Cooking A Roast. Preferably Small.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
varition~small chuck roast
I use 1 pack lipton onion soup mix
1 large can of cream of mushroom soup + 1 can water
cut up carots,potatoes,celery & onions
(may have to add alittle more water as well)
salt&pepper
cook covered tightly with foil in a 325 degree oven
for about 3-4 hours.

Mylegsbig said:
all of that beef fat will drain into the BBQ sauce and beer and make for a delicious gravy right? Even if i skim it?

Also, with the BBQ and Beer method, would celery and carrots still go good or should i just use onions?

For the BBQ, skim the fat off. Just too much. And I wouldn't add carrots and celery. Save those for the pot roast and not BBQ sauce.

Okay. I got the roast. I'm just gonna use carrots and onions.

This is a Chuck Roast, and it weighs exactly 3 lbs. Im gonna Sear it on all sides. Okay, after i am done searing this chuck roast, im going to set it aside. Then i will add some olive oil to the roast juices and sautee the onions for a bit.

After that step, i will put the roast on top of the bed of onions, and pour in a mixture of beer & barbecue sauce.

Finally - i will close the dutch oven and let the roast cook at 275 Degrees.

1.) How much beer, and how much BBQ sauce should i put in to the dutch oven to cook a 3lb Chuck Roast? The Dutch Oven is 8 1/2 quart. The beer is a rich dark high percentage alcohol beer.

2.) How long should i sear the roast on each side? is there a particular color i should watch for when searing?

3.) Should i sautee the onions and carrots along with some olive oil in the Roast Juices after i sear it, or should i just throw the onions and carrots in the pot and leave them alone?

4.) After searing the roast, i will also rub the roast down with cracked pepper, sea salt,garlic, and dried thyme. is this ok?

5.) How long, estimated, should a seared 3lb Chuck Roast take to cook @ 275 degrees in a sealed dutch oven,?

Thanks so much and wish me luck. starting this at lunch tommorow.

one more question..sorry.... if i mince the garlic and rub the roast down with them, the pieces wont burn will they?

i mean at 275, with all that moisture, will they become burnt and bitter?

if they will, can i just use garlic powder or something?

I gave you ALL the instructions. You don't have to sear--if you really want to, do it 3 minutes per side.
Put the onions in the bottom.
Put the roast in
Pour a 12oz. can of beer over and pour over 12oz. of BBQ sauce.
That is it. It doesn't have to be hard. Cook a 3# roast for 4 hours. It will be falling apart which is what you want. Make a great sandwich.

Gretchen, thank you, but im very meticulous.

BBQ sauce comes in different size bottles.

The roasts that i was looking at varied in weight from 2.5 lbs to about 4lbs.

there are too many variables.

i will not risk screwing up a 20 dollar piece of meat that took like 5 hours to cook.

Mylegsbig said:
1.) How much beer, and how much BBQ sauce should i put in to the dutch oven to cook a 3lb Chuck Roast? The Dutch Oven is 8 1/2 quart. The beer is a rich dark high percentage alcohol beer.

That's a rather large Dutch oven for that much beef. I'd use about 1 to 2 cups of the beer and about 1 cup of the BBQ sauce. It's not critical, but too much of either might overpower the gravy. Add enough water so that the liquid covers about 1/2 the beef. Check it as you cook, every 30 minutes or so, and add water if necessary.

Mylegsbig said:
2.) How long should i sear the roast on each side? is there a particular color i should watch for when searing?

About 5 minutes per side, about 15 to 20 total. The beef will be a very dark brown, but not black. The pot should be hot but not smoking while you do this. Brown uncovered, but you may want to use a spatter screen or partially cover the pot with the lid to lessen the grease spatter.

Mylegsbig said:
3.) Should i sautee the onions and carrots along with some olive oil in the Roast Juices after i sear it, or should i just throw the onions and carrots in the pot and leave them alone?

Sauté the unions and carrots slowly (medium-low heat) until they are softened and a little browned -- that will caramelize them, which gives them a better flavor.

Mylegsbig said:
4.) After searing the roast, i will also rub the roast down with cracked pepper, sea salt,garlic, and dried thyme. is this ok?

Rub it with salt and pepper BEFORE browning the roast. It would be a waste of time (and messy) to do after browning -- just stir the thyme and some more salt & pepper into the liquid in the pot, and spoon some over the top of the meat and veggies. Sauté the garlic for the last a few minutes with the onions and carrots.

Mylegsbig said:
5.) How long, estimated, should a seared 3lb Chuck Roast take to cook @ 275 degrees in a sealed dutch oven,?

