly. Mix all ingredients except chili sauce and jelly. Shape into 1-inch balls. Cook on parchment covered baking sheet at 325* for 10-12 min. Heat chili sauce and jelly in large pot or use a slow cooker. Add meat balls. Stir until coated. Simmer on low for 30 min. Serve hot. (I always like to precook the meatballs before adding to pot). They will not be overdone.:chef: 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.