"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 07-28-2006, 10:24 PM   #1
Head Chef

Cooking A Roast. Preferably Small.

Want to make a roast, gonna buy a roasting pan.

Thing is i don't want some 4lb roast because im on a diet and it is just me and my fiance living here.

Are there any delicious high end cuts of meat to roast that are around 2 lbs?

Any ideas?

Also, what is the best way to cook a roast to make it come out tender? Ive heard of people using oven bags. Are those good?

also what should i look for in a good roasting pan? They are oval and have like 4 inch elevated sides right? What is the best material for them to be made of?

Cheers.

Also - Can i throw in big chunks of carrots and potatoes in there with the roast? Will they cook evenly?

Cheers. Also feel free to throw any of your favorite ways to prepare a roast if you'd choose.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:32 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Don't use oven bags--it steams the roast and there is no brown crust.
A sirloin tip roast is a tasty piece of meat, not terribly tender, but if you carve it across the grain in thin slices, it is quite nice.
You can roast meat in a 9X13 casserole dish.
You can put potatoes and veggies in to roast with the roast.
If you want a very nice tender cut you will need to go to sirloin or ribeye.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
Head Chef

Can i get a sirloin or ribeye in around 2 lbs?

i want to cook it slow. 250 degrees ok?

how do you time the vegetables? do you just leave em in there the whole time and pray they are ok?

if i cook the roast in a roasting pan, sitting on top of a rack, where do i put the veggies? on the rack too or in the pan below?

cheers
Old 07-28-2006, 10:37 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
Are there any delicious high end cuts of meat to roast that are around 2 lbs?
Try a 2-pound piece of filet or a sirloin roast (New York Strip).

Quote:
...what is the best way to cook a roast to make it come out tender?
Rub it with olive oil and garlic, season it with a little salt and a lot of pepper. Cook at high temperauture (400), uncovered, and use a meat thermometer. 120 is about medium rare.

Quote:
Ive heard of people using oven bags. Are those good?
NO! These work by holding in the moisture, which makes for steamed meat. The essence of roasting is dry heat that allows the surface to sear and carmelize.

Quote:
...what should i look for in a good roasting pan? They are oval and have like 4 inch elevated sides right? What is the best material for them to be made of?
I prefer stainless since it's easy to clean. Oval or rectangular are both good. No cover. You need a roasting rack -- the meat should be above the bottom of the pan to allow heat to circulate and to avoid cooking the meat in the fat drippings.

Quote:
Can i throw in big chunks of carrots and potatoes in there with the roast? Will they cook evenly?
No, they take much longer than a 2-pound roast. Now if you're doing a pot roast, that's another thing -- cooked entirely differently.

HTH!
Old 07-28-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Yes, you can get a 2# roast. I would get a ribeye.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:03 PM   #6
Sous Chef

If you do want something well done with veggies in a sauce, like a pot roast rather than a steak or prime rib, consider a brisket.

I have cooked brisket a dozen ways or more, and had it another 20, and they were all great!

As for diet, brisket is very lean.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryBoy
Try a 2-pound piece of filet or a sirloin roast (New York Strip).

Rub it with olive oil and garlic, season it with a little salt and a lot of pepper. Cook at high temperauture (400), uncovered, and use a meat thermometer. 120 is about medium rare.

NO! These work by holding in the moisture, which makes for steamed meat. The essence of roasting is dry heat that allows the surface to sear and carmelize.

I prefer stainless since it's easy to clean. Oval or rectangular are both good. No cover. You need a roasting rack -- the meat should be above the bottom of the pan to allow heat to circulate and to avoid cooking the meat in the fat drippings.

No, they take much longer than a 2-pound roast. Now if you're doing a pot roast, that's another thing -- cooked entirely differently.

HTH!
so the low and slow temperatures are for a lower cut of meat? a tenderloin roast should be cooked at a much higher temp?
Old 07-29-2006, 08:30 AM   #8
Master Chef

I know you said you didn't want a large roast, but keep in mind that roast leftovers are wonderful - & don't have to be fattening - in so may ways!!

They can be used in stirfries, sliced & served over salad greens, in sandwich wraps, etc., etc.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:45 AM   #9
Sous Chef

As for temperature, my comment about high heat really comes from the size of your roast. At 2 pounds, your best bet is a large steak, which I assume you want to come out like a steak -- well done on the outside, pink in the middle. A low temperature with something that small would tend to produce a roast that's gray all the way through, or at least it would be less seared on the outside.

Long, slow (low temperature) cooking in liquid is important for less tender cuts of meat, like a pot roast.

Slow cooking is also important with large roasts, including tender cuts such as a rib roast, but such cuts should be cooked dry. However, many people prefer to start such roasts at high temperature (450) to sear the outside, then reduce the oven to something like 300. This tends to seal in the juices.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:50 PM   #10
Head Chef

Fryboy i want it to be roast like, not just like a steak. i mean that meat that you can just kind of shred and pull apart and put a gravy on top

Tags
None