I think you want it very well done, falling apart done. So I'd guess 3 to 4 hours would be plenty, again checking the liquid every 30 minutes or so. Also, turn the meat over now and then, carefully as it gets more cooked.

Last edited:
awesome. thanks fry!

What would be the best way to cut these onions and carrots up?

can i cut the onion into wedges? Im limited in my skills to cut onions differently. wedges and diced is all i know.

Also, ive never sauteed carrots.

again,this may seem silly, but im meticulous, and thanks for being patient

Also, let's say i check the beef and the water level is lower. at what point should i be concerned? Is the water supposed to stay at a constant level, covering about half the beef? or is it supposed to slowly get lower?

Doesn't matter too much. I'd go for big chunks so they don't disappear entirely when you cook them.

Cut the ends off the onions, peel them, slice them in half across the middle, then cut each half in quarters, so you end up with 4 large wedges from each half. They'll be very limp by the time the pot roast is cooked. I'd use 2 or 3 yellow onions, preferably sweet Texas Vidalia.

Peel the carrots. Buy fairly large ones. Cut in pieces about 2 inches long, and cut the really thick chunks in half. I'd use a lot of carrots, 4 or 5 big ones.

Water will evaporate. Don't worry until the juices are getting very thick, then add a cup or so of water and stir the sauce. The object is to prevent the sauce from getting burned, which can happen fairly quickly. BUT, you don't want it soupy -- you want a medium thick gravy. So let the liquid level drop, and add water when it's down to an inch or two -- at the end, let it evaporate until it's as thick as you want it. If it's too thin, remove the meat and veggies, keep them warm, and boil it down a bit on the stove top. It's easier to do that than it is to un-burn the gravy. If it's REALLY too thin, you can always add a bit of flour or cornstarch.

Now just go do it! You can't screw it up! Trust yourself, and use a little common sense.

MLB:

Good advice from these folks. When braising, you usually add enough liquid to come half way up the roast. As Fry Boy said, the pot is really big for a small roast.

Sear the roast like you seared those steaks we discussed a while ago. Shoot for a nice dark brown color. No need for timing, go by the color.

When braising, there's no benefit to rubbing seasonings into the roast. Just add them to the pot. Everything cooks together. Rubbing is more for dry cooking methods.

After 3 hours of cooking in the oven, use your thermometer to check the temp as I suggested above. That's the final determining factor.

My favorite way to do pot roast is in a pressure cooker. It tastes great, saves time and doesn't heat up the kitchen. I brown a chuck roast, add a pkg or two onion soup mix and some water. Cook at 10 lbs pressure for 45 minutes. Cool before opening as instructed. Add carrots chunks and potatoes wedges(you can take the roast out at this point if you want to make room for more veggies) cook for 3-4 minutes at 15 lbs pressure. Cool fast. Makes lots of juice!

Mylegsbig said:
Gretchen, thank you, but im very meticulous.

BBQ sauce comes in different size bottles.

The roasts that i was looking at varied in weight from 2.5 lbs to about 4lbs.

there are too many variables.

i will not risk screwing up a 20 dollar piece of meat that took like 5 hours to cook.

If you are paying $20 for this meat, it is too good for this BBQ.WE are talking about CHUCK or ROUND NOT SIRLOIN.
It should cost about $2-3/lb. It is tough meat--that is why we are cooking it so long at such a low temp.

I can't get much more exact than 12oz of BBQ sauce (use a measuring cup=a 1 1/2C) and 12oz of beer (also = 1 1/2 C)--that is a normal can or bottle. Per 2-4# of beef--that's how us Bbqers do it.

In my opinion, cooks should not be so meticulous/exact in some places. Better stuff happens when you're a bit adventurous. Baking REQUIRES exactness--BBQ doesn't.

Last edited:
Gretchen said:
I can't get much more exact than 12oz of BBQ sauce

the meat was 4.99 a pound choice aged chuck, so more like 15 bucks

it was from one of those fancy grocers

I was talking about when you said this:

" Pour over a bottle of beer and a half bottle of BBQ sauce."

that is why i made the second post asking for clarification

remember this is the first time ever done this...and im cooking for someone else, not just myself

thanks everyone for all your help all i can do now is try my best. will let you know how it turns out.

Cheers

Just popped this roast in the oven with enough BBQ Sauce and Beer mixture to cover half way. I also included soy sauce and worchestershire sauce in this mixture, a couple dashes of each.

Question: There were areas of this roast that had little separations in them, and i cut some garlic cloves in half lengthwise, and stuck them in these little pockets.

Is this ok or should i take them out in a bit?

As GB said, there is very little wrong you can do to a pot roast or BBQ so far as spices are concerned, and garlic is one of the major food groups, isn't it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom