"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 07-29-2006, 07:32 PM   #21
Master Chef

I have a Wagner Ware Dutch oven that my parents got for a wedding present that still makes the best post roast I've ever tasted.
Kim bought me a covered MagnaLite oval roaster that must be a reproduction, because the handles are an exact copy. Both have trivits to place in the bottom.
I also have 3 sizes of the old fashioned black & white speckled enameled roasters, and they still can't be beaten for certain items.
And, I have a rectangular stainless steel lasagna pan/roaster with rack, that's about 6 " deep. Got a real bargain on that, for under $50.

I can't tell you which is my favorite, as each has it's own use. But they are all wonderful pans.

Back to the original question, Leg...here's how to make the best potroast... which I believe is what your are looking for...

GRANDMA SNARR’S POT ROAST

Chuck roast
Canola oil (Grandma used Crisco and maybe a little bacon grease)
Flour
Salt & pepper
Water
Carrots
Russet potatoes
Celery (opt)
Onion (opt)

There are no amounts given on the ingredients, as that is up to you.
The most important part of this recipe is searing the meat. It must be done at a high temperature, and, as grandma said, you have to “burn the meat”. You know it’s right when the smoke detector goes off.

Salt and pepper the meat. Season the flour (about 1 ˝ cups), and dredge the meat in it.
Heat heavy Dutch oven on high heat, add enough oil to cover bottom of skillet, and add meat. Lower the heat just a tiny bit, then let meat brown, uncovered, without turning until it’s very dark brown, like a chocolate roux. Turn meat and let it brown on the other side.
Add about 2 cups off water, turn heat down to med/low, and place meat on trivet if you have one. Cover and let cook until meat is tender, but not falling apart. Lift up meat and put vegetables on the bottom, then re-cover and let simmer until they are tender.
Remove meat from pot, place on platter and keep warm. Spoon out vegetables, and put in a separate serving bowl. Remove trivet. Estimate how much liquid you have in the pan, and make a slurry out of one tablespoon of flour and one tablespoon of water for each cup of drippings. Whisk into liquid in pan, turn heat up to medium high, and cook until thickened. Adjust seasoning, and pour into gravy boat.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:22 AM   #22
Head Chef

thanks so much for all the replies.

Fryboy - Instead of cooking the roast at 350, can i do it at 250 for longer? i want it to be very tender.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:28 AM   #23
Head Chef

Constance that sounds awesome.. i have no idea what a trivet is however, does this look like a good dutch oven?

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=306725
Old 07-31-2006, 12:57 PM   #24
Master Chef

Another great way to cook a roast, be it a chuck, shoulder, or rump roast, is by starting it in a hot oven, say 450, for 15 minutes, then turning the oven down to 275, adding about a cup of water to the pot, with copped onion and garlic, then cover and braise for abot three hours. Or you could brown this in a hot cast iron fry pan and put in a slow cooker for several hours, like before you go to work. Then, when you get home, remove the roast from the pot and shred it with a fork. Add cilantro and peppers and you have shredded beef for use with many Tex/Mex dishes. Or take that shredded beef and thicken the juices with a roux to make a wonderful gravy for rice or mashed potatoes. You can even add barbecue sauce to the shredded beef if you like and serve it on burger buns.

The shredded beef can be used for so many different dishes, limited only by your imagination. You can use it for meat pies, for pasties (I know, not traditional), for beef and gravy, mix with mushrooms, etc.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:01 AM   #25
Head Chef

Goodweed, how about searing it on top of the stove, in a dutch oven, searing all sides on high, then covering the dutch oven, and putting it in the oven @ 250 for a few hours. Would that work?

Cheers
Old 08-01-2006, 09:33 AM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

MLB:

That is exactly what should be done to start a pot roast! After searing, add some onion, carrot and celery chopped up. Some garlic and ground pepper will help flavor it. For seasonings, use your favoritges-thyme works well with beef.

Then add a liquid to half sumberge the meat. Use broth, wine or a combination.

Place it in the oven, covered, andcook at 250-275 F. This low temp will give you the rich flavors and falling apart texture you want. For a small roast, you need as little as two hours. Check the internal temperature at that time. It should be around 200-210F. That will ensure the meat will be falling apart.

Meanwhile the veggies, seasonings and broth/wine have created a delicious gravy for you. Remove and cover the meat to let it rest. If you want, reduce the gravy to concentrate the flavors. Season with S&P after reducing.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:54 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

Here's a recipe for what you say you want--shred, etc.
If you have a crockpot it is dead easy. Easy to do in a pot also

Get a chuck roast. Put a good layer of onions in the bottom of your pot. Put the roast on top. Pour over a bottle of beer and a half bottle of BBQ sauce. Cook on low in crockpot for 8 hours. Or in the oven at 275* for 6 hours. Shred. Concentrate the sauce by boiling down.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:03 AM   #28
Master Chef

I suggested the slow cooker because I have a gas oven with a thermal-glow-strip igniter. What Andy said is absolutely perfect. But the problem I have with my oven is that the igniter remains energized throughout the cooking time, and extended hours of cooking will make increase the frequency with which I have to replace the igniter, and at around $40 a pop, I don't want to have to do it every two years. So I use a pressure cooker (which will also produce that fall-apart texture and flavor you're looking for in about 30 minutes for your size chunk of meat), or the slow cooker. That way, I save my oven for things that require the oven. If there is an alternate means of achieving what I want, I use it.

If you have a covered kettle barbecue, then you can add 8 to 10 charcoal briquettes, and ignite them on one side of the grill. when hot, cover with your favorite smoking wood, place the roast over the unlit side of the grill, cover, and let cook with vents fully open, to an internal temp of about 220' F. Oh, and place a drip pan filled with 1 cup water to keep the cooking environment moist. You will get that same great texture, but with the smokey flavor addition.

Just things to think about, new ideas for you. More ideas add greater variety to your meals. And that's a good thing.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:45 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
Here's a recipe for what you say you want--shred, etc.
If you have a crockpot it is dead easy. Easy to do in a pot also

Get a chuck roast. Put a good layer of onions in the bottom of your pot. Put the roast on top. Pour over a bottle of beer and a half bottle of BBQ sauce. Cook on low in crockpot for 8 hours. Or in the oven at 275* for 6 hours. Shred. Concentrate the sauce by boiling down.
OMG this is the best thing ive ever heard....

This is the one i want to do....But i want to sear the meat, then rub it with garlic, salt, and pepper, and then throw it in the oven....

1.) is a crockpot like a dutch oven? can i do this with a dutch oven instead?

2.) do i mix up the beer and BBQ well, and just pour it in the bottom of the pot? or do I pour it over the roast?

3.) can i just sear the steak on stove, then remove from heat..let cool a bit, then throw down the layer of onions, and pop it in the oven?

4.) Will i keep the lid of the dutch oven on during this process? Will this incorporate the flavor of the beer and the BBQ sauce into the roast?

5.) For Andy, hey mate, can i use your method, but just substitute BBQ sauce and beer for the wine & broth?

Thanks for being patient with me.

I am really excited about cooking this roast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Old 08-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Crockpot is an electric appliance. I would guess you don't have one. ;O)
Leave it covered. You don't even have to sear the meat. Just pour it all in and stir if you want to.

Another.

Rump roast or chuck roast. 1 jar of mixed Italian peppers--hot and sweet. Put in tightly covered Dutch oven or baking casserole and bake for 5 hours at 250*. Shred meat. Serve on a hoagie roll topped with cheese and melted in the oven.

Tags
None