Cooking A Roast. Preferably Small.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a Wagner Ware Dutch oven that my parents got for a wedding present that still makes the best post roast I've ever tasted.
Kim bought me a covered MagnaLite oval roaster that must be a reproduction, because the handles are an exact copy. Both have trivits to place in the bottom.
I also have 3 sizes of the old fashioned black & white speckled enameled roasters, and they still can't be beaten for certain items.
And, I have a rectangular stainless steel lasagna pan/roaster with rack, that's about 6 " deep. Got a real bargain on that, for under $50.

I can't tell you which is my favorite, as each has it's own use. But they are all wonderful pans.

Back to the original question, Leg...here's how to make the best potroast... which I believe is what your are looking for...

GRANDMA SNARR’S POT ROAST

Chuck roast
Canola oil (Grandma used Crisco and maybe a little bacon grease)
Flour
Salt & pepper
Water
Carrots
Russet potatoes
Celery (opt)
Onion (opt)

There are no amounts given on the ingredients, as that is up to you.
The most important part of this recipe is searing the meat. It must be done at a high temperature, and, as grandma said, you have to “burn the meat”. You know it’s right when the smoke detector goes off.

Salt and pepper the meat. Season the flour (about 1 ½ cups), and dredge the meat in it.
Heat heavy Dutch oven on high heat, add enough oil to cover bottom of skillet, and add meat. Lower the heat just a tiny bit, then let meat brown, uncovered, without turning until it’s very dark brown, like a chocolate roux. Turn meat and let it brown on the other side.
Add about 2 cups off water, turn heat down to med/low, and place meat on trivet if you have one. Cover and let cook until meat is tender, but not falling apart. Lift up meat and put vegetables on the bottom, then re-cover and let simmer until they are tender.
Remove meat from pot, place on platter and keep warm. Spoon out vegetables, and put in a separate serving bowl. Remove trivet. Estimate how much liquid you have in the pan, and make a slurry out of one tablespoon of flour and one tablespoon of water for each cup of drippings. Whisk into liquid in pan, turn heat up to medium high, and cook until thickened. Adjust seasoning, and pour into gravy boat.

thanks so much for all the replies.

Fryboy - Instead of cooking the roast at 350, can i do it at 250 for longer? i want it to be very tender.

Last edited:
Another great way to cook a roast, be it a chuck, shoulder, or rump roast, is by starting it in a hot oven, say 450, for 15 minutes, then turning the oven down to 275, adding about a cup of water to the pot, with copped onion and garlic, then cover and braise for abot three hours. Or you could brown this in a hot cast iron fry pan and put in a slow cooker for several hours, like before you go to work. Then, when you get home, remove the roast from the pot and shred it with a fork. Add cilantro and peppers and you have shredded beef for use with many Tex/Mex dishes. Or take that shredded beef and thicken the juices with a roux to make a wonderful gravy for rice or mashed potatoes. You can even add barbecue sauce to the shredded beef if you like and serve it on burger buns.

The shredded beef can be used for so many different dishes, limited only by your imagination. You can use it for meat pies, for pasties (I know, not traditional), for beef and gravy, mix with mushrooms, etc.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed, how about searing it on top of the stove, in a dutch oven, searing all sides on high, then covering the dutch oven, and putting it in the oven @ 250 for a few hours. Would that work?

Cheers

MLB:

That is exactly what should be done to start a pot roast! After searing, add some onion, carrot and celery chopped up. Some garlic and ground pepper will help flavor it. For seasonings, use your favoritges-thyme works well with beef.

Then add a liquid to half sumberge the meat. Use broth, wine or a combination.

Place it in the oven, covered, andcook at 250-275 F. This low temp will give you the rich flavors and falling apart texture you want. For a small roast, you need as little as two hours. Check the internal temperature at that time. It should be around 200-210F. That will ensure the meat will be falling apart.

Meanwhile the veggies, seasonings and broth/wine have created a delicious gravy for you. Remove and cover the meat to let it rest. If you want, reduce the gravy to concentrate the flavors. Season with S&P after reducing.

Here's a recipe for what you say you want--shred, etc.
If you have a crockpot it is dead easy. Easy to do in a pot also

Get a chuck roast. Put a good layer of onions in the bottom of your pot. Put the roast on top. Pour over a bottle of beer and a half bottle of BBQ sauce. Cook on low in crockpot for 8 hours. Or in the oven at 275* for 6 hours. Shred. Concentrate the sauce by boiling down.

I suggested the slow cooker because I have a gas oven with a thermal-glow-strip igniter. What Andy said is absolutely perfect. But the problem I have with my oven is that the igniter remains energized throughout the cooking time, and extended hours of cooking will make increase the frequency with which I have to replace the igniter, and at around $40 a pop, I don't want to have to do it every two years. So I use a pressure cooker (which will also produce that fall-apart texture and flavor you're looking for in about 30 minutes for your size chunk of meat), or the slow cooker. That way, I save my oven for things that require the oven. If there is an alternate means of achieving what I want, I use it.

If you have a covered kettle barbecue, then you can add 8 to 10 charcoal briquettes, and ignite them on one side of the grill. when hot, cover with your favorite smoking wood, place the roast over the unlit side of the grill, cover, and let cook with vents fully open, to an internal temp of about 220' F. Oh, and place a drip pan filled with 1 cup water to keep the cooking environment moist. You will get that same great texture, but with the smokey flavor addition.

Just things to think about, new ideas for you. More ideas add greater variety to your meals. And that's a good thing.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Gretchen said:
Here's a recipe for what you say you want--shred, etc.
If you have a crockpot it is dead easy. Easy to do in a pot also

Get a chuck roast. Put a good layer of onions in the bottom of your pot. Put the roast on top. Pour over a bottle of beer and a half bottle of BBQ sauce. Cook on low in crockpot for 8 hours. Or in the oven at 275* for 6 hours. Shred. Concentrate the sauce by boiling down.

OMG this is the best thing ive ever heard....

This is the one i want to do....But i want to sear the meat, then rub it with garlic, salt, and pepper, and then throw it in the oven....

1.) is a crockpot like a dutch oven? can i do this with a dutch oven instead?

2.) do i mix up the beer and BBQ well, and just pour it in the bottom of the pot? or do I pour it over the roast?

3.) can i just sear the steak on stove, then remove from heat..let cool a bit, then throw down the layer of onions, and pop it in the oven?

4.) Will i keep the lid of the dutch oven on during this process? Will this incorporate the flavor of the beer and the BBQ sauce into the roast?

5.) For Andy, hey mate, can i use your method, but just substitute BBQ sauce and beer for the wine & broth?

Thanks for being patient with me.

I am really excited about cooking this roast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Last edited:
Crockpot is an electric appliance. I would guess you don't have one. ;O)
Leave it covered. You don't even have to sear the meat. Just pour it all in and stir if you want to.

Another.

Rump roast or chuck roast. 1 jar of mixed Italian peppers--hot and sweet. Put in tightly covered Dutch oven or baking casserole and bake for 5 hours at 250*. Shred meat. Serve on a hoagie roll topped with cheese and melted in the oven.

You can use any liquids in my method. BBQ sauce and beer will work.

A dutch oven and a crock pot is electric and stays on the counter while the dutch oven goes in the oven.

You can do this recipe in either a crock pot or in a dutch oven.

Mix the liquids then add to the pot. Doesn't matter if you pour it ofver the meat or not.

The dutch oven must be covered throughout the process to keep the liquids from evaporating and drying out the meat.

For Q #3, you need a little liquid along with the onions and steak.

Andy M. said:
For Q #3, you need a little liquid along with the onions and steak.

thanks mate, i guess that question was poorly worded, i meant is it okay to throw the onions in when the pan is still scorching hot from the sear, or should i let the pan cool after i sear the meat, then add the onions, in case the onions burn and taste funky...

Thanks for the advice. Im gonna go buy a crockpot tommorow.

A crock pot is just an electric stewpot -- it's like cooking on top of the stove in a large covered pot, only it's electric and sits on the counter. Personally, I don't care for them, but many people like them.

Their main advantage is that you can throw your stew ingredients in it in the morning, turn it on, and have your dinner ready when you come home from work, assuming you're comfortable leaving it on all day unattended. I've had stuff burn badly in crock pots -- problem probably was the recipe, not the crock pot.

Also, you can't really brown a roast in a crock pot, and that's essential for good flavor, IMHO.

As for cooking at 250, that should be OK, but I think you'll find that a little higher temperature (300 to 325) for a shorter time will give you the same results. The main thing is to be sure the meat is thoroughly cooked.

Last edited:
Mylegsbig said:
thanks mate, i guess that question was poorly worded, i meant is it okay to throw the onions in when the pan is still scorching hot from the sear, or should i let the pan cool after i sear the meat, then add the onions, in case the onions burn and taste funky...

Thanks for the advice. Im gonna go buy a crockpot tommorow.

You need some fat for the onions to cook. If you take the meat out of the pan and add some fat (oil or butter) then toss in the onions, the pan will cool down pretty quick. You don't have to cook them for long if you are going to put them into a dutch oven or crockpot.

For me, the benefit of using a dutch oven over a crock pot is the ability to do the searing in the same utensil you use for the braising in the oven. That way it's easier to keep the fond in the recipe without deglazing the searing pan and adding the deglazed liquids to a crock pot. Also, you have one less pot to clean.

Andy it sounds like a dutch oven is the way to go.

I can't wait to try this out.

Does a chuck roast have to be trimmed?

Also, what areas of the chuck roast will i need to cut around when it's done cooking? does the fat kind of melt in it? I'm very meticulous about trimming fat. I trim pretty much every piece i see from my chicken, steak, and pork.

Basically i want to make a pot roast with the type of meat LEAST LIKELY to have chunks of gristle or fat that will give me a gross bite i will have to spit out.

Any suggestions on what piece of meat would suit my needs the best?

2lbs would be nice, but 3lbs-4lbs is no biggie. the meat can't be that expensive if it does happen to go to waste.

A chuck roast can contain several muscles tied together. there will be some gristle in between. A lot of the fat will cook out but will be part of the liquid in the pot. If that's a problem, you'll have to defat the liquid.

Also good are bottom round and eye round roasts. Less fat and gristle to deal with.

If you do any trimming, I'd wait to do it after cooking. The fat contributres to the flavor. Then you can trim it off so it doesn't get to your mouth.

Mylegsbig said:
Is it easy to spot andy?

Trimming off the fat should be easy. Yoou would have no problem see it as different from the meat. You have a nice sharp knife so it will be relatively easy to do.

Melted fat in the gravy will float to the top. You can skim that off too. Also, you can use a fat separator. It's a measuring cup looking thing with a spout that comes from the very bottom of the cup. You pour the liquid into the container and the fat rises to the top in a couple of minutes. Then you pour off the gravy under the fat.

all of that beef fat will drain into the BBQ sauce and beer and make for a delicious gravy right? Even if i skim it?

Also, with the BBQ and Beer method, would celery and carrots still go good or should i just use onions?

There can be a lot of fat in the gravy, depending on the cut of meat. Even if you remove the floating fat, there is still a lot of fat dissolved in the gravy to provide flavor.

You can go with all three veggies or just the onions.

Back
Top Bottom