"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 11-10-2004, 10:56 AM   #11
Everymom

Goodweed, would you please suggest a specific temp for a long slow roast in the oven on the rack? I would be very interested in trying it that way but have no clue how to begin. My BBQ is propane and only good for a very quick grill as it works only at scorch. I would love to try a roast in the oven as you suggest.

Old 11-10-2004, 11:05 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

my mom always made a killer pot roast, using rump roast, top or bottom round. then it was rolled in s&p and spices/herbs, browned well on all sides, then simmered in water and wine for a few hours covered. towards the end, she would put in halved carrots, celery, and onions. when very tender, the roast was removed and plated atop the veggies, and the liquid was reduced, a little corn starch slurry if needed, and butter put in at the end for the gravy. mashed potatoes and early peas MUST be served with this, or don't even start it in the first place...

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 11:56 PM   #13
Master Chef

Alix; Start the roast at 475 and imediately turn down to 250. Roast until the thermometer reads 130 in the roast middle. Remove and slice thin. If you like your beef a bit more done (better for sandwiches) then cook to 140-145. To get smokey flavor, add a bit of liquid smoke to a brining solution and let the pre-cooked meat sit in it overnight. I wouldn't add sugar to this brine however.

Rubbing the meat all over with garlic, or putting garlic slivers into slits will add to the flavor as well.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 12:03 AM   #14
Everymom

Thank you Goodweed, I will try that. I will post my results soon.

Tags
